• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

HI! Complete Noob here =)

sl1v3r

Hey everyone, complete noob here. and I do mean COMPLETE noob. im fascinated by all of this, and I'm curious about what else in involved in being a member of the furry community. are there get togethers (before and after all this corona stuff). roll playing? what else is involved in the furry fandom? =)

Im also an artist and it looks like this is a great place with lots of creative people here. I'm looking forward to making some friends!

FooFoo4230

Hello! Generally, the most common behaviors are:
  • appreciating anthropomorphized animals of any kind (this is kind of the main idea, and can be any type of animal. Yes, it’s still a furry if it’s an insect, robot, fish, whatever. The main requirement is whether you consider it to be furry or not!)
  • Making or having a fursona, which can be an extension of your personality (or certain facets of your personality), and it generally has a fairly constant appearance (something like species, color, color pattern, etc)
  • And probably other stuff I’m forgetting! There’s a lot of things, but these are the 2 near-universal activities!
(Note: I don’t quite consider myself a furry, but I’d say I’m more of one than the average non-fur... so, yeah, I may not know much.)
If you want to learn more, I may not be the best person to ask... If you want to read some interesting research findings, there’s: https://furscience.com/research-findings/, which is somewhat interesting!
And if you’re feeling left out with a standard profile picture, there’s https://thisfursonadoesnotexist.com/, which has AI-generated pictures. (That’s what I’m using for my picture!)

sl1v3r

Hello! Generally, the most common behaviors are:
  • appreciating anthropomorphized animals of any kind (this is kind of the main idea, and can be any type of animal. Yes, it’s still a furry if it’s an insect, robot, fish, whatever. The main requirement is whether you consider it to be furry or not!)
  • Making or having a fursona, which can be an extension of your personality (or certain facets of your personality), and it generally has a fairly constant appearance (something like species, color, color pattern, etc)
  • And probably other stuff I’m forgetting! There’s a lot of things, but these are the 2 near-universal activities!
(Note: I don’t quite consider myself a furry, but I’d say I’m more of one than the average non-fur... so, yeah, I may not know much.)
If you want to learn more, I may not be the best person to ask... If you want to read some interesting research findings, there’s: https://furscience.com/research-findings/, which is somewhat interesting!
And if you’re feeling left out with a standard profile picture, there’s https://thisfursonadoesnotexist.com/, which has AI-generated pictures. (That’s what I’m using for my picture!)
thank you so much for the info. im actually interested in how people came about their fursonas (so I posted in that appropriate thread), but I'm an artist so im not so much worried about kinda some art for a fursona, I'm going to design my own. I'm just fascinated with this whole world I've discovered here. and I think I'm like you that I'm not sure id consider myself a furry... just exploring. is your avatar a cat?

FooFoo4230

My avatar’s some kind of small (probably around the size of a rodent) creature, but I don’t quite know what it is. I call it a “Pokémon-thing”, but I really have no idea what it is! Because it’s AI-generated, it has traits of multiple things, but I don’t really know what it would be! =)

Yakamaru

Shai'Hulud Whisperer. Or a sand hobo
Welcome to the forum.

Hope you enjoy your stay here

trivean

Engineering Wolf
Welcome to the forums and the fandom. And don't worry, we all were noobs at one point. There are conventions and meets where you can meet other furs IRL (well, at least there, hopefully, will be after this Covid stuff), and there's role playing of different types, you can find a section about it here on the forums.

As for the fandom itself, there's some different types out there. There's art and artists, and fursuit makers. There's animations, comics, songs, and writing as well (I dabble in art but I'm mostly in it for sharing my writing tbh). All in all, we're just a group that enjoys things with anthropomorphic animal characters really.