• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Hi, first time reaching out into the furry community

Hiridor

Probably lurking.
Hi, I'm from the UK and I've known myself to be a furry for about 6-7 years, but I have never reached out into the community nor created a fursona. The main reason for this is my social anxiety, i find it rather difficult to even try to meet new people or communities, which is why for the past few years I've only ever interacted with the same 6 people for a few years (none of them are furries themselves). All of this has been online as well, I have no IRL friends as some would put it. For the past 3 years I've shut myself away from the world around me, and at the age of 23 I'm seemingly throwing my life away. I can probably count the amount of times I've left my home on 1 hand in those 3 years. I've spent the majority of this time gaming, and I love to game. The main games that i usually play are Guild Wars 2, Path of Exile and League of Legends. But lately I've found myself without the motivation to even play, and the few friends that I have are seemingly growing distant.

I know this post may seem a bit much compared to some of the other posts I've read through before making mine, but i just wanted to clarify why I am making it. For me this is taking a lot to make, but I'm also hoping that this is a step in the right direction to help get myself out of the hole I dug myself into and start interacting with new people. Also if possible, if anyone could recommend any furry communities that I should get into, would be appreciated.

Last edited:

FooFoo4230

Hello! I’m sorry to hear about that. I understand, I was feeling that way myself for a little while. I’m not the person to talk to about this (I’m only 15), but I can still welcome you, and tell you that everyone here is quite lovely! Everyone is pretty nice here, as long as you avoid the more political sections (I haven’t seen them, but I’ve heard that they aren’t super polite).

About the “no fursona” thing, you’re more furry than I am (I haven’t been fully brainwashed yet :p), so don’t worry about that. If you don’t want one, everyone will be fine with that. If you do feel like you need one, take your time! It’s not like you’re going to get yelled at for not having one!

One place that I would recommend is the “Forum Games” section, it’s lots of fun!

The furs on here are very accepting, so don’t worry! If you just make posts wherever, and jump in when you feel comfortable, you’ll make friends! (Yes, they are internet friends, which are not “real” friends, but during this coronavirus, that’s the best you can get! :D)

I’m surprised that nobody else has greeted you yet, but they’ll come by soon!

MainHammond

Former Big Toasty Cinnamon Bun
That's adulthood in a nutshell.
Our childhood friends made their own lives, some of them already built families, and all our new friends will be met online or in our jobs.

But that doesn't mean online friends are different from IRL friends. They are persons like you and they feel the same insecurities that you do.

So feel no shame and you can count on us as your friends (but I could accept a drink first).

And about the fursona........I don't have one either. I don't even have a nickname (I like Silver but it wasn't available).

I don't know what else to say. I've only been in this community for a week a besides forcing me to eat mangoes, everyone has been kind to me.

So welcome to the community.

KD142000

Leather-clad Lobo
Welcome to the forums!

We all have our struggles in life, so most of us understand the social anxiety and other things that hold us back. I hope you'll be able to take something good away from this community, like I did :3

Do take care, now, and don't be afraid to open up.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
Ah, your story sounds a bit like mine. I'm 31 and do not have any friends in real life, either. And I also thought this would be a good place to try and stretch outside my comfort zone a bit. I love playing online games, as well. @Gemi42 enjoys GW2, too! I used to play and might come back to check out all the new things, at least. I've found some others who enjoy FFXIV. My game of choice is WoW~ But I've been playing less and trying to work on my art, more.

But anyways, welcome! If you want to chat, my inbox is always open. I hope you are able to make some friends here ^-^ Everyone does seem super nice and accepting.

Mike_Wolf

Hey man.
Iv struggled with similar problems in the past. Its not a fun thing to deal with to put it lightly because it feels like you just can't. You want to but there is an almost physical barrier preventing you from doing things.
Iv only been on this forum for a few days but im liking it so far. The people seem pretty great honestly.
Maybe we should set a virtual happy hour? Drinks, appetizers and fuzzy bs? Lol

Gemi42

Trash Connoisseur
Hi, I'm from the UK and I've known myself to be a furry for about 6-7 years, but I have never reached out into the community nor created a fursona. The main reason for this is my social anxiety, i find it rather difficult to even try to meet new people or communities, which is why for the past few years I've only ever interacted with the same 6 people for a few years (none of them are furries themselves). All of this has been online as well, I have no IRL friends as some would put it. For the past 3 years I've shut myself away from the world around me, and at the age of 24 I'm seemingly throwing my life away. I can probably count the amount of times I've left my home on 1 hand in those 3 years. I've spent the majority of this time gaming, and I love to game. The main games that i usually play are Guild Wars 2, Path of Exile and League of Legends. But lately I've found myself without the motivation to even play, and the few friends that I have are seemingly growing distant.

I know this post may seem a bit much compared to some of the other posts I've read through before making mine, but i just wanted to clarify why I am making it. For me this is taking a lot to make, but I'm also hoping that this is a step in the right direction to help get myself out of the hole I dug myself into and start interacting with new people. Also if possible, if anyone could recommend any furry communities that I should get into, would be appreciated.

Did someone mention Guild Wars 2?! Erm, I mean, Welcome to the Forums!

Yeah, I can relate to the story a little bit. I do hope that you enjoy your time here in the community.

Despite being over on the NA servers for GW2, I am always down to play! I'm a level 80 Asuran/Ranger that's beaten heart of thorns and working on the living World season 2. Feel free to get in contact with me if you wanna play a little.
:)

Hiridor

Probably lurking.
Thanks for everyone for the warm welcome! Bit of a late reply I know, but thanks.

Ah, your story sounds a bit like mine. I'm 31 and do not have any friends in real life, either. And I also thought this would be a good place to try and stretch outside my comfort zone a bit. I love playing online games, as well. @Gemi42 enjoys GW2, too! I used to play and might come back to check out all the new things, at least. I've found some others who enjoy FFXIV. My game of choice is WoW~ But I've been playing less and trying to work on my art, more.

But anyways, welcome! If you want to chat, my inbox is always open. I hope you are able to make some friends here ^-^ Everyone does seem super nice and accepting.

I used to play WoW myself. I Started playing WoW at the beginning of Legion but quite 1 month into BFA as the guild I was in fell apart, may come back to it in Shadowlands if it looks good. (I still have nightmares of mythic kil'jaden progression)

Hey man.
Iv struggled with similar problems in the past. Its not a fun thing to deal with to put it lightly because it feels like you just can't. You want to but there is an almost physical barrier preventing you from doing things.
Iv only been on this forum for a few days but im liking it so far. The people seem pretty great honestly. Maybe we should set a virtual happy hour? Drinks, appetizers and fuzzy bs? Lol

Yep, that's exactly how it feels sometimes, it sucks. I might take you up on that offer, but warning, I'm not much of a talker.

Did someone mention Guild Wars 2?! Erm, I mean, Welcome to the Forums!

Yeah, I can relate to the story a little bit. I do hope that you enjoy your time here in the community.

Despite being over on the NA servers for GW2, I am always down to play! I'm a level 80 Asuran/Ranger that's beaten heart of thorns and working on the living World season 2. Feel free to get in contact with me if you wanna play a little.
:)
Glad your having fun playing through the story, some of the maps are really stunning visually. I had a blast with my first play through. Unfortunately though I am over on EU, and I now spend the majority of my time in the WvW Game mode, but if you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

Hiridor

Probably lurking.
No alcohol for Hiridor?
I've drank alcohol before, just never been drunk. In fact I think its been almost 3 years since I last drank alcohol, I suppose it has never really appealed to me.

Mike_Wolf

I've drank alcohol before, just never been drunk. In fact I think its been almost 3 years since I last drank alcohol, I suppose it has never really appealed to me.

No worries. Its all good.
We sont need booze it just tends to make me more talkative and goofy.

Traxon

Hello there! I'm not the most social person, but I am open to just about everyone. No judgement here :3
If you want to play league of legends with me sometime, add me! Jaxxxal. I'm not super great, I've only been playing a few months. I main illaoi, warwick, and master yi, but I want to get back into playing Aurelion sometime, and maybe learn a couple of other toplane champs.

Hiridor

Probably lurking.
Hello there! I'm not the most social person, but I am open to just about everyone. No judgement here :3
If you want to play league of legends with me sometime, add me! Jaxxxal. I'm not super great, I've only been playing a few months. I main illaoi, warwick, and master yi, but I want to get back into playing Aurelion sometime, and maybe learn a couple of other toplane champs.
Hey! What region is it you play on because I tried adding you but had no luck, I'm on EUW. My name in game is Egg Bait.

Hiridor

Probably lurking.
Ah, I'm NA. I don't think we can play then, can we? :(
I think I have a NA account somewhere, I think I made it back in season 5, just gotta remember the name.

haremoon

hey, i've been dealing w/ social anxiety my entire adult life, and it's great to hear about others making progress ♥♥♥♥ here's hoping it keeps getting better for you.

Water Draco

Next LondonFurs?? Please stay tuned
Hello and welcome to the forums

There are ways through the fandom to find what helps you with social anxiety. Everyone has there own path.

When things get back to normal there are plenty of fur meets that take place across the UK and it is quite normal for there to be some form of assistance for people attending for the first time.