• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

HOMESTUCK THREAD

ObsidianLaughter

HI GUYYYYYYYYYYYS
I had another thought but yours seems more sound, especially since I just MSP wiki'd that as you put it down.

General-jwj

Prime Minister of Belgium
This thread hasn't been getting much love lately it would seem !

Anyway, exciting developments right ? Scratch Kids all have names, Sburb Alpha is about to get in full swing and let's not forget all this Batterwitch situation !

Also, only sorta-related but I'm on the test-run of this great project on the MSPA forums : MMORPGSTUCK. The idea is to do a forum adventure type roleplay based on Homestuck, but including over sixty players ! Shit's gonna be wild.

And any of you witnessed the ensuing shitstorm after Hussie posted on his tumblr that "all his character were a-racial" because they were coloured white not as in caucasian but as in blank ? Pretty deep stuff. It started a raging debate in the forums that several people have advised me not to visit because of the high-risks of brain damage and RAEG ... good times.

And what are your thoughts on Vriska's status ? I started a minor debate in the forums when I stated that I thought Vriska should stay dead and the Vriska threads were all over me like bees over a guy kicking a beehive.

Ad Hoc

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
And any of you witnessed the ensuing shitstorm after Hussie posted on his tumblr that "all his character were a-racial" because they were coloured white not as in caucasian but as in blank ? Pretty deep stuff. It started a raging debate in the forums that several people have advised me not to visit because of the high-risks of brain damage and RAEG ... good times.
I think it's a cheap cop-out. By that logic, Rose and Dave have "blank" hair. Could I draw them as black-haired and it would be canon? Wouldn't it look a little weird if I made them black or or brown or red but they were still blond? Why don't John or Jade have blank hair?

Bro (er, Dirk? whatever) used to be canon white, there was a pesterlog that called him "a white rapper" or something to that effect, although it's been edited out now. If Bro's white, then Dave, Rose, and Mom most likely are as well, logically.

Hussie made a whitewashed human cast. He should own up to that instead of lying about his original intentions. Sucks but at least it wasn't overt racism, I don't think anyone is going to drop the comic for it. If he feels bad about it he should just acknowledge the problem and apologize if he wants to, not come up with this farfetched rationalization. Anyway, Hivebent explored race/class/etc., issues where Homestuck didn't, even if it didn't link to real-world scenarios directly.

General-jwj

Yeah I remember that log about Bro being white ... I think I read it not too long ago.

Anyway I never thought of race as important in a story anyway. I said as much in the forums and got a lot of flak for it but what ? I'm white, most of my friends are white, so I don't see any reason why I should imagine the characters as anything other than white.

I also said I thought it was wrong to give Hussie shit for writing the characters the way he wants them. They're all white, so what ? I don't see the issue. But apparently it's automatically racist to only write white characters in a story where race doesn't really have importance.

Volkodav

Dad****er
hahha why do people care so much about the ethnicities of the characters?

It's a damn comic. If you want Dave to become Darnell and Rose to become Rolandra then go right ahead

General-jwj

Last edited:

ObsidianLaughter

HI GUYYYYYYYYYYYS
And what are your thoughts on Vriska's status ? I started a minor debate in the forums when I stated that I thought Vriska should stay dead and the Vriska threads were all over me like bees over a guy kicking a beehive.

Being a bitch, she probably should stay dead, but at the same time, I could see the benefits of keeping her around.. Though I don't know if she'll ever actually get over being a bitch and actually.. you know, being nice to everyone she's around. More people probably end up like Tavros if she comes back.

Ad Hoc

Yeah I remember that log about Bro being white ... I think I read it not too long ago.

Anyway I never thought of race as important in a story anyway. I said as much in the forums and got a lot of flak for it but what ? I'm white, most of my friends are white, so I don't see any reason why I should imagine the characters as anything other than white.

I also said I thought it was wrong to give Hussie shit for writing the characters the way he wants them. They're all white, so what ? I don't see the issue. But apparently it's automatically racist to only write white characters in a story where race doesn't really have importance.
Whitewashing in an individual comic/movie/whatever isn't really a huge issue, but it is reflective of a greater problem in the media as a whole. Non-whites mostly show up as villains or background characters in the media. If they do end up in a protagonist role, they're still usually secondary/tertiary characters and often outright tokenized, and many are there for comedic relief, or they're expendable and get killed to increase the drama. That's problematic if you think about it, these character just are not equals. This isn't really that harmful directly, but the fact is that media does have an impact on culture as a whole. (Why else would advertising work? Why else would people swarm out to get dalmations or huskies or border collies every time a movie about them comes out? Why else do girls starve themselves to look like models? Why else did everyone freak the fuck out over Y2K when the whole thing was pretty much bullshit? People are swayed by the media and these little messages do matter.)

I mean, it's bad enough that it's nearly impossible to make a movie with a predominately non-white cast. Just have a look at this bullshit. It took George Lucas 23 years to get Red Tails in threaters, even though he produced the movie on his own dime and it would have cost relatively little for studios to distribute it, even though it was critically lauded, even though he's goddamn George Lucas, pretty much because it has a black main cast. That's crap.

So, it is an issue in the big picture.

Is it the worst thing ever that Hussie did it? No, not really. It's just a tiny, fairly unimportant piece of a much bigger problem. (And it isn't as ever there can't ever be all-white casts, although they're certainly overrepresented right now.) But he did have an opportunity to fight that bigger problem and he didn't do it. It would have taken just about zero effort for him to give one or two of the kids darker skin. Or, he could have introduced the "blank skin" thing right away, instead of shoehorning it in later. (I actually really like that idea, but it's a damned fact that he didn't mean for it in the beginning.) But he didn't, and there's nothing wrong with criticizing him for that.

Now, harassing him about it? Boycotting the comic for it? I think that might be overkill, although I am white so my perspective might be off. Still, it's . . . a very tiny part of a big problem. Smashing Homestuck against the wall isn't going to fix the big problem. I think that he really gets better about it later on in the comic as well. Examining and overcoming race/class issues is one of Hivebent's biggest subtexts, and it's even possible to read a message about it in the uniting of Dersite and Prospitian forces under WV on Skaia. Getting away from that issue as a whole, however, I would really consider Homestuck fairly progressive--it does a damn good job on sexuality and gender equality.

tl;dr, Whitewashing is an issue in the media as a whole, but Homestuck is a tiny, tiny brick in that wall and it doesn't have much in the way of overt racism so I don't think Hussie should be demonized. Anyway the comic is overall pretty progressive.

Although it does have a lot of ableism problems.

Last edited:

Maisuki

Gosh why does the internet keep pestering me to help fight SOPA I'm not even American what do they care about my opinion ?

Because it affects the world as a whole. Not just HURRMURICKA.

Edit: oh fuck I didn't even mean to time when I made this post... IT KEEPS HAPPENING

General-jwj

No I get that, I'm just complaining that I get bombarded by this when I don't even have the power to affect the outcome. Obviously they (the people who make these) can't know thi but still, it's aggravating to know some foreign power is wanting to play with my internetz and there's nothing I can do about it.

Tomias_Redford

Knight Of Time
After my net dies again for like 11 days, I get it back. I go onto mspaintadventures.com, and all is well, I become overjoyed to see such a shitload of updates. I have to click on view all pages to find where I last was! But as I click on the first of the new updates. HUSSIE BLACKED IT OUT.

Motherfucker trolled me >.> :V

ObsidianLaughter

HI GUYYYYYYYYYYYS
^ You are not mistaken.
I own the hoodie and its exactly that color.
I must say I'm slightly amused by this.

Ad Hoc

I'm a little embarrassed that it took me so long to figure out that she was going through dream bubbles.

Nice to see that Equius and roboAradia got to settle down and spend some time together. But why no Tavros.

Littlerock

numb with cold
He looked kind of dead as well.

I'm glad I wasn't just seeing that. I didn't want to mention it, because I wasn't sure if it was really there, or if my computer had just fucked up again.
(Even if I set the flash player to the lowest quality, I still get about 1fps, so it's difficult to tell if some of this shit is legit or not.)

Shit fuck dead beep beep meow :c

Ad Hoc

Also where were his butterfly wings ?

I think he's an imaginary construct by Nepeta or something.
Good eye . . .

I'm wondering if he's not the Sufferer, or something. Don't really have much evidence to go on admittedly, but it'd be kind of strange if we don't see much more of the ancestors in the new session. We know that there's troll involvement in the new session (the Ophiuchus troll, the Batterwitch almost certainly being the Empress, lusii running around, vague references to the Alternian Empire, etc.,)--if we do ever see them in a more direct fashion, why wouldn't they have the same generational flip? Still a little early to be sure, though, and it still doesn't really explain the costume.

Or, possibly it is dead Karkat and he just likes shopping at whatpumpkin.