• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Horror and monster fans please stand up.

Doodle Bunny

Definitely a rabbit... 100%...
For anyone that doesn’t know, I am a fan of all things spooky. Halloween doesn’t end in October—it’s all year round.

I want to know how many of you are like me. Especially the ones that design monsters and draw horror art. Or even dark fantasy/sci-fi. I dig that too.

Or even if you have a favorite artist/writer to discuss, talk about it.

Movies? Hell yeah! Talk about it!

Where my freaks at?

Slytherin Umbreon

Black Lives Matter
I go through periods of just watching nothing but horror, completely un-phased.
Then months later, have trouble sleeping, thinking I heard something, feeling like something darts across the room every time I turn my back.

F

fulffy512

I love horror/dark fantasy, anything from films to dark ambient/doom metal/gothic. Pretty the main hobby outside of anything furry.

Pasta

PURPLE PERSECUTION
I looooooove horror, especially well done existential/psychological/body horror--like the kind of stuff where the line between reality and illusion is thin to nonexistent, morality is relative, and the fear comes more from the perceived loss of one's mind/self than from anything else.

I'd say some of my favorite horror loosely in that vein would be like the first half of The Babadook, I Am Legend(more the book than the movie), Shutter Island, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Soylent Green, Blade Runner, Logan's Run, The Thing, etc. I want my horror to make me feel gutturally conflicted/uncomfortable, where I can almost empathize with the "monster/villain", but still abhor what they're doing((which I think The Thing And 2001 in particular do SUPER well, HAL especially is such a nuanced antagonist))

More grindhouse-esque, slasher/monster flicks are cool too, I just tend to get frustrated with the writing in those types of flicks waaaay easier and it messes with my immersion something fierce when that does happen :< That being said, I'm super weak for George Romero zombie flicks and anything with some super creepy, more grudge/pulse styled ghosts.

.....and because it's relevant and I have to vent: The Babadook easily could've been one of the best horror movies ever if it didn't go the direction it did in the second half of the film imo :< it had so much potential....

(((also, also, agreed that a lot of CGI effects don't hold up as well as practical effects over time--like I was just watching Mama the other day and the bits where she's fully in shot look TERRIBLE now, even though the rest of the movie held up pretty well)))

artichuka

I love horror! but I hate jumpscare/basic horror movies that just ride on the spoooooky scenes to carry the mediocre plot. A movie with a bad plot and no substance that just makes you jump a few times is just not rewarding compared to a movie that leaves you thinking about it for days after. A fantastic example is Hereditary, I genuinely think it's one of the best if not the best horror movie I've ever watched.
Another really memorable one is Sinister, it does a few cheap jumpscares (lawnmower scene) but the pacing is good and the sountrack is fantastic!! There's a few really good percussion based pieces that really bump the tension and creepiness up a notch. It's very unique. I honestly could talk about horror movies all day.

I used to be a regular on the Horrorspeak board back in the day if anyone remembers that.

If you want to see a really weird-surreal zombie movie, Cemetery Man aka Dellamorte Dellamore is a really cool movie, with good effects.

xremeidiot

Friendly Red-Backed Butcher-Birb Boi
I like just about every type of horror there is. Surreal fever dreams like "Antichrist" and "Eraserhead," messy body horror like "The Thing" and "The Fly," even total garbage like "The Incredible Melting Man" and "The Creeping Terror." There's just something fun about seeing the most demented things people have ever thought of being brought to life.

F

fulffy512

Wait do Black comedies count?. Because UK show Jam by chris morris one of the few non-horrors to spook me.

Guardian135

I quite like certain types of horror movies. The cheap jumpscare crap does nothing for me, but films like the Final Destination series are kinda interesting. The way it plays itself as a high tension thriller as well as a horror film. You know a character is going to be offed, but you don't know how, or by what means. 100 potentially lethal things could be occuring in a scene and you have no idea which one will result in a casualty. It could be a combination, it could be none, it could be all of them.

It actually kinda makes for a good RP scenario as well if you're into that kind of stuff. There's no obvious 'monster', its just a character versus an environment that is being subtly altered to try and off them.

Andie

i feast on souls and mac & cheese >.<
For anyone that doesn’t know, I am a fan of all things spooky. Halloween doesn’t end in October—it’s all year round.

I want to know how many of you are like me. Especially the ones that design monsters and draw horror art. Or even dark fantasy/sci-fi. I dig that too.

Where my freaks at?

I love creature features! they're some of my favorites! If you love cool monsters and horror stories you should watch Crypt TV on youtube!

N

Nyro46

I love creepy and surreal stuff. One of my biggest interests though is the paranormal. I don’t know why but it has always fascinated me a lot. Even as a kid I would find any of the ghost shows playing on TV and watch them. Though my dad really likes paranormal stuff too, so maybe that’s where my interest came from . . .

I also like surreal creepy stuff. For example, in one of my stories, there is a villain who is a basically kind of undead, cybernetic dog that has taken over the laboratory of his deceased owner (it’s a weird universe where the animals are mostly anthropomorphic, but humans still treat them as if they aren’t free-thinking). The dog has used other humans as test subjects for his virtual world, but a lot of his tests went wrong and some humans got re-materialized wrong, so his place has random human parts sticking out of the walls, like hands and faces phased through. (I actually got this idea from a similar description I heard of a movie. I never saw the particular movie, or know the name, and I don’t think it was even a good movie, but that idea oddly intrigued me and I wanted to incorporate it somewhere).

My favourite kind of horror is psychological horror, rather than just “scary monsters” and gore. (Though that’s not to say I dislike monsters, I think they can be very interesting and cool!) but I’ve always kinda wanted to make some kind of horror game or movie/series that used more psychological elements, and just some weird things, probably surreal things, because I can have a really messed up imagination sometimes, lol. I haven’t really watched a ton of horror movies though exactly, but one of my favourite movies is Coraline, and though it’s not horror, it is still the kind of creepy and eerie I really like. And while some people may laugh at this, I really love the FNaF games, especially the second one. Something about the atmosphere of the second FNaF I really love, and I just really like old, creepy 20th century things like old dolls and animatronics, and I also have a fascination with clowns.

Jackpot Raccuki

Although half canine, is not a wolf.
I love monsters and horror movies. Mind you, I only get mad at most since they just seem so typical at times, maybe it's just me when I was once a Media student and now I just analyze movies and able to know what happens...

Eh, eitherway the monster designs are pretty nice, maybe not scary to me but sure as hell would scare others! >:3
Mind you, doesn't have to be a gore boi monster, I mean IT is a pretty good "monster", after all it plays with a common fear, clowns.

But of course I don't find him scary, just a very interesting design that I know would scare others.

I mean, that's a scary accurate gif.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I've been going through a large collection of Lovecraft audiobooks lately.

He wrote a lot of shorter tales so they're relatively easy to go through, but they're all connected in some way.

LeFay

Professional meme inspector
Horror is honestly my favorite movie genre. I'm not the biggest fan of monster flicks but paranormal ones especially with demons or religious horror movies are my favorite. For the most part though now a days it's hard to find a good horror movie. A lot of th e new horror movies did nothing for me. I like it more when it has an interesting plot instead of just trying to jump scare every 30 seconds. And on top of that a lot of them have become predictable. I also like when the movie has a lot of gore or is over the top in its depictions and delivery. It usually makes me laugh more then it scares me but I love seeing that sort of stuff even if its cheesy.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
Horror is honestly my favorite movie genre. I'm not the biggest fan of monster flicks but paranormal ones especially with demons or religious horror movies are my favorite. For the most part though now a days it's hard to find a good horror movie. A lot of th e new horror movies did nothing for me. I like it more when it has an interesting plot instead of just trying to jump scare every 30 seconds. And on top of that a lot of them have become predictable. I also like when the movie has a lot of gore or is over the top in its depictions and delivery. It usually makes me laugh more then it scares me but I love seeing that sort of stuff even if its cheesy.
Dead Alive is the best representation of over-the-top horror.

HeartlessSora

The new Sora has come!

Where my freaks at?
Hell yeah! you are right! Horror is not only on october but yes every single year!
I my self am more of a horror gamer than a movie watcher haha
Alien isolation, Outlast 1 and 2, the old slenders, silent hill...
I love horror games! totally my thing! as well horror anime! tho i do need to watch more horror movies haha

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
So I just wikipedia'd it and oh my God it sounds awesome. I'm definitely going to give that a watch tonight. It literally sounds like a more out of control Quarantine.
It's absolutely fantastic.
It's so memorable and quotable.

"I kick ass for the Lord!"

LeFay

Professional meme inspector
It's absolutely fantastic.
It's so memorable and quotable.

"I kick ass for the Lord!"

I love all that cheesy stuff, honestly my guilty pleasure. If you want to check out an absolute beast of a movie (although it maybe hard to find) check out the Grind house movies. It's a 2 part movie with 2 different directors, one being Quinten Tarantino. They are 10/10 on both horror and action with cheese just melted all over them.

Toby_Morpheus

Hello, Proto
I love all that cheesy stuff, honestly my guilty pleasure. If you want to check out an absolute beast of a movie (although it maybe hard to find) check out the Grind house movies. It's a 2 part movie with 2 different directors, one being Quinten Tarantino. They are 10/10 on both horror and action with cheese just melted all over them.
Yeah those are good too.
Look into Toxic Avenger if you don't already know.