• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

Horror Movies!

AceQuorthon

International Man Of Mystery
Horror is probably my favorite movie genre along with westerns and I always love to find new and great horror movies to watch! So feel free to post recommendations and talk about horror movies here, I’m so looking forward to seeing what y’all come up with! Let’s start the thread with a Top 10 favorite horror movies list!

1. Silence Of The Lambs
2. Rosemary’s Baby
3. The Shining
4. Alien
5. Jacob’s Ladder
6. The Lighthouse
7. Evil Dead II
8. Suspiria
9. The Thing
10. Dawn Of The Dead

Yakamaru

Mr. Villanous charm
4. Alien
9. The Thing
10. Dawn Of The Dead
Ok, you're my favourite goat on this forum now, hands down. Throw in Hellraiser, some Tim Burton's movies, Predator and Netflix's Castlevania and you have yourself a lot of good movies.

Vlad the Impaler is also a good movie too now that I think about it..

AceQuorthon

Ok, you're my favourite goat on this forum now, hands down. Throw in Hellraiser, some Tim Burton's movies, Predator and Netflix's Castlevania and you have yourself a lot of good movies.

Vlad the Impaler is also a good movie too now that I think about it..
I fucking love Hellraiser too, definitely one of my favorite horror movies of all time as well! It’s on place 18 on my list of favorite horror movies so not that far away from the top!

Sam Akuchin Wamm

Roundworm In Goat Guise
There's a terrible remake of it which i find more people have seen than the original.

The original is more creepy and suspenseful and the remake is almost an action movie.

SkyboundTerror

Thrashing About
Hereditary is an absolute must if you're a fan of horror. It warrants multiple re-watches and it can be talked about for weeks.

My favorite horror movie has to be The Orphanage. It's a Spanish horror/drama film about... an orphanage. It does lean more into the drama but god, it's one of the few movies that actually makes me cry.

Don't Breathe, You're Next, Hush, and Gerald's Game are somewhat recent movies that I personally feel are must-watches.

AceQuorthon

Hereditary is an absolute must if you're a fan of horror. It warrants multiple re-watches and it can be talked about for weeks.

My favorite horror movie has to be The Orphanage. It's a Spanish horror/drama film about... an orphanage. It does lean more into the drama but god, it's one of the few movies that actually makes me cry.

Don't Breathe, You're Next, Hush, and Gerald's Game are somewhat recent movies that I personally feel are must-watches.
I absolutely love Hereditary until I don’t, I think that’s the best way to explain it. The family drama stuff is absolutely amazing and one of the best things I’ve seen in recent years, but I just think it falls a bit flat at the end with the sudden paranormal stuff and abrupt ending. Still it’s an 8/10 for me and it would probably be a 10 if the ending worked for me.

Not seen The Orphanage but I have seen Don’t Breathe (4/10) and Gerald’s Game (8/10), and I really do wish more people talked about the latter one. Such an unusual horror movie but still very engaging and rewarding at the end.

Nicholas Cage has starred in two of my more recent favorite horror movies funnily enough, that is Mandy and Color Out Of Space. Both are not perfect in any means but still super memorable and such a crazy ride through and through. Totally understand people who are more reserved with these movies but by god do I love them!

AceQuorthon

I should mention Midsommer and The Strange Thing About The Johnsons too. Really, anything by Ari Aster.
Midsommer is pretty good yeah! I'd also say that anything from Robert Eggers is a must watch! (2 movies lol)
The Lighthouse is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen and The Witch is really damn good too! 10/10 and 8/10.

I always had a hard time appreciating horror movies. Jump scares are cheap, gore doesn't bother me, serial killers and zombies are dumb, and I roll my eyes at most religious themes like demonic possession.

I loved Alien and I'm one of the few that thought the original Blair Witch Project was scary. It invoked a very strong sense of dread and getting lost makes me very anxious.

AceQuorthon

I suggest Japanese horrors like One missed call, Ju-On (The Curse), The Ring.
And "Final destination" (haha, so many ways to die).
The Ring is pretty good I’d say! Probably gonna buy that franchise sometime soon, found a nice box with them all!

AceQuorthon

I just saw two random horror movies on Netflix, that being Hush and the second one being Devil.

Hush was pretty good I’d say, it’s about a mute and deaf woman living out in the woods who becomes a target for a serial killer stalking around. There were some stupid decisions along the way from pretty much all the characters in the movie but I didn’t think it affected the movie that much, and the great thrills here and there certainly made up for all the short comings the movie had. It’s a 7/10 for me.

Devil on the other hand was probably not very good, but it certainly was entertaining I’d say. The movie wasn’t totally garbage like I thought it would be and some of the moral and philosophical questions asked throughout the short running time left some form of impact on me surprisingly enough, even though I’m not sure if that impact was anything noteworthy honestly. It’s about five strangers getting stuck in an elevator while slowly their backgrounds get revealed one by one and we get to figure out why fate brought these five people to this place at the same time. A lot of the scares was stupidly pathetic, a lot of the dialouge was laughable and the story was definitely unrefined. But again, surprisingly not absolute garbage. It’s a very reserved 6/10 for me.

zandelux

AKA Kardek
I'm one of the few that thought the original Blair Witch Project was scary.

You're not alone! BWP is underrated. Most of the complaints come from people who wanted a traditional horror "payoff". I thought it was pretty great.

Not doing a full top 10, but thought I'd add some that haven't been mentioned yet.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the first): precursor to the slasher films of the late 70s and 80s. It shows very little on screen violence but if you have a vivid imagination it's got some of the most disturbing images you'll ever see in your head. 80% chance of turning vegetarian after you watch this.

Carrie: while still overrated by some critics, IMO, the one big scene is enough to make this one a favorite. Most of the rest is kinda meh, but that one scene... Holy crap!

Halloween (the first): like Carrie I don't think this one deserves all the praise it gets, but it's still very influential. The first half of the movie is perfect for setting the scene, and it doesn't rely on jump scares. In fact the killer is kind of in plain sight the whole time, which is a different kind of scary. I'm not a fan of the second half because the killer just comes across as kinda dopey and incompetent.

Poltergeist: still the gold standard for supernatural horror. It scared me shitless as a pre-teen and growing up hasn't dulled that very much.

The Machinist: not true horror, more of a psychological thriller. But like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, if you let your imagination run wild it will show you some of the scariest things imaginable. It blurs the line between reality and nightmares.

AceQuorthon

You're not alone! BWP is underrated. Most of the complaints come from people who wanted a traditional horror "payoff". I thought it was pretty great.

Not doing a full top 10, but thought I'd add some that haven't been mentioned yet.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the first): precursor to the slasher films of the late 70s and 80s. It shows very little on screen violence but if you have a vivid imagination it's got some of the most disturbing images you'll ever see in your head. 80% chance of turning vegetarian after you watch this.

Carrie: while still overrated by some critics, IMO, the one big scene is enough to make this one a favorite. Most of the rest is kinda meh, but that one scene... Holy crap!

Halloween (the first): like Carrie I don't think this one deserves all the praise it gets, but it's still very influential. The first half of the movie is perfect for setting the scene, and it doesn't rely on jump scares. In fact the killer is kind of in plain sight the whole time, which is a different kind of scary. I'm not a fan of the second half because the killer just comes across as kinda dopey and incompetent.

Poltergeist: still the gold standard for supernatural horror. It scared me shitless as a pre-teen and growing up hasn't dulled that very much.

The Machinist: not true horror, more of a psychological thriller. But like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, if you let your imagination run wild it will show you some of the scariest things imaginable. It blurs the line between reality and nightmares.
Man I absolutely love Texas Chainsaw Massacre, also one of my all time favorites! So goddamn scary and just gross looking! Carrie is also really good in my opinion, and yeah that ending is so mind blowing. I kinda agree with you on Halloween funnily enough, I like it but not as much as everyone else it seems.

zeroPony

Oh, just remembered.
Take a look at the Evil Dead. The original 1981 movie. First time I saw it on VHS tape when I was child. And it was very creepy :O

And just for fun take a look to its remake Evil Dead II (1987).

Last edited:

AceQuorthon

Oh, just remembered.
Take a look at the Evil Dead. The original 1981 movie. First time I saw it on VHS tape when I was child. And it was very creepy :O

And just for fun take a look to its remake Evil Dead II (1987).
I fucking looooove Evil Dead 1 and 2!!!! I like the sequel more but the first one is still so damn good! Two of my favorite movies for sure! Too bad I don’t really care about Army Of Darknes sadly. :(

aomagrat

I saw a movie called "Night Shadows" staring Bo Hopkins in a theater in the Philippines back in the 1980's. The theater was packed, every seat filled, people sitting shoulder to shoulder in the aisles, standing room only in the rear. If it caught fire the death toll would have been in the hundreds, if not over 1000. No way to leave your seat to go to the restroom. When the movie started all lights were turned off, couldn't see your hand in front of your face, only light was from the screen. Maybe it was the atmosphere, but I enjoyed the movie immensely. When it was released on video, the name was changed to "Mutant" for some reason.

kittyfuzz

I love love love horror movies but can't stand watching any that deal with extensive body horror (i.e. Saw, Hostel, remake of Suspiria). Zombie movies are a favorite, but I especially enjoy ones with original concepts and practical effects. I do enjoy comedy horror as well.

Thank you for all the interesting movie recommendations! I just watched Children of the Corn (1984) the other day. It was better than I thought it would be. I also just watched The Lighthouse last night. I'm still digesting that one and not sure what to make of it.

I feel like Amazon Prime has a huge collection of older horror movies. For those who enjoy practical effects, I want to recommend Body Melt, an Australian horror movie from 1993. Bizzare, bizzare, bizarre!

D

Deleted member 134556

'John Carpenters: The Thing'

Those guys were playing Among Us before it was trendy

Starbeak

Born in Space, endlessly exploring star-systems
I like the classics and timeless classics:

Twilight Zone
Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
Van Helsing

70s/80s/90s:

Halloween
Friday the 13th
Nightmare on Elmstreet
Childs Play
Scream
Scary Movie
I know what uwu you did last summer
The Cube
Beetlejuice
It
Gremlins
Alien
Nightmare before Christmas (Almost forgot this gem)

Present:
Insidious
Saw
The Decent
Final Destination (came out in 2000 so I guess this qualifies as recent lol)

And pretty much all sequels and prequels. The remakes and reworks are case-by-case basis

I now kinda shied away from Horror a bit and now am interested in Action/Sci-Fi genre but I occasionally watch a few horror movies.

On Amazon, I have a few "Furry" horror movies on my watchlist I added just for the fun of it, they are B-Movie material I am guessing but it could be interesting lol xD

Totally forgot the point of this thread for a second. I didn't add these in top 10 format. This will be super hard to rank but I am just putting them in any order I feel like xD

1) Nightmare before Christmas
2) Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
3) Van Helsing
4) Gremlins
5) Final Destination
6) Insidious
7) Alien
8) Saw
9) Childs Play
10) Nightmare on Elmstreet

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 134556

This one deserves to be mentioned for being one of the first Zombie films created.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

1606919759124.png

D

Deleted member 134556

This one deserves to be mentioned for being one of the first Zombie films created.

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

View attachment 95368
Also it should be noted Duane Jones was the first black actor in history to play as a hero in an American horror film.

Unfortunately he died do to heart problems at the age of 51, but his influence inspired the directors and writers of the modern show "The Walking Dead"
1606920162772.png