• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

House/Living Upgrades

TyraWadman

The Brutally Honest Man-Child
So my mom is definitely getting more into her hunt for a house to ship me off to. And as I was looking over the property and photos, I ran into a lot of new things I need to consider. Some small, others like I might need to buy a water heater. That sorta deal.

I live in Canada, and unfortunately I'm limited to a virtual tour. I won't be able to see the place in person before it's bought. But I was already pondering things like solar, electric, pros and cons. I feel like, long-term, Solar might not be as nice over here in this part of Canada, since it'd be exposed to all kinds of shitty weather. My experiences with the Atlantic region also involve lots and lots of rain/snow and gray skies. Plus any maintenance it would require would probably be way more expensive compared to like... a tankless water heater (which is what I'm looking at).

I would be renting to own, but this would be my first, official place that isn't an apartment where all maintenance and repairs AREN'T included in the price. So I thought I'd check in and ask for any advice/wisdom, or just hear what future plans/ideas you have with your own place! Maybe there are some common problems I'll run into? Maybe there are products you've tried that sound great but turned out to be junk? Do I have to buy insurance? ;n;

Are there any important questions I should ask about the place, or things I should look out for? What kinds of plans/upgrades would you like to have some day?

Borophagus Metropolis

The last prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
I'm getting ready to sell my first house right now. It is a seller's market here. I'm looking to get double what I paid six years ago.

For advice, I'd say to meet and have good communication with your home inspector. Make the seller fix as many problems as possible before buying.

Ask me anything.

The_biscuits_532

big anxious kitty
I just moved out of my university accommodation into the first place I actually had to check myself.

I wasn't particularly thorough but it's been good so far.

And by "I wasn't thorough" I mean I didn't realise there wasn't a bath until I moved in.

I'm renting a room from this couple and I just kinda assumed everyone with a house large enough has a bath. Apparently not but okay.

Ramjet

Seizing the memes of production
Definitely get insurance and a home inspection.

If you can, put some money aside for suprise repairs like water heater/roof ect...

Good luck, I'll be in the market next year for my first.

TyraWadman

I just moved out of my university accommodation into the first place I actually had to check myself.

I wasn't particularly thorough but it's been good so far.

And by "I wasn't thorough" I mean I didn't realise there wasn't a bath until I moved in.

I'm renting a room from this couple and I just kinda assumed everyone with a house large enough has a bath. Apparently not but okay.

So wait, do you at least have a walk-in shower?
For reals, I went to see an apartment once and they had one of those super tiny showers I'd only ever seen in cartoons!
Sorta like this, but 10x shittier since it was old AND much smaller:
1624584456041.png

I used to hate baths because of how time-consuming they can be, but damn, it makes all the difference to keeping your skin smooth by being able to actually soak.

Borophagus Metropolis

The last prehistoric floofy woof of FAF
What if they say no?
What exactly can I get away with, here? Do you have any examples?

You're buying the place, so you want it to last. The home inspection will reveal many problems. Every house has little
problems - even new ones. It's the big problems that you need to watch out for. Off the top of my head...
-serious structural or foundation issues
-age and condition of roof
-water leaks, mold, rot, etc
-radon gas
-well water and septic tank condition
-property rights and easements

Renting to own may mean you can easily get financing, no matter the condition of the property. Be careful with that. A traditional mortgage company will require it to pass their inspection. That is why I said to get to know your home inspector. Be friends. Bake them a cake. Use a real estate agent if you feel like you need to.
If the seller refuses to fix problems, then they should take the cost of repairs off of the price.

Kellan Meig'h

Kilted Luthier
In a "Rent To Own" situation, be sure of the situation. I've done the RTO once, got boned on the deal. The contract stated how much of my monthly rent went toward the purchase price and spelled out the set purchase price in advance. As I was technically renting at first, the deed holder was on the hook for repairs. where I didn't do my due diligence was to find out who owned the house. I didn't know the house was under joint ownership and the second owner, "Myrtle" was not on the contract. I also didn't know "Dave and Myrtle" were in the middle of a messy divorce until "Myrtle" showed up at my door, wanting her rent which was double what I was paying Dave. I took it to court, had to settle for getting my rent payments back from Dave which took over twenty years.

1) Make sure you research who owns the home and all names are on the contract.
1a) Make sure there's no legal filings against the seller that could jeopardize the arrangement. Divorce, tax, business, etc.
2) Make sure the sale price is set in stone, not negotiable and the amount per month and how many months to pay toward the down payment are stated clearly.
3) The contract should spell out clearly who is responsible for maintenance and who will fix what's found on inspection.
4) If there is anything major wrong and the seller won't fix it, move on.
5) In the beginning, don't do major repairs to a home you're only renting. Technically, it's not your home until your name is on the title.
6) It's worth the money to have an inspector make an independent inspection to compare notes on.
7) By all means, get insurance!

Enough rambling, hope this information helps you out.

TyraWadman

In a "Rent To Own" situation, be sure of the situation. I've done the RTO once, got boned on the deal. The contract stated how much of my monthly rent went toward the purchase price and spelled out the set purchase price in advance. As I was technically renting at first, the deed holder was on the hook for repairs. where I didn't do my due diligence was to find out who owned the house. I didn't know the house was under joint ownership and the second owner, "Myrtle" was not on the contract. I also didn't know "Dave and Myrtle" were in the middle of a messy divorce until "Myrtle" showed up at my door, wanting her rent which was double what I was paying Dave. I took it to court, had to settle for getting my rent payments back from Dave which took over twenty years.

1) Make sure you research who owns the home and all names are on the contract.
1a) Make sure there's no legal filings against the seller that could jeopardize the arrangement. Divorce, tax, business, etc.
2) Make sure the sale price is set in stone, not negotiable and the amount per month and how many months to pay toward the down payment are stated clearly.
3) The contract should spell out clearly who is responsible for maintenance and who will fix what's found on inspection.
4) If there is anything major wrong and the seller won't fix it, move on.
5) In the beginning, don't do major repairs to a home you're only renting. Technically, it's not your home until your name is on the title.
6) It's worth the money to have an inspector make an independent inspection to compare notes on.
7) By all means, get insurance!

Enough rambling, hope this information helps you out.

It certainly will be helpful!
Thank you for taking the time!

The_biscuits_532

big anxious kitty
So wait, do you at least have a walk-in shower?
For reals, I went to see an apartment once and they had one of those super tiny showers I'd only ever seen in cartoons!
Sorta like this, but 10x shittier since it was old AND much smaller:
View attachment 114486

I used to hate baths because of how time-consuming they can be, but damn, it makes all the difference to keeping your skin smooth by being able to actually soak.
Yeah, the shower's decent, at least

quoting_mungo

One thing that can be helpful that hasn't come up yet: do some cursory research on the immediate area - things like whether resources you'd like access to are in easy distance (having a grocery store in walking distance makes such a huge difference if you don't have a car, for example), as well as "have there been issues with flooding or similar in the neighborhood before?" A house that's had a flooded basement because of bad weather once, for instance, would have to have had major changes made since to assure it won't flood again if there's another big rainstorm/rapid thaw situation. Check out what problems were common for houses built around the same time, especially by the same building company (if you can find that information about the prospective home), and check extra for those.

Getting water quality tested is also a good idea, especially if the house has old plumbing or its own well.

I'd be pretty reluctant to sign any housing contracts while you can't check out a house in person, but I understand you don't necessarily have a lot of power to change or delay your mother's decision/timeline.

TyraWadman

2/2 places were no good so far.

1 had bad foundation. I thought the cameraman just sucked at taking pics.

2 is apparently dealing with some legal drama as of today. Some dude signed a contract with an agent but I guess decided to go behind their backs and make the sale with the owner. So... That's basically off the market.

Back to the waiting game since I'm on a certain price range.

I just wanna blow some of my savings on a large tub already. -w-