• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How can I become a known artist?

Rock E. Horror

Cruis'n USA
What kind of stuff furries like? I've tried everything, and the average number of views my pics get are not more than 10, and I've been an artist for at least a year, am I doing something wrong?

UNLUCKYFRIDAY

There's honestly so man artists in this community you really need to have core skills to get ahead of everyone. I think you need figure drawing practice, but you have a better skill than most artists have in honesty and that's stick-to-itiveness. If you've been on here for a year I think you can safely say you're putting in more time and effort than most and if you really crack down and get that figure drawing/from life drawing in it'll inform the rest of your work and you'll end up 5000x better. It's a continuous process and even as an art student I put myself in marathon realistic drawing classes because it improves your skills in everything - furry, figure drawing, realistic drawing, cartooning, etc. Don't worry about style, views, or anything until later. You can do it. ;)

UNLUCKYFRIDAY

For example here's my art three years ago. Below it is a sketch of the same characters from this year.

Rock E. Horror

Cruis'n USA
There's honestly so man artists in this community you really need to have core skills to get ahead of everyone. I think you need figure drawing practice, but you have a better skill than most artists have in honesty and that's stick-to-itiveness. If you've been on here for a year I think you can safely say you're putting in more time and effort than most and if you really crack down and get that figure drawing/from life drawing in it'll inform the rest of your work and you'll end up 5000x better. It's a continuous process and even as an art student I put myself in marathon realistic drawing classes because it improves your skills in everything - furry, figure drawing, realistic drawing, cartooning, etc. Don't worry about style, views, or anything until later. You can do it. ;)

You mean I should draw taking references from real life? that would be really hard since I live in the middle of nowhere, sorry.

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
@Rock E. Horror

draw lots of watersports and weird fetishes.

99% of your views will come from HOW YOU TAG YOUR IMAGES. Just spam tag them. tag them as anything it even remotely qualifies for...

for instance.. I drew a monster... I tagged it as " dog anthro furry canid canine dogs werewolf werewolves dragon dragons monsters monster macabre gore guro horror scary vicious zrcalo 2016 halloween blood bloody fetish fetishes"

one of my images went from 17 views to 72 views in 24 hrs because I entered in the "macabre" tags.

for instance... on this picture
www.furaffinity.net: Cartoony little lady by nameless_weasel

you have over 50 views.. because you tagged it as "mouse female girl" etc. you tagged the gender and species.

Rock E. Horror

Cruis'n USA
@Rock E. Horror

draw lots of watersports and weird fetishes.

99% of your views will come from HOW YOU TAG YOUR IMAGES. Just spam tag them. tag them as anything it even remotely qualifies for...

for instance.. I drew a monster... I tagged it as " dog anthro furry canid canine dogs werewolf werewolves dragon dragons monsters monster macabre gore guro horror scary vicious zrcalo 2016 halloween blood bloody fetish fetishes"

one of my images went from 17 views to 72 views in 24 hrs because I entered in the "macabre" tags.

I'll take your advice, I should stop tagging my pics just simply as " female dog"

Zrcalo

I STALK PRINCIPLES
I'll take your advice, I should stop tagging my pics just simply as " female dog"
you'll really start noticing a difference, I'll say. I mean heck.. that one piece of the girl mouse in a dress has 50 views.

MissKarotStix

Just a Sea Slug
I did that today and all I got were 13 views on that pic, I'm genuinely confused.
I find that unless you have a lot watchers the time of day and how many active users are on at that time can also be a factor on how many views you get on a submission regardless if it was a SFW or NSFW. For example, if I upload a drawing when FA is very active my drawing could be on the front page for a minute before being pushed off by newer submissions.

But that's just my personal observation.

UNLUCKYFRIDAY

I did that today and all I got were 13 views on that pic, I'm genuinely confused.

You mean I should draw taking references from real life? that would be really hard since I live in the middle of nowhere, sorry.

Firstly, nah. Yiff will get you nowhere if your normal drawings aren't getting that many views and you've been on here for a while. Just think, art takes time and skill takes longer. My teachers say you honestly have to put in 10,000 hours to see a genuine change in your work like I have. I've been plugging away for three years and I was 18 at the time of the first picture I showed above, you can honestly get better than me in a shorter amount of time if you really put your nose to the grindstone.

Secondly, nah. I mean going to classes with a nude model or drawing the poses of real life people/creatures. You can copy from photos, paintings, and other things for practice just literally don't claim them as your own, make a profit from it, or not list reference. Sometimes I draw ballerinas/gymnasts/animals from stock photos/photos online for pose practice but I don't share it past posting pencils or saying "reference drawings." There's also online deviantarts with reference poses for free like http://senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/

Sforzie

Professional Kuja fangirl
What I've found is that a lot of it is how good your... networking skills are. If your art isn't super good, then you have to put a lot of effort out there to sell yourself. (Or make friends with a few people who are already popular. People are funny like that.)

I feel a little bad to admit that I like UnluckyFriday's 3 year old pic a little better than their newer example. It has more personality to it, even if it isn't as realistic. But that's just my lame, quit being an art student to study geology instead opinion. :x

Also check out Posemaniacs. Good for finding poses you want to work on.

Rock E. Horror

Cruis'n USA
What I've found is that a lot of it is how good your... networking skills are. If your art isn't super good, then you have to put a lot of effort out there to sell yourself. (Or make friends with a few people who are already popular. People are funny like that.)

I feel a little bad to admit that I like UnluckyFriday's 3 year old pic a little better than their newer example. It has more personality to it, even if it isn't as realistic. But that's just my lame, quit being an art student to study geology instead opinion. :x

Also check out Posemaniacs. Good for finding poses you want to work on.

Uhh, I get the point but, what do you mean with networking?

Sforzie

Uhh, I get the point but, what do you mean with networking?

You can't just post a picture into a void and expect to get 5000 views on it. You have to spend time putting yourself out there. Look at other people's art. Comment on their art. Comment on their pages. Like their stuff. Get them curious as to who you are, so they'll go look at your page and your art. So on.

UNLUCKYFRIDAY

That's probably because that was first when I decided I wanted to do art as a living and I was cranking out the same guys every day. It honestly wasn't a special picture to me because I wanted to draw them like the bottom ones. I personally wanted a more realistic look for stylistic reasons because I wanted to do realistic comics like Blacksad or DMZ.... but my art has gotten so much more attention simply from changing to be honest and I'm in an illustration environment where they encourage style. I still think I have the same style, just toned down and more adult now. It's stuff I could put in a portfolio and not be embarassed of now so there's that. Also again... Core skills. CORE SKILLS. *record scratching noise* CORE SKILLS.

Sforzie

That's probably because that was first when I decided I wanted to do art as a living and I was cranking out the same guys every day. It honestly wasn't a special picture to me because I wanted to draw them like the bottom ones. I personally wanted a more realistic look for stylistic reasons because I wanted to do realistic comics like Blacksad or DMZ.... but my art has gotten so much more attention simply from changing to be honest and I'm in an illustration environment where they encourage style. I still think I have the same style, just toned down and more adult now. It's stuff I could put in a portfolio and not be embarassed of now so there's that. Also again... Core skills. CORE SKILLS. *record scratching noise* CORE SKILLS.

Well, yes. Then I look at what's actually popular (in consumable cartoon mass media) these days and it makes my brain hurt. You do have a good point, though. You should be comfortable with your own art first, before you start think about sending it out into the world. Not in a complacent way, but just general mild contentment. Note: I am a hypocrite and hate my own work even after nearly twenty years of development. oops :x

UNLUCKYFRIDAY

You should be comfortable with your own art first, before you start think about sending it out into the world. Not in a complacent way, but just general mild contentment. Note: I am a hypocrite and hate my own work even after nearly twenty years of development. oops :x
Same boat. Hate my own art mutually.

Biggest thing you have to know is animation studios and people who pick the cartoonists aren't artists so you have to appeal to them. Also the major companies like nick, cartoon network, newspapers, major magazines, etc. work with the same people for YEARS and circlejerk, so that's why when you see something awful stick around it STICKS.

Sforzie

Same boat. Hate my own art mutually.

Biggest thing you have to know is animation studios and people who pick the cartoonists aren't artists so you have to appeal to them. Also the major companies like nick, cartoon network, newspapers, major magazines, etc. work with the same people for YEARS and circlejerk, so that's why when you see something awful stick around it STICKS.

Haha, true. What's the old saying? What's popular isn't always right, and what's right isn't always what's popular? Something like that. Except with art. Yeah.
(And I'm a slow, self taught except for a few classes in college artist. I'm always slowly learning new things. Like necks! Necks are my current thing I'm figuring out. :| )

stablercake

a bubblegum pink nose
You can't just post a picture into a void and expect to get 5000 views on it. You have to spend time putting yourself out there. Look at other people's art. Comment on their art. Comment on their pages. Like their stuff. Get them curious as to who you are, so they'll go look at your page and your art. So on.
ALL THIS but don't discount IRL meetups in your state, for example I have an Indiana group called Whoozfur who has meetups a lot (which tbh I've been too scared to attend yet BUT the sentiment is the same) and also I've scheduled myself for 6 fur cons this year to really get myself and my work out there in DD's and AA's to network with furries IRL, I can't recommend it bc I haven't done it yet (first one is FWA) but it will really not only get you new friends but it'll get people looking at your work!

Zeitzbach

Taste purple
The 3 important factors for exposure are

-Quality
-Quantity
-Activity

Quality : Are your works good enough to satisfy the people watching you?
Quantity : Do you have enough watchers to spread your pieces around?
Activity : Do you draw often enough for people to notice your presence?

An artist exposure rate scale with how many watchers he has, and his quality + quality are what attract people to watch him. Don't try to just draw what you think people will like, draw what you like or else you will get bored of what you draw. Not to mention most people that are only there for your fan arts and so on will drop you after you stop drawing what THEY like.

But if you want to,

Muscle is the #1 go to option for this place (and many western stuffs in general.)
Followed by Latex/Inflation Fetish