• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How can I improve the color palette of my OC?

MissNook

There are a lot of options. Are you going for a natural color theme for her? Or is it okay to go for colors that are not possible on real dogs? I'll advice you as if you want natural colors for the moment ^^

Here are some ideas: create markings like spots or stripes, chose colors for parts of the body (like belly in white, dark paws with light pads...), add a bit of contrast (for exemple, her tail could have 2 colors instead of one), add colored accessories (blue collar?), add colored tattoos or fur (like a orange hair strand).
You can go for some specific spot places like dogs who have a dark spot around one of their eyes or only on their ears to give her a specifictythat stands out.
Since all of her tones are warm tones, you can also go for a cold tone for something specific like her eyes (green maybe?).

Hope that helps!

There are a lot of options. Are you going for a natural color theme for her? Or is it okay to go for colors that are not possible on real dogs? I'll advice you as if you want natural colors for the moment ^^

Here are some ideas: create markings like spots or stripes, chose colors for parts of the body (like belly in white, dark paws with light pads...), add a bit of contrast (for exemple, her tail could have 2 colors instead of one), add colored accessories (blue collar?), add colored tattoos or fur (like a orange hair strand).
You can go for some specific spot places like dogs who have a dark spot around one of their eyes or only on their ears to give her a specifictythat stands out.
Since all of her tones are warm tones, you can also go for a cold tone for something specific like her eyes (green maybe?).

Hope that helps!

True, forgot to say, Im aiming for natural.

A white belly would be super cute! Yet I need to fine tune some colors. Her fur color, currently, just looks like skin color lol

Also, I like the idea of cold colored accents like eyes.

MissNook

Sometimes when I'm stuck with an idea/palette I use sites like this one: https://mycolor.space/ to have generated color palette. It's not especially the idea to use one of the palette, but to have new ideas and possibilities.
I also like to play with color balance and see what happens ^^

I tried a few ideas with your character, like a really yellowish fur. But to be honest it still look a bit too much like skin in my opinion (you can see that try here: https://sta.sh/02bscllq193c)
I also tried a darker fur and I think this could be a good idea to actually go for a more foxy color for her fur but it might not be your idea for the character (brown looks also like skin XD)
Some dog actually have fur color near human skin tone so you can also stick to your first idea. I think that if people sees it as skin it's more because it's a nearly human face and the fur isn't a lot visible in the drawing itself. That's why spots and difference of colors in the body would really help make her look more like a dog :)

Sometimes when I'm stuck with an idea/palette I use sites like this one: https://mycolor.space/ to have generated color palette. It's not especially the idea to use one of the palette, but to have new ideas and possibilities.
I also like to play with color balance and see what happens ^^

I tried a few ideas with your character, like a really yellowish fur. But to be honest it still look a bit too much like skin in my opinion (you can see that try here: https://sta.sh/02bscllq193c)
I also tried a darker fur and I think this could be a good idea to actually go for a more foxy color for her fur but it might not be your idea for the character (brown looks also like skin XD)
Some dog actually have fur color near human skin tone so you can also stick to your first idea. I think that if people sees it as skin it's more because it's a nearly human face and the fur isn't a lot visible in the drawing itself. That's why spots and difference of colors in the body would really help make her look more like a dog :)

Hahaha, that palette reminds me to Isabelle from AC. I should play aroudn then.