• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How Did YOU become a fur?

Snowden

I came across JACK furry web-comic www.pholph.com and started to read it. I really enjoyed the art and haven't seen anything like it. I figured out they had a forum and I wanted to join it and I did. Then it followed through there, found out there was a furry fandom, joined FA. So pholph is kinda my homeweb for being a furry if you know what I mean. It all started December 2007.

Last edited:

Monak

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
I have been a furry since I was really little , but didn't find out there were others like me till a few years ago so I spent over a decade feeling completely alone. Now I have made friends who don't think I am weird or atleast not weirder then I already am.

MauEvig

Celestial Angel Kitty
I'd say the Sonic influence and obsession with a world of walking talking animals. Disney may have had some contribution but Sonic was the biggest one.
That, and the whole japanese anime cat-girls and wearing cat ears and such. On halloween my favorite thing to dress as was a cat.
And I've always been obsessed with cats, so, go figure. I also prefer drawing anthro animals than humans.
That and I kind of identify myself with cats.
And always kind of imagined myself on Mobius as a cat person. So yeah. XD;

Wolf_Fox_Guy

Cant think up a custom title
I'd say the Sonic influence and obsession with a world of walking talking animals. Disney may have had some contribution but Sonic was the biggest one.
That, and the whole japanese anime cat-girls and wearing cat ears and such. On halloween my favorite thing to dress as was a cat.
And I've always been obsessed with cats, so, go figure. I also prefer drawing anthro animals than humans.
That and I kind of identify myself with cats.
And always kind of imagined myself on Mobius as a cat person. So yeah. XD;

I think cat girls from anime are teh greatest furry influence today. If there was a public annoucment telling folks there were cat girls on this site, it would crash immediatly.

I love cat girls myself.

wolfmagik

Media Slave
Now that I think back, it all started with Disney movies (esp. Robin Hood and Lion King), then SWAT Kats, Biker Mice From Mars, etc. etc. I didn't realize I was really a furry until I was 13, when I found out my girlfriend was really into werewolves, and linked me to some nice art sites, with the warning of "don't dig too deep, some of its kinda nasty." LOL but curiosity got the best of me, and I dug. Yyyep, that's when I realized I was furry.

firefly8083

digital artist
hmm.. well.. I don't even know if I am really a furry or not... I don't dress up... but I have ALWAYS wanted a tail...lol. I loved all the cartoon animals when I was little, and thats how I started to learn to draw. However... the suits kinda scare me... no offense to anyone that wears them, that is fine... just not me. But I think in my heart and my love for anthro art, an my drawings... I can't deny that I am a furry... just not really open to the RP thing. I never really know about the whole fandom until about a year ago... and honestly... furries are some of the nicest, most understanding people I know! I haven't met too many furries I didn't like. =3

Wolf_Fox_Guy

Cant think up a custom title
hmm.. well.. I don't even know if I am really a furry or not... I don't dress up... but I have ALWAYS wanted a tail...lol. I loved all the cartoon animals when I was little, and thats how I started to learn to draw. However... the suits kinda scare me... no offense to anyone that wears them, that is fine... just not me. But I think in my heart and my love for anthro art, an my drawings... I can't deny that I am a furry... just not really open to the RP thing. I never really know about the whole fandom until about a year ago... and honestly... furries are some of the nicest, most understanding people I know! I haven't met too many furries I didn't like. =3
eh, its close enough, you can count yourself in. personally I dont fur suit or do much with teh RP aspect myself so youre in good company

firefly8083

digital artist
eh, its close enough, you can count yourself in. personally I dont fur suit or do much with teh RP aspect myself so youre in good company

Well... that is good to know... I always felt a little outa place....lol. But yeah... its hard cause my husband supports everything I do... but is worried about me "becomeing a furry" I dunno... he is prolly just giving me a hard time... he is good at that...lol

pheonix

back'n up back'n up
Well the movies and cartoons I watched probably played a big roll but I think I was just born this way just like gay people are born gay, the world may never know.

AlexInsane

I does what I says on the box.
I became a fur when someone sent me a goatse email. After that, it all went downhill from there.

Xaerun

"toxic and negative"
Well, I always used to play a dragon or find some way to be turned into one when we played in primary school, which is funny because my fursona is an otter. I loved the Lion King, and watched it over and over... and games like StarFox and Sonic. I discovered yiffy art a couple of years after I started secondary school, and liked it a lot more than 'regular' pr0n. Have been a 'true' furry ever since, but I've only started announcing it recently. Oh, and my mum found my sketchbook... luckily I only draw clean art...

Erro

Lost Wolf
The thread on this you saw is in The Den section of the forum, its up a ways from Off Topic :p. I think I answered there already, but
I became a fur when I dropped out of college, surfing around on Facebook trying to keep contact with old friends led me into the Furry Fandom group, a bit of googling and some help from wikipedia pushed me into Furcadia, and later Second Life, dropped me in the middle of #fchan and FA, and well.... umhai, here I am =^_^=

Lard Lord Badrang

My hovercraft is full of eels
That was the fault of many cartoons and games featuring anthros. I always felt something when I saw such characters, whereas real humans and cartoon humans didn't do the same for me.

Then I found the internet, and the power of Google.

My avatar, while probably looking pretty bland or plain to those not knowing him, is the root of it all~

WhiteHowl

Procrastination is cool~*
wolf's rain made me full blown furry.

mukichan

Chibi Chubbeh Draggie
The thread on this you saw is in The Den section of the forum, its up a ways from Off Topic :p. I think I answered there already, but
I became a fur when I dropped out of college, surfing around on Facebook trying to keep contact with old friends led me into the Furry Fandom group, a bit of googling and some help from wikipedia pushed me into Furcadia, and later Second Life, dropped me in the middle of #fchan and FA, and well.... umhai, here I am =^_^=

xD Thanks! I could have sworn I saw it somewhere~

and also... Am I the only person who doesn't play Furcadia or Second Life??

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
xD Thanks! I could have sworn I saw it somewhere~

and also... Am I the only person who doesn't play Furcadia or Second Life??

Heh, no, I don't play it either. First life keeps me busy enough! The closest I came to that was playing the MMORPG Horizons, which was amazing for fur races, but it was slowly ruined over time by constant nerfs and other problems. After that, I never much got back into on-line games.

Kanic

The Dog Faced Soldier
I could probably say it was because of the disney movies and movies like Land Before Time that I watched as a child. At that time I never knew what anthro was or meant for that matter. It wasn't until about 2004 that I found a picture, clean mind you not yiffy and I asked my friend what it was. And he said "Oh, that's furry art" and I was wondering what he meant by that so I looked into it and found out about the fandom. It wasn't until about April of this year that I finally decided to come into the fandom if you know what I mean.

Adrimor

Banned
Banned
Oh, and Final Fantasy IX

This. Freya = <3.

One too many knocks on the head.

And possibly this as well.

Also, Mog (FFVI), Red XIII (FFVII--::hides), and Jazz Jackrabbit.

Possibly Katt and Rei from Breath of Fire, also, but do they count? They don't have all the furry shapes.

Although, I wouldn't have called myself a proper furry had I not met two at the mall one day. (I didn't know they were so at the time, though.) So, I got their emails to continue our conversations on gaming and anime, found out the one who replied was (as was his boyfriend), and had the idea bouncing around in my subconscious. Apparently, it wasn't rejected, because I decided to contemplate what my fursona would be...and here I am.

So, I should probably thank the gods for random meetings and my creepy inability to read social cues (I'm pretty sure they were trying to get away from me, since they both thought I was hitting on the one who didn't reply...heh...). Else, I'd still just be calling myself an enthusiast, and never have met anyone cool online.

But those bastards kicked me out, so I'll do it later :p

LonelyFox

Care to join me for a bit?
ok ive always been obsessed with the anthro movies since i was a little kid, and all i would watch was fox and the hound and the furry version of robin hood. then when i got to like 10 i got into... stuff with animals, and after like 2 or 3 months of that i found furry sites which was much better, and legal ^^", so i was a furry for about 4 years until about 2 months ago when i actually decided to look up other furries like me to hang out with and chat, so i started by joining the furry Xfire clans "GamerFurs" and "FurLeague" i dont like gamerfurs cause noone is active and talks to each other, at least that i know of, but FurLeague i help recruit and all of us are very in contact with each other and i live very close to the maker, which was very weird =3. after that they told me about FA, i alfready know of it but had never gone to it, i went to it and it was down (LOL) so i made an account on this forums, i still have not made a site account, i am happy here and will be making an account as soon as the new servers are up.

and THATS my story

Magikian

Cecret Blown Susiness.
Well, I have always wanted animalistic traits, like yellow eyes, claws, etc. for as long as I can remember

And I have wicked fang-like teeth that generally scare the shit outta people and long-ass nails. xD But I'm able to write the nails off as "guitar nails" thanks to a mate that plays guitar.

I have also been into yiff for the better part of a year...

The way I found out about the forums is that I accidentally stumbled upon my friend's FA user page, and then kinda told him about my furriness and yeah... My life story or ya. xD

Suntiger

Hmm, well, I had the Narnia books and Wind in the Willows read to me as a kid, and I watched Disney movies, and had a lot of old fables read to me. Read several of the books with anthro characters when I got older.

Thing is, I've never really seen those as talking animals. They talked and behaved like people, so that's obviously what they were, they just happened to look like animals.
The narnia books and some others also have anthros and humans interacting as if anthros were a completely natural thing.

I've also always liked animals. Had a variety of them when I grew up and though I didn't see them as people I did see them as individuals with personalities.

Started to read a lot of fantasy in my teens. Tolkien got me hooked on elves. ;)
I don't remember when I first saw adult art with anthros, though I think the first time I read it was in Lackey's Winds of Fate book, where Nyara takes Skif off to have some fun. The sex isn't described, but the intentions clearly stated.

Shortly after that I discovered anime and all the variety of different anthro people that has. I think Porco Rosso was the first anime I saw with an anthro character, which was actually years before I discovered anime as anime.
Although I like the anime catgirls, I see them more as humans and prefer the fuzzy all over to call someone a proper catgirl. Or wolfgirl, foxgirl, dragongirl etc.
(Btw, Dragon Half is hilarious XD)

My involvement in the fandom is mostly on an art/story level, both regular and sexual.
Although I use a suntiger as my avatar it's not my fursona.
'suntiger' just comes from when I changed my mail ages ago and made up a name on the spot that I thought sounded cool.
I also used that first part of the mail address as a forum name, which made people ask 'Cool name, what's a suntiger?' which had me explain that it was just the first part of my mail. ;)
Then one day I was making up a worldsetting to write stories in. As I was making up races for it I got the idea to make a suntiger species.
I do have a character that would be the equivalent of a fursona, but he looks human.

I find the spiritual part of it fascinating as well; totems, shamanism, therianthropes and such, though it's not something that resonates with me.
Heh, though I'm surprised over the misconceptions some people have over certain animal-like traits. "I'm like a strong, lone wolf. I don't need anyone else to take care of me/I'm more comfortable on my own."
Do your homework. The lone wolves are the rejects that gets driven away from the pack for being weak, the pack can't support all the members, or for being insane.
Personally, I blame Rambo for that one, his code name being 'Lone Wolf'.
Although you could argue that he's insane I suppose. :p

Bottom line; I like people whether they're hairless apes* or anthros, and I like regular animals too, even if I don't see them in the same way as people. (The difference is mainly one of sexual attraction or not.)
Speaking of which, there's an absolutely hilarious sequence in Fantasia 2000 where Donald Duck builds an ark (to Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance).
When the animals start to board, two regular ducks pass him. His expression... Dear gods! XD

*Since humans technically are animals too, doesn't that make you, technically, a furry if you like humans? ;)