• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How did you come up with your furry name?

BlitheDragon

My username is BlitheDragon and Blithe means Happy. My sona's name is Jovi short for jovial, another word for happy. :3

Student

Anthrosexual
My character's full name is Fisher Wilcoxon, and his nickname is "Student."

All of these names are homages to famous statisticians who came up with inferential techniques: Ronald Fisher pioneered the technique of Analysis of Variance (ANOVA); Frank Wilcoxon came up with the Wilcoxon signed-rank test; and William Gosset (who published under the pen name Student) developed the famous t-test.

Why statisticians? I'm a graduate student in clinical psychology, and using statistics is a big part of my every day life. Psychology is the scientific study of human behavior, and statistics is the language of quantitative scientific research. This endeavor is part of who I am, so naturally it is also part of my furry persona...

... That and I'm an insufferable nerd.

Swoocerini

If you've ever watched The Misadventures of Skooks by OrpheousFTW, you'll understand. If not, there's a part where Shaggy says "Watch me swooce right in", which I stole and added 'rini' to create 'Swoocerini'.

I came up with my nane, ShadowFox, because I like both dark stuff and foxes. I also got this from a Name Generator to give my brain a little speed (hey, we all have Monday brain, don't we?) I also got it because of my hair color. I have black hair, black is the color of shadows, yadayadayada. :)

Auramaru

Archmage of the Wandering Isle
I was trying to create an account for some game and all of my go-to-names were taken, I watched an anime at some point in time and decided I would try the name of one of the characters... problem was, I couldn't remember the name. So I went with "Auramau" (sounded about right).

(I found out much later on that the name I was trying to use was "Madarao")

My friends had NO FREAKING IDEA how to pronounce this new name, so I changed it to "Auramaru" (resolves the last syllable "mau" to two syllables "maru").

I usually go by "Aura", but some people pronounce the whole name, and then I tell them "fuck off, the name's Nick" :D

Hikaru Okami

Radiant Wolf
After having Hikaru for 7 years I totally forgot how he got his name! I do remember how I used to spell it Hikyro. It was a unique spelling and I loved it, but then I found the Japanese name Hikaru which meant radiant and I loved it even more. His last name was going to be Orca, but then I discovered the Japanese term Okami and decided to go with that. Thus, resulting in Radiant Wolf (Hikaru Okami).

Gryxll

This started out as a joke really.. I was creating a new username for Mumble and was trying to decide what name I could come up with that fit the role I was looking for the best. I was in awe that the name actually fit. "GryxllVanquisherofPoonani". Yes the village by the name of Poonani just outside the ravenous unforgiving lands of Krog could not stand before he who would become the vanquisher.
Good god was I inebriated that night!!

Awzee

/) 0 v0/)' !
Oz is short for Ozzy, which is short for Ostrich
Back in my college days I had an unhealthy obsession with Ostriches.
When joining Xboxlive my gamertag became KingOstrich, and my friends eventually shortened it to Ozzy.
Soon after I got tired of people asking if I were Ozzy Osbourne, so I shortened it again to Oz. :3
(PS. My Fursona is not an Ostrich, but he is a burd.)
((Awzee is a play on the name Ozzy, which I use in places where Ozzy is already taken, so..everywhere))

mrShorttaildragon

I came up with the last name, Shorttail, first, and made it partially because I knew I was going to get a tail at some point or another and didn't want to have a long tail that would drag around, so logically I would be a "shorttail". I then decided on the first name, Azumith (Azu), when I was figuring out my fursona's backstory. I decided he was once a sailing ship navigator and an azimuth is some thing used in navigation. I played the spelling, in part so I could get a nice sounding shorthand name, and got Azumith. Therefore: Azumith "Azu" Shorttail, the dragon. Oh and I also took Drake as an irl alias because dragon... logically...

RagehoundRaver

UntzWolf
My name on here is actually just my Twitter handle and proxy glover name...but it always seemed to fit...
My two characters 'Hellie' and 'Cupcake' were the names of two kandi masks I wear to festivals that grew on me and eventually inspired fursonas.

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
my sonas name is actually based on a moment based in a game. Shadow is the name of the main character i made, and the first point you have to escape being hunged by sneaking out of a castle. Thus shadow's in hiding. This coming from a game im making and i will share it with gou guys when its ready

Sylver

I honestly can't remember, I think it just clicked when I went to make an account on furry websites.

I've requested a name change though, I'm hoping to have my name changed to Sylver (pronounced as silver), I just made it up and it felt right so I'm hoping to have it changed :3

kharonalpua

Back in the early days of developing my fantasy world, I made up the first word for my wolfman species' central language: "kharon" means "hunter" and I added the title "alpha" because I saw myself as a pack leader. Later on, the language developed and a two part, descriptive name became standard, and the term "alpua", meaning "swift", replaced the "alpha" descriptor. I still hold onto a few "kharonalpha" accounts around the web, because I was too attached to the account to change the name...

Shadow Jaeger

set phasers to thrust
Back in the early days of developing my fantasy world, I made up the first word for my wolfman species' central language: "kharon" means "hunter" and I added the title "alpha" because I saw myself as a pack leader. Later on, the language developed and a two part, descriptive name became standard, and the term "alpua", meaning "swift", replaced the "alpha" descriptor. I still hold onto a few "kharonalpha" accounts around the web, because I was too attached to the account to change the name...

You say you were making some fantasy...im kinda curious as to what e.g. book, game?

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned
My crow thingy's full name is Taras Kyryk. Kyryk was my family's surname about 100 years ago back when they were ukrainian peasants and Taras is a random ukrainian name that seemed to fit with Kyryk.

Of course now that i've become obsessed with Primus i'm seriously considering changing his name to Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie and altering his personality to fit the lyrics of this song:

[YT]bCf40wrpdlc[/YT]

:mrgreen:

If you're talking about my username it's the title of an old english folk tale about someone walking home at night and finding a group of talking black cats burying their king that tell him to notify the prince of the cats that his father is dead. Plus it sounds ridiculous out of context, how could i resist. :mrgreen:

Kitsune Cross

**** that **** now! Bitch
My crow thingy's full name is Taras Kyryk. Kyryk was my family's surname about 100 years ago back when they were ukrainian peasants and Taras is a random ukrainian name that seemed to fit with Kyryk.

Of course now that i've become obsessed with Primus i'm seriously considering changing his name to Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie and altering his personality to fit the lyrics of this song:

[YT]bCf40wrpdlc[/YT]

:mrgreen:

If you're talking about my username it's the title of an old english folk tale about someone walking home at night and finding a group of talking black cats burying their king that tell him to notify the prince of the cats that his father is dead. Plus it sounds ridiculous out of context, how could i resist. :mrgreen:

Best idea ever, fuck yes primus

KyryK

Well...you tried
Banned
Best idea ever, fuck yes primus
Ok, you've swayed me.

My sona's name is Mud. But call him Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie (that's long for Mud). :mrgreen:

kharonalpua

You say you were making some fantasy...im kinda curious as to what e.g. book, game?

It's still a work in progress. Probably the worlds will be shown in stories and possibly some animations, or at least still renders, as I further develop my skills. In this case, it was a "traditional fantasy" world that has become more of an industrial magipunk world. At present it's mostly reserved for private RP, either entirely in my head, or with me as the GM.