• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How did you come up with your fursona’s name?

Sigvard Alfrothul

My fursona started as a character in a story after having a vivid nightmare, as the story developed the protagonist was created! “Sigvard” is a old Norse name meaning victorious defender. To simplify the story without getting too much into it, He was destined to save the light of the land. Thus his last name “Alfrothul” literally translates into “of the sun” put it together and translate it and he’s Literally the “victorious defender of the sun.” I’m kinda proud of that one....

Punji

Vaskebjørn
I got the name from punji pits, a gruesome makeshift trap comprised of a pit in the ground with spikes on the bottom. An awful thing, but I did always like the name.

Aesthetically pleasing, surprisingly unique, and the perfect combination of cute and masculine, in my opinion.

Kuroserama

Just a fox.
My name was a real journey. Names are always important to me in games or whatever presence I choose to present to people (who really and truly could care less). But it matters to me. I spent 4-6 months trying to figure out my name while I worked on art for my picture so I could join this site and hit the ground running. Rather silly, I'll admit. But anyways!

I had a narrowed down list of about 400 names I was seriously considering, many of which were an anagram of my own name. My real name is 9 characters so it gives a lot to play with. Instead, I settled on a Japanese-esque name that is an amalgamation of my middle name and another's.

Tennet_G

Cup O' Depresso
I thought my own irl name was a little too foreign and no one could pronounce it right. I cut it in half and put a mirror to it. Boom. Ten-net. G is for Gears which feels more like an appendix at this point since I did use to be a ponysona. I have been leaning more on Gehner. Which has no meaning. I just slammed my keyboard and I like the way it sounds.

AceQuorthon

International Man Of Mystery
I’m a huge Bathory fan and the frontman went by the name Ace early on in his career before switching over to Quorthon, so I just mashed those two together to create my username! :3
But my sona goes by Ace only, simple and cool!

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Grief: Not really my fursona, but still rather popular as a mascot. His name depicts his inner turmoil of losing his mother to Scourge the hedgehog, Scourge caused Grief. Basically.

Amanda: This is the name of my cousin.

Ophelia: I looked for a Greek name, because she is from Apotos which is a Greek like village in Sonic Unleashed.

Cyrus: A personal name I want to name my own son, after Cyrus the Great.

Sherly: A generic English name, so people don't realize how evil she is. Meant to be "cute" which is paradoxical to her actual character.

Herman: Means "warrior" in old German. He's a soldier.

Grau: Means "grey" in German, because she's a morally grey character and her fur is grey.

The_biscuits_532

Sneaky rainforest kitty
Stephanie - After I finished her I asked a friend for ideas and she jokingly said "minecraft steve lmao" but oop the feminine form actually worked

Iza - Species is Brazilian, so I went on fantasynamegenerators.com and looked for feminine Brazilian names. Short form of Izabella worked.

Constantine - My mum wanted to research Scottish Kings and I made this guy around that time. I wanted something regal and authoritative, to contrast his more feral and barbaric nature. His name comes from Constantine I,II and III

Zalifa - Mostly the same as Iza, but with Madagascan. I also ran polls on amino to choose from five, from both genders as Zalifa is nonbinary. They could've also been named Emilie, Claude, Simone or Tsiraka.

Ozzie - Well, his species was the Lion of Australia. He's also from a wealthy family and his full name is Oswald - but he hates them so dimutive form it is.

Victoria - dunno lol it just kinda popped into my mind

Sigvard Alfrothul

Stephanie - After I finished her I asked a friend for ideas and she jokingly said "minecraft steve lmao" but oop the feminine form actually worked

Iza - Species is Brazilian, so I went on fantasynamegenerators.com and looked for feminine Brazilian names. Short form of Izabella worked.

Constantine - My mum wanted to research Scottish Kings and I made this guy around that time. I wanted something regal and authoritative, to contrast his more feral and barbaric nature. His name comes from Constantine I,II and III

Zalifa - Mostly the same as Iza, but with Madagascan. I also ran polls on amino to choose from five, from both genders as Zalifa is nonbinary. They could've also been named Emilie, Claude, Simone or Tsiraka.

Ozzie - Well, his species was the Lion of Australia. He's also from a wealthy family and his full name is Oswald - but he hates them so dimutive form it is.

Victoria - dunno lol it just kinda popped into my mind
Wow you got lots of them!

The_biscuits_532

Sneaky rainforest kitty
Wow you got lots of them!
Yep! I think I've found my strength is character design. I'm not the best at art, but my designs have been recieved well enough that three of them have recieved fanart (Stephanie, Iza, Ozzie)!

Sigvard Alfrothul

Yep! I think I've found my strength is character design. I'm not the best at art, but my designs have been recieved well enough that three of them have recieved fanart (Stephanie, Iza, Ozzie)!

That’s pretty cool! I’m too unknown and my fursona a bit to ordinary for anyone to want to draw fan art I think, maybe when I gain traction in the community * shrugs *

The_biscuits_532

Sneaky rainforest kitty
That’s pretty cool! I’m too unknown and my fursona a bit to ordinary for anyone to want to draw fan art I think, maybe when I gain traction in the community * shrugs *
Well, there's no limit to how many characters you can make!

Personally I've found my best source of inspiration is looking through Wikipedia for weird animals.

Of my six, the most "common" would probably be my first two.

- Stephanie is a Eurasian Lynx. They're my favourite animal. Because they're just cats but more! (40 results on Toyhouse)

- Iza is an Oncilla (AKA a Northern Tiger Cat, Tigrillo, or Little Spotted Cat). They're the smallest cats found in the Americas, and look mostly like Ocelots but with bigger eyes. She's a melanistic variant, which are more common deeper into the Amazon. She was envisioned as more extroverted compared to Stephanie, so a tropical cat fit (11 results on TH)

- Constantine is a Brown Hyena (AKA a Strandwolf). They're the rarest Hyenas, and are covered in long, shaggy hair. He was modelled somewhat off of AZ, from Pokemon X/Y, the nomadic ancient king. (50 on TH)

- Zalifa is a Red Ruffed Lemur. They're very colourful, and loud - perfect for a musician and actor (5 on TH)

- Ozzie is a Thylacoleo (AKA a Marsupial Lion, or Pouch Lion), an extinct species of catlike wombat relative with some ridiculous adaptations to make them effectively living weapons. I worked back from this and made a character resentful of his raw power. His design is somewhat inspired by an old friend of (who is almost certainly in the fandom, he's posted some sus stuff on Facebook) (27 on TH)

- Victoria is a Bearded Vulture (AKA a Lammergeier, or Ossifrage), the only species of Vulture that isn't bald. I wanted a mob boss character to work into Iza's background and a bird that exclusively feeds on bones felt right. (188 on TH)

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
My fursona's name goes back to a time when I was obsessed with Metroid, and particularly with the antagonist Ridley. I came up with a truly terrible Gary Stu OC also named Ridley. My interest in Metroid faded somewhat, but I still liked the sound of the name, and I incorporated it into a few online usernames. While I toyed with a few other names for my fursona, I was ultimately drawn back to Ridley.

Sigvard Alfrothul

Well, there's no limit to how many characters you can make!

Personally I've found my best source of inspiration is looking through Wikipedia for weird animals.

Of my six, the most "common" would probably be my first two.

- Stephanie is a Eurasian Lynx. They're my favourite animal. Because they're just cats but more! (40 results on Toyhouse)

- Iza is an Oncilla (AKA a Northern Tiger Cat, Tigrillo, or Little Spotted Cat). They're the smallest cats found in the Americas, and look mostly like Ocelots but with bigger eyes. She's a melanistic variant, which are more common deeper into the Amazon. She was envisioned as more extroverted compared to Stephanie, so a tropical cat fit (11 results on TH)

- Constantine is a Brown Hyena (AKA a Strandwolf). They're the rarest Hyenas, and are covered in long, shaggy hair. He was modelled somewhat off of AZ, from Pokemon X/Y, the nomadic ancient king.

- Zalifa is a Red Ruffed Lemur. They're very colourful, and loud - perfect for a musician and actor

- Ozzie is a Thylacoleo (AKA a Marsupial Lion, or Pouch Lion), an extinct species of catlike wombat relative with some ridiculous adaptations to make them effectively living weapons. I worked back from this and made a character resentful of his raw power. His design is somewhat inspired by an old friend of (who is almost certainly in the fandom, he's posted some sus stuff on Facebook)

- Victoria is a Bearded Vulture (AKA a Lammergeier, or Ossifrage), the only species of Vulture that isn't bald. I wanted a mob boss character to work into Iza's background and a bird that exclusively feeds on bones felt right.
So detailed, love it❤️

The_biscuits_532

Sneaky rainforest kitty
So detailed, love it❤️
I've actually been doing a series on Amino about unusual species that could make interesting OCs! This is what I've done so far:
1623367466649.png

Sigvard Alfrothul

I've actually been doing a series on Amino about unusual species that could make interesting OCs! This is what I've done so far:
View attachment 112918
I have a list of nordic animals from Eurasia including extinct ones and their old norse names so I can pull reference to help with my story and they could potentially become a character if not just a stand in or background character. My list is just for the sake of continuity but who knows... yours looks much more refined

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
My fursona from pretty early on was always intended as a pretty effeminate guy. It's just how I always seen myself. I had felt that his name should also retain a femininity to it but also retain some boyishness to it. I've always seen Kimber as a name that reflected such, I'd apologize if that's not what others see in the name of course.

The name has caused people to see me as British in one or two cases oddly. Lol

Paws the Gryphon

*Technically* an Opinicus
In my various attempts to develop a lore backstory Paws started as a possessed convention display who had an aura that allowed her to be perceived as 'totally normal' by everyone around her over preteen age. She thusly became a mascot for an amusement park under the name Pawzouti. While she has that standard 'person in a fancy mascot suit' (more accurately/more often or people in a huge surprisingly realistic animatronic) look to anyone that's "too old", she looks like she does in pictures to children.
Since then Paws Pawzouti stuck as a shortened name and surname. :D

Last edited:

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
I got the name from punji pits, a gruesome makeshift trap comprised of a pit in the ground with spikes on the bottom. An awful thing, but I did always like the name.

Aesthetically pleasing, surprisingly unique, and the perfect combination of cute and masculine, in my opinion.
Let me pull a Starbucks hipster move for some pretentious over-analyzing. Your name origin is a metaphor for your dark past, transforming that darkness into love and peace and some other cliche positive things like that. pushes up glasses like I'm in an anime

Last edited: