• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How did you come up with your fursona?

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
Hi, your friendly neighborhood greymuzzle here...

I'm writing Furry Nation, the first book tracing our fandom's birth and growth and connecting it to the human instinct that's been around forever to anthropomorphize animals. (website: furrynation.com ) It will published next fall by Cleis Press.

I'm writing this for the general public, not just furs. The book will also cover mainstream, non-furry anthropomorphism in movies like Guardians of the Galaxy, TV shows like Bojack Horseman, Broadway musicals like Cats, novels featuring anthro characters, anthro art in museums and art galleries... (I've been talking to a lot of the people who create mainstream anthro-themed works; some are cool about furry, others don't want to be associated with us in any way whatsoever.)

There's tons of non-furry anthro stuff out there, and the point I want to make is that furry is part of something much bigger and much older than most people realize.

Anyway, I'd like to add the voices of as many furs as possible to the book; I'm going to be starting a few threads on the subject, beginning with this one. If anyone wants to contact me personally, just PM me via my JoeStrike or Comus FA pages.

Okay, to get back where I started from...

How did you come up with your fursona, its species and its name? Was it spontaneous out of your own brain or inspired by something you came across elsewhere? (Pop culture, mythology, etc.)

If your story is interesting enough to go into the book I'll contact you to make sure it's okay and maybe ask a follow-up question or two.

Thanx much, everyone!

RileyTheOtter

The Autistic Otter
My sona came about as a result of my personality, and something I've always felt a strong connection since I was a kid. It is a wolf and tiger hybrid. The wolf comes from the strong connection to canines in general that I've always had for as long as I can remember. Unlike most, I happen to be therian. Specifically the kind of therian that believes I was a wolf in a past life, i'm still trying to nail down the exact species but I do know it's a species of wolf. I could go into further detail if you want, but I won't here because it won't make much sense to most and others will judge me as crazy for it. (If they don't already for being as open about being a therian as I am) The tiger is half is because not only have I felt a strong connection to them to, but also because it's a direct contradiction to the wolf half, and I consider myself a walking contradiction. (like my sona) I can give you the full answer in a PM if you want it.

Last edited:
B

BlueWorrior

My fursona's name (Danni Taw) takes my middle name, Daniel and the welsh word for quiet, Tawel, so the name is a combination of who I am and where I'm from.
Danni's a husky, because I just really love huskies. simple as that, really. I was gonna go for a wolf but I changed it because Danni doesn't really inherit many wolf-like characteristics.
He's pretty much a distillation of who I am,taking my good and bad traits and exaggerating them: Danni is kind, understanding, sensitive and creative, but also lazy, clumsy and very emotional.
I haven't put that much time in developing his character because i'm still fairly new to the fandom, but I feel, at least for now, he represents me fairly well.

Rant

Haters Gonna Hate
Well my Pheodra here (Phoenix/Dragon) Al'Di'Natch (Egyptian for Thunderstorms) was an evolution over the last 15 years.

It was a hot mess when I started. See me and a few other 12 year olds loved Spyro the dragon and Dragons in general. I wanted to be a red dragon but another kid pitched a fit because there can't be two red dragons, he was more "special" and deserved it. So Natchy was a red backed, blue fronted dragon and looks pretty noobish. Later I kept going back to it and changing the design until I was more satisfied with it. It became feathered, more organically designed. Because I have a deep love of birds I chose the Swollowtailed Kite Eagle as the bird base, mixed in velociraptor for a more 'realistic' dragon form, the Phoenix has fire related abilities that I figured would pair well a fire dragon. Personality wise she is very much like me, or the me I want to be. I use her a mask to say and do the things I can't do irl. Shes not a superpowered fursona like many dragons you see, she's full of faults and weakness. She's more human than I am at times.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
When I really started developing my fursona back in 2007, the one goal I had in mind was to establish it as a symbolic reflection of the individual I am in real life. Granted, I was a teenager still in high school at the time, but even when I look back in hindsight as an adult I feel as if the fursona I developed still holds its accuracy today.

Initially, I went with a kentrosaurus cyborg whose bionic arm and eye were the result of some injury that I've never quite fully explained to this day. The more I thought about it though, the more I found that the defensive nature of that prehistoric herbivore didn't really suit me all that well. Around that time, I wound up discovering Dungeons & Dragons with a few friends, and through that I became fascinated with at least some of the aspects regarding bronze dragons as described in the v3.5 Monster Manual. Inquisitive, fascinated by warfare, a desire for order... it left a pretty strong impression on an intelligent, structured army brat like myself, to say the least.

The bionics, and the injuries that they made up for, were initially an expression of how far I was willing to push myself in order to accomplish whatever I wanted to do, and how far I was willing to go in order to overcome obstacles that could hinder that progress. I still hold by this mentality today - hence why the bionics are still present on my fursona - but the symbolism now extends into my advocacy for the ethical forms of transhumanism as well; I see a lot of good that can come out of the technologies involved with the ideology, but I'm aware of the risks posed by their abuse as well and therefore want to do what I can to mitigate those risks.

In essence, my fursona is a pro-human transhuman by default, as am I by extension.

Last edited:

The Technovorous Cats.

I like circuit boards.
I currently have two fursonas. Dana and Tylar are Technovorous. As you might already have figured out, they eat technology. My first thought of this was from my stories I wrote a while back. Biometallic life forms aren't that popular of a subject to think about. Many think of Artificial Intelligence and androids when metal is brought up. To know that one falls under this category, a few aspects must be taken into consideration. 1. A main component in the construct must be a metal. 2. Must be seen as sentient. 3. Must be accepted as alive in association with the human anatomy or anatomy of other species. From these specifications, Dana and Tylar were born. Consumption of metals could be stored within the body, or outside of the body in metallic deposites in the shape desired. Self repair from stored components seemed likely in the form of cell reproduction in biological constructs.Other components would be filtered as seen fit. From what I've wrote so far, I think I've gone overboard. The explanation stands for itself. I hope this was helpful in any way answering your question.

D

Deleted member 82554

My real fursona, not the one you see here is a reflection of me, for the most part. Although, the one I use here is open to speculation and justifiable.

Guilleum2

Works too hard
I have no idea where it came from. I was just doodling one day and I said YES THAT'S IT.

nerdbat

Green butt of reason
I like green color, and my friends say I'm kind of an ass sometimes, so the almighty Greenbutt was born.
Really hope it'll get into a book, btw

KitSly

Single and lonely
I have always liked reptiles and two of my favorites are Iguanas and Komodo Dragons. So when I redid my fursona, I knew he would be a hybrid of the two, and when I found out about Blue Iguanas, that was it.

EdgyMemeLord0

Master of succ
Well, I am not that kind of good when it comes to something where you have to be creative and imagine a few things... So I sat down, thought about what my favourite animal might be so I came up with a dog, and well, my favourite breed is the Shiba inu... then I basically thought about my two favourite colors and well, grey and blue came into my mind... Also, he kind a doesn't have a name (yet) so I think I should be more creative....
Well, that's the story of my fursona....

Yakamaru

Autumn Wolf
I like wolves. I also like anthros.

Anthro + Wolf = My Fursona born. Simple.

Inzoreno

The Gentleman Owl
I don't remember exactly when I first decided to create a fursona, but I can tell you he started out as a red fox kitsune that basically was just an exact reflection of myself. I really did not actually use him for a whole lot and only ever got one piece of art of him: www.deviantart.com: Shinobi-no-kitsune Commission

So for years he mostly sat idle until around 2014 when I decided to completely revamp my fursona. See, in 2012 I began to do volunteer work at the Carolina Raptor Center and as such I began to develop a great affection towards owls. So, I eventually decided to change my fursona to reflect my new love. I chose the Great Horned Owl as a species because 1) They are fairly rare for fursona species, 2) They had become one of my favorite, if not THE favorite species and 3) In 2014 I was given the opportunity to work directly with one at the center. I chose to stick with a more realistic color scheme for him as, in general, I much prefer a more realistic coloration for characters so they feel like they could better fit reality. I ended up commissioning the artist Tuke to do the first piece and it has since served as the basis for the rest of the artwork.

Star Dancer

Being new to furry fandom I spent a few months just reading books and folklore coming up with something that I wanted to be viewed as. I read a lot of fantasy novels and also play a lot of videogames like Elder Scrolls etc. so it had to be something Fantastic. I came up with my character by taking aspects of my culture and combining it with my interests and hobbies. My fursona's name (Namida) means Star Dancer in my native tongue. I personally love dancing and music and studying space and ancient history so that was all included in choosing her name. Her species (Dragon-Lynx) is based off of a mythological creature called the Mishiwbhizu in Ojibwe folklore. I'm sure when I create a second it won't be nearly as in-depth but I wanted my furst to be very special.

MaximusLupis

Hipster Snob
Was trying to make a webcomic back in my freshman year of high school with a bunch of OCs I came up with.

Main character was something I drew on a whiteboard one morning when thinking of a Yorkshire Terrier with hipster glasses (remember that meme)

anyways, I decided that the yellow fur looked horrible, switched to monochrome and the way I had started drawing him after a while he looked more like a Scottish terrier then anything else.

I later decided to use it as a character I would use for online interaction as opposed to my previous Sonic with hipster glasses sprite

It caught on, and considering I was gonna use the character to project my opinions in this world I was building at the time it was perfect to represent myself in online stuff.

I only started calling it a sona after I actually accepted the fact that I was, in fact, a furry.

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
My sona came about as a result of my personality, and something I've always felt a strong connection since I was a kid. It is a wolf and tiger hybrid. The wolf comes from the strong connection to canines in general that I've always had for as long as I can remember. Unlike most, I happen to be therian. Specifically the kind of therian that believes I was a wolf in a past life, i'm still trying to nail down the exact species but I do know it's a species of wolf. I could go into further detail if you want, but I won't here because it won't make much sense to most and others will judge me as crazy for it. (If they don't already for being as open about being a therian as I am) The tiger is half is because not only have I felt a strong connection to them to, but also because it's a direct contradiction to the wolf half, and I consider myself a walking contradiction. (like my sona) I can give you the full answer in a PM if you want it.

Yeah I'd def'ly like to hear more about your fursona - you can PM me via my JoeStrike FA page.