• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How Did You Get Your Fursona?

ShyShadowCat55

Dreamy the Himalayan Knight
Whether it's the love for our fluffy pets or just liking furries in general. There are some who have a story about the love they've developed for creating their fursona.

I decided for my fursona to be a Himalayan cat after my awesome cat Prince passed away due to cancer back in 2017. (I named the sona Dreamy or how I like to say it... Dweamy) I have this fursona embodied with my shy and sometimes hyperactive self into it. Prince was my best friend in the toughest times. When I was crying, he came purring, nuzzling my hand and my soul back to happiness. Prince loved to talk too. His rate of just sitting there with me on the bed meowing was astonishing. The cat had something to talk about. So I just sat with him and listened. When I was really bored I pretended like I was actually holding a conversation with him which was hilarious and fun due to his never failing response which was a "meow". So how did you develop the want of a fursona? I can't wait to hear your story. >=w=<

RossTheRottie

Movie Buff, Aquascapist, Hack Writer
I've always identified closely with dogs and started thinking that my way of being kind of aligned with theirs quite some time ago, and there's something about me they like too. I couldn't imagine coming home and not having somebody that was that happy to see me every single time. They can't hide the way they are feeling, even if they try. I'm much the same way, I have very little capacity for dissembling even if I'd like to think otherwise. Also, I really can't hold a grudge and when I get in an argument with someone I have much the same need to sidle up to them an make sure we're okay--I can't just let it sit. I don't notice the finer points of human interaction that go on around me either. If its not really obvious, I have no idea what's going on with the social scene, no understanding or realization of the human drama that plays out around me on a daily basis. In particular some of the more Machiavellian machinations of human interactions escape me completely. I assume the worst about people and I share as little of myself as possible because I've hurt so badly and so much but I can't help but treat everyone just the opposite and try do do nice things for them because underneath I'm a nice, trusting person despite the protective facade I put up. People that really get to know me are always continually surprised by me the more that I feel comfortable sharing with them once they get past my aloof, clownish, everything is a joke to me, gruff exterior. I've always thought Rottweiler temperament in particular describes me pretty well: good-natured, placid, deeply devoted, even-tempered, aloof with strangers and not open to indiscriminate friendship, wait-and-see attitude, inherent desire to protect, but requires calm, stable leadership and stimulating challenges or they become destructive. Having met quite a few of them, that describes them pretty well. People look at us and pass judgement based on reputation and superficial appearances but they've got both of us all wrong. We're hyper-sensitive to human emotions and very sensitive to mistreatment by others despite what others think and despite the way we seem.
When I though about creating a Sona, I realized I had already made mine years before quite unintentionally. I thought it was a great idea to have a visual embodiment of the more positive things I feel about myself and a wish-list of skills I'd like to develop. He's very similar to me, same build, same calling, same personality, but has all of the things I'm lacking in. He knows how to have a good time, great dancer, a touch more impulsive, developed an understanding of human peer bonding, an internal confidence that matches the exterior one, better self-esteem, really anything I wish was better about myself.

Sam Wamm

I'm a goat plushie
When my birth parents were working as wildlife conservationists in British Columbia, Canada they brought me up to look after the animals and we spent a lot of time with Native North American Mountain Goats and I've had an affinity with most farm animals ever since.

Goats to me are brave problem-solvers and one of the very few creatures on this planet perfectly adapted to their environment rather than a somewhat okay creature adapting certain features to fit in.

Not only that but they are adaptable and overcome any changes to their environment and can call anywhere their home.

They are underappreciated survivors because they don't play by the rules and to humans that makes them stupid and defective when in reality they even have the humans wrapped round their figuritive finger.

I guess I find a kindred spirit in that, always the runt and the black sheep that doesn't fit in but finds a way to best everyone and is secretly the one laughing at everyone-else who doesn't get the joke.

At the same time they look after their flock despite their superiority like a wise guiding hand never truly understood but always making everything better for everyone in the long run despite the fact their methods look questionable.

Also can anyone else claim to have a fursona from back in the 70's? I was truly ahead of my time.

Princess Flufflebutt

I love cats and I love princess and I love pink so I mashed it all together and made my own princess cat. She wasn´t all that princess-y at first but I decided that she should look her namesake, no?

Croc and Roll

They see me rollin'
Crocodiles are probably my favorite animal that can be anthropomorphized easily (like, I can't imagine an anthro eagle ray). I like how they look fierce and intimidating, and I'd much rather be something monstrous than something cute and cuddly (it's totally an empowerment thing). I don't think my sona really has a stereotypical crocodile personality, but stereotypes are meant to be defied, no? I didn't put much thought into her design; I just drew a cartoon crocodile and rolled (heh) with it. So basically, everything about my sona was decided impulsively.

Sam Wamm

I'm a goat plushie
Crocodiles are probably my favorite animal that can be anthropomorphized easily (like, I can't imagine an anthro eagle ray). I like how they look fierce and intimidating, and I'd much rather be something monstrous than something cute and cuddly (it's totally an empowerment thing). I don't think my sona really has a stereotypical crocodile personality, but stereotypes are meant to be defied, no? I didn't put much thought into her design; I just drew a cartoon crocodile and rolled (heh) with it. So basically, everything about my sona was decided impulsively.

from personal experience all stealth hunters are actually rather shy and fearful and really appeciate a person who will show them genuine affection without a catch involved. They often win conflicts by intimidation and caught out in the open they are a fish out of water and often not any real threat so you can casually walk away from them.

People who live where crocodiles are say you can avoid being a meal by just staying out of the water and keeping a few feet between you and the croc. The crocs may dart a couple of feet and bare their teeth but on land they aren't interested in killing, just getting away from anything potentially dangerous to them or getting it away from them. That's why you see videos of cats fighting crocodiles and they just run away. They basically know they can't win on land.

Things like goats however are potentially more deadly and i know people who've been killed by goats when hiking up mountainsides because they underestimated the danger they were in. I've seen goats maul snakes to death and break people's ribs. Basically humans aren't that good at judging what's dangerous and what's not as they often weigh things up by size alone and how much teeth they have. So to human a croc must be terrifying but to a goat they are pathetic cowardly showoffs. Which might explain why they keep getting eaten by crocs that are in water.

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
I based LV off all the pet ferrets I’ve ever had. Smashed them all into one character and gave them wings for those I have lost. Then I ended up making them their own story and it spiraled from there.

NyteFae

Aggressively Passive
I'm very new to the fandom, but I've always loved cats and especially snow leopards. Many years ago when my kids were little I took them to the zoo and they had a new litter of snow leopards. We were allowed to hold them and I was hooked. I also love fae and fairies. When I took my son to his first furry con last month we were jokingly talking about what my fursona would be. Little did I know that I actually enjoyed the con and fandom so much that now I am one! An artist friend of my son's is drawing me a fursona and it will be a snow leopard with fae wings dressed in steampunk holding a sniper flintlock rifle. All of my favorite things in one. I can't wait to see it.

Faexie

Rara for short :)
If you ever want an eagle ray character, you could always base yourself on this manta ray dude I made :p www.furaffinity.net: Manta ray WIP by Ramona.Rat

As for my fursona... I just got my first rats when I entered the fandom, and I was obsessed with them. The contrast between the way society sees rats and how they actually are really gets to me, since being autistic I was kinda treated like a rat sometimes(self diagnosed, on the path of an official dx, but people could tell I was weird)

Just like with rats, people who take the time to know me think I'm actually one of the sweetest people they ever met and figure out that I am much smarter and emotionally mature than I look.

And purple and blue are my favorite colors :)

Sam Wamm

I'm a goat plushie
If you ever want an eagle ray character, you could always base yourself on this manta ray dude I made

my friend made a ray out of a kisra which is basically a tortilla wrap if it was just bread.

i'm impressed by how versatile a character they managed to make out of that nonsense.

Jackpot Raccuki

Mind your manors
He came to me in a box that said "Enjoy your fursona, loser."

Joke aside, I mostly enjoyed Grizzly bears a lot and I also really loved dogs and most canines, so I made my own work in progress species that are canines and made it half Grizzly as well.
Although the character himself mostly have references to my past, mostly stuff like him using his masks and being called "Like" instead of an actual name since he prefers to hide his identity.

ShyShadowCat55

I'm very new to the fandom, but I've always loved cats and especially snow leopards. Many years ago when my kids were little I took them to the zoo and they had a new litter of snow leopards. We were allowed to hold them and I was hooked. I also love fae and fairies. When I took my son to his first furry con last month we were jokingly talking about what my fursona would be. Little did I know that I actually enjoyed the con and fandom so much that now I am one! An artist friend of my son's is drawing me a fursona and it will be a snow leopard with fae wings dressed in steampunk holding a sniper flintlock rifle. All of my favorite things in one. I can't wait to see it.
That is very cute Nyte!

ShyShadowCat55

I love cats and I love princess and I love pink so I mashed it all together and made my own princess cat. She wasn´t all that princess-y at first but I decided that she should look her namesake, no?
What does her personality consist of? She looks like she's got some princess sass going on a little. OwO

HistoricalyIncorrect

When I joined the forums I felt weird without the sona so I made one. I wanted to draw the Eastern European wolf from XVI century but I failed and drew cat instead. I really liked him though and now I have a bobcat in fur hat with alcohol problem ^^

Also car seems to fit me better. I like to do things my own ways after all

Sam Wamm

I'm a goat plushie
I like to do things my own ways after all

i know the feel.
for one i got into being furry in the 70's when it was highly not cool.
and for two i chose a goat which is absolutely no-one's first choice.

Rexcaliburr

Vault Hunter
My brother and I used to play all sorts of imaginary roleplay games. We had characters who were talking cats named Fur (mine) and Tails (my brother's), and we had all sorts of other characters like giant snail grandpas, giant parrots with cheesy comebacks, and they went on all sorts of adventures. I one day decided I ought to have a new character, and thought cheetahs were really cool. So take a human-like cheetah, throw some red hair on her, and dump the Borderlands vibe on her and viola, I had my girl Navire.

She grew and developed over the years and became who she is now, which is less so a representation of who I am as a person, and more of who I aspire to be. I live my best life through her story.

Tyll'a

Stubborn Caracal
When I first met Tyll'a, I had no idea he would eventually become my sona. Originally, he was a FFXIV OC, and it was only after over a year of that that I realized he had become my sona. He's a part of me now, and I'm a part of him.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Grief was actually a supporting character, and my first attempt to make a male size-shifter. Also, I needed a son for my main villain so I made Grief his son.

D

Disgruntledfox

If anything I'm not so fox like, too slow and clumsy lol. I just got the fox from somebody and call it my main until I can figure myself out a bit more if that makes sense. I never really developed a fursona myself yet. Not since I was like, 8. That was a decade ago.

Ash_FreeSoul

Fox of the flower forest
For me it was kinda my love for foxes. I really like them and want one. So I was looking at this community and I thought it was pretty cool so I joined and now I am in the process of making my fursona.

Trevorbluesquirrel

I created mine in May 2016 before Fur Eh, because I wanted a ref sheet made there!

I did a couple Fursona quizzes online and got Skunk and Cat. They didn't feel right, so I looked up different animals, and found the ideal one for my personality!

I then did a sketch in red, but didn't really like the result, so I decided to try a cool color instead, and I loved the result!

As for my name, I've just always liked the name!

Ringo the Wolf

A lone wolf.
My imagination can do a fursona factory, but sadly... I can't draw.