• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How did you pick your fursona species?

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
I was playing around with ways to screw with the design of my college's rival's mascot (in other words, make it look like the UW Husky had abandoned his post if anyone wore a suit of my altered design), and at the same time I was doing some "deep research" (when I use 3rd party software to conceal my web traffic for more controversial research topics) for my YouTube channel, kinda working off one of those random-idea-because-I'm-out-of-ideas shit post videos (no joke, this was my whiteboard at the time:
open
). Along the way, I made 'sona and I realized I enjoyed the art as a whole. I ended up going with the wolf I had been working on during the video research (which has since then met it's doom in unpublished video hell)

Huluvoo

Galaxy Hitchhiker
I had no clue what I wanted to be, but then I seen a fursuiter called Binturong and that's who really made me fall in love with fursuiting. Of course, when I first seen them, I thought they were a big blue otter, which is why I initially chose an otter, and then I found out they were actually a species called a binturong. I still loved my otter sona though, but then with MonsteRoo and Pocari Roo, I fell in love with kangaroos, but I wasn't really interested in a pure kangaroo sona, so I just made my otter a hybrid, turning her into an Otteroo (I also really wanted a pouch, and big roo feet lol).

Z

Zaddict16

I chose my fursona to be a wolf because wolves are the best animals ever! No questions asked. Lol

Cloudyhue

Certified Fuzzbutt
I'm a bat/shark/raptor hybrid. I wanted a mashup of animals that would be unique and look really cool. I like the idea of having a flying character, so that's where I got the bat from. Sharks are one of my favorite animals and a very underrated one in the fandom at that. I wanted some cool claws as well and I like the big talons raptor feet, so I chose to throw that into the mix too.

Z

Zaddict16

I'm a bat/shark/raptor hybrid. I wanted a mashup of animals that would be unique and look really cool. I like the idea of having a flying character, so that's where I got the bat from. Sharks are one of my favorite animals and a very underrated one in the fandom at that. I wanted some cool claws as well and I like the big talons raptor feet, so I chose to throw that into the mix too.
Nice! So we got a Batgirl, Sharknado, Jurassic park fursona going on here. XD. Lol

Mandragoras

Inept Abecedarian
So, it's like this.

I used a particular username on a forum with some friends, a literary reference, and my future boyfriend and some other people got it and started joking that I was actually a polecat-ferret. This stuck. Eventually, though, when I became more involved in this sort of thing, I came to the conclusion that a pine marten was more appropriate.

My second choice, insofar as those are a thing, is the flying fox, because the comparisons are almost too on the nose, but it's a second choice because people don't understand how to draw wings on an anthropomorph.

I'm really new to it all, so for the past few weeks my persona feels like it is just starting to take shape in my head. It is really interesting and for me it feels like the start of a great adventure hopefully. Sadly I don't know anyone yet but I hope to so that I can go to conventions etc. I'm in talks with someone who may be making a costume for me. Anyway - yes I'm heading in the direction of a husky. I think they are fantastic. Tough choice though but yeah... that's where I'm at! I've started drawing in Adobe Illustrator/PhotoShop. Am fussy and want to get 'me' right!

Paulosaurus

Lord of Rawr
Personally, I followed the fandom for years as a lurker before becoming an active participant. When i did, I took a bit to sit down and think hard about species what I'd most closely identify with. When I was a kid I was REALLY into dinosaurs, to the point where I was reading paleontology books that I didn't even comprehend half the words of at the time. That in mind, I took my favorite dino from childhood, the allosaurus, and rolled with that as my fursona.

biscuitfister

Anyone want thier biscuit fisted?
I went with a husky instead of a wolf so i could correct people

Yvvki

Sassy lesser panda.
Hello. I choose a red panda because I take on some of the same traits as one. It was that or an owl but... I might make a red panda owl??? Owl because in a lot of my dreams I have brown owl wings...

Square-Wave_Kittycat

The Mewsician
Simple for me, I am literally obsessed with cats irl so I had to be a cat.

Renven

i chose a kitty cat because they are very submissive to people they like (most of 'em anyways), but when they get pissed off....

Taffypawz

I went to a convention (not a furry one btw) and i got these red fox ears and I was really into the red color and that's how velvet was born. :p

Keeroh

Shinies Snatcher
I found myself rummaging through trash one day.

Alternatively, I made a list of animals I liked/thought were cute (it was... a very long list) and then poked through the behavior that has been observed by said animal, and varied lores around them.
(Raccoons lore considers them tricksters, they have been known to be able to fiddle and open locks, they are semi-solitary and they eat everything. It me. :v )