• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How Did Your Family/Friends Treat You After They Found Out About You Being a Furry?

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
Most of my friends have no idea what a furry is.
My parents raised a few eyebrows but I guess that doesn't bother them that much

TheCynicalViet

I didn't tell I was. I only showed them what furries are. And then my cousin said (and I remember this cause it cemented the idea of me not telling them), "if I ever see these motherfuckers, I would shoot their asses". He probably would. He was actually about to run over someone with a fursuit outside of convention a few years ago.

It's because a lot of animals that are popular in the fandom have religious significance to my family and that you're not allowed to represent them in any way outside of auspicious iconography.

malibu

My dad knew what a furry was before I did. He was the one who kinda pointed the fandom out to me because I've always had an interest in animal cartoons, animal movies, and anthro characters. I think I was about 14 then.

No one else in the family know what a furry is because they dont care about that kinda stuff. My friends are the same, they just dont care. There are a handful of people at work who know what a furry is but they're apathetic about it.

I am very open about my interest in anthros though, and I buy furry related clothing and accessories from artists. The only way it's affected me was influencing gifts people give me. I get a lot of neat animal related stuff from family and friends.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
My dad knew what a furry was before I did. He was the one who kinda pointed the fandom out to me because I've always had an interest in animal cartoons, animal movies, and anthro characters. I think I was about 14 then.

No one else in the family know what a furry is because they dont care about that kinda stuff. My friends are the same, they just dont care. There are a handful of people at work who know what a furry is but they're apathetic about it.

I am very open about my interest in anthros though, and I buy furry related clothing and accessories from artists. The only way it's affected me was influencing gifts people give me. I get a lot of neat animal related stuff from family and friends.

Your dad took a risk lol ;D

Minerva_Minx

CDC predicts zombies...
So with you being a gay furry that would make you more understanding of it thus, you are biased! my parents want absolutely nothing to do with furry stuff, which is what maakes this a problem. if my parents were like you, there would be no problem! :)
Just depends on how cool with the idea you are. I really do find it true that hate and ignorance are fairly common, but knowledge and guts can get you through it. I am constantly challenging my kids on what they do and don't understand and like. My parents didn't like gay people, until I asked them and then brought home my first girlfriend. But we approached the subject, I told them, gave them time to accept and now everything is working fine. Being a furry is the same, just give it time and understand the initial response and feelings are ok to experience and can lead to positive outcomes.

So, I'm a cool parent? Damn, have to print this off and show my kids! Most times they complain I'm a girl and not like their friends' dads.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
When in doubt, show people Lisa Ling's "This is Life: Furry Nation." When somebody isn't at least a little bit moved by it, that speaks volumes about them as a person, and not in a good way.

Another common sound strategy involves taking your family or friends to a furmeet so they can see it for themselves, or introducing them to individual furries who'll make a good impression.

BayoDino

Well-Known Dino
she thinks they're not ok in the head because they have fursuits,
Then because i have no fursuit i'm not a furry XD

I understand you, my parents also tell this t me. they say who's furry is also have psychological problems :confused:

UwUCarlaUwU

Hello my fluffy children! OwO
yeah, i told my brother and he blurted it out to my parents, not giving me enough time to think of what to say :p

Chomby

Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichangas Chimichanga
I told my mom I was a furry and then showed her what it was since she didn't know. Most of the time she thinks they're cringy, but she has no real issue with them.

I showed her my new were-bat fursona a couple days ago and she called me "her bat girl." lol

Last edited:

Birdbf

I'm three ounces of whoop-ass.
I don’t care. Almost anyone who knows about it doesn’t care. It’s a hobby, and normally people are like “oh, okay, cool, anyways—“ or they’ll ask about my fursona. Pretty Normal. Don’t act like a freak and people usually won’t be weird LOL

When I was registering for college, a furry con was happening about a 10 minute walk away, and the registration lady told me about it so excitedly. My mom was probably more excited than I was, and we headed over after I finished my paperwork. She met one of those murrsuiters with the big-ass titties and she was super excited about it. She had no idea what was going on. Had me take a picture of them together.

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
I don't remember ever actually stating that I was a Furry to people, those that were close to me just seemed to either know and not care or not know and also not care haha. I was always involved in the fandom and enjoyed furry art but I only identified as a furry many years after "integrating" myself in the fandom and exploring what I liked and what I didn't like.

I identified as Otherkin before I identified as a Furry, so being animalistic to a degree had always been a core part of my personality, but being animalistic - I feel, - isn't necessarily a "furry" thing. It just feels like a more primal human thing. Therefore I don't blend or combine the two things. One is a label for identity purposes, and the other is a label for fandom/appeal purposes. Being a furry was just...kinda there. Similar to how I liked comics, or went to "normal" conventions. I liked anthros, and went to anthrocon. It's just such a small part of my overall set of traits, likes, and dislikes that I guess no one ever bothered to react to it when there was so many other more obvious things to react to (ex. being heavily goth). In truth, I've had more friends react to me wearing the color white or any form of "dress"-like attire than ever reacting to my occasional "furry"-like attire/affinities.

No pun intended. :p

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I doubt my parents know about the furry fandom. They like anthro art tho, for instance my dad's a big fan of Wes Anderson's Fantastic Mr Fox, so they like what I show them (which is clean, duh)

Biscayne

many dumb animals
My family just kind of regards it like one of those weird things I'm into, like anime or video games. My sister is kind of interested in making her own fursona one day (she didn't realize birds could be fursonas and wants to be a chicken).

Z

ZeroVoidTime

Apathy from my Mother.... (I pretty much summed it up.)

TheKeybasHGirl

Sora's Chronicles
Nah my parents don't mind it. They don't mind a lot of things tbh, they just warn me of stuff. Of course i'm an adult and my choices will have consiquences.

Matt the Terrier

Swing the Mood! =3
My parents kinda know I'm a furry. They know about my fursona, as it's also my YouTube username, but I've just never said the word itself. They just assume I'm a Krypto the Superdog fan.