• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How Did Your Family/Friends Treat You After They Found Out About You Being a Furry?

D

Deleted member 82554

After my mum found out she got me a butt plug tail and said "if you want to act like an animal walk down the street with nothing but this on all fours."

It's safe to say we've moved now.

MCtheBeardie

Queen of Laziness
My family thinks it’s odd, but they never stopped me from pursuing it.

They’re relatively chill about it, since they already think I’m odd as a person. Not just because I’m a furry, lol.

Skittles

Queen of FaF. Empress of Fløøf.
I am considered pretty quirky already within my family unit. And! I did recently admit to my mother that I am both Pansexual and Non binary which is probably more of a shock. She was pretty chill about that.. I doubt furry would bother her! Since she and the rest of my family knew I was heavily into Redwall Ha!

T

TemetNosce88

I've only ever told 2 people I actually know and a few people I only know online. Online people didn't seem to really care, but it took me quite a while to work up to telling anyone IRL. One eventually tried to use it against me, the other has been supportive if a little confused.

Vesper2112

Cygnus, Snickers, & Pogo
My daughter teases me a little (but she's a cosplayer and I'm guessing it's just a matter of time before she joins in). My partner is completely fine with it and just laughs at all the art I've commissioned of my fursonas. Everyone at my work knows I costume a lot, so they I'm pretty sure they're just lumping this in with that (or at least they're not saying anything rude to me about it, lol).

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Holy shit! Sorry to hear that. Wow.

How's the therapist been, out of curiosity?

VeeStars

uh I can explain?
I don't really tell people because being a furry is just a hobby, at least for me, it's not like coming out as gay or trans. If your parents are strict and gonna punish you, please don't tell them >.<

Spatel

Holy shit! Sorry to hear that. Wow.

How's the therapist been, out of curiosity?

Haha thanks for the concern! This was over a decade ago.

I had some good discussions with the therapist but ultimately disagreed with their diagnosis and stopped going. They did put me on SSRIs though for depression, which helped give me the bump that I needed to get a job, get a girlfriend, and move on with my life. As for the furry thing... it's just something I can never talk about with them.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
Sorry you can't talk to your parents. That sucks! At least relieved to hear that the therapist at least tried to be helpful, wasn't an anti-furry whackadoo, and that the SSRIs gave you a boost.

Tetrachroma

"nEw UsEr"
My 4 siblings are all totally cool with it, I can tell my mom finds it unsettling but she doesn't say anything, and my dad definitely hasn't heard of furries. I only have 4 close friends and they're all cool with it too. One of them makes fun of me for it sometimes but that's just how our friendship is, we make fun of eachother all the time over small things.

Vantablue

I don't intend to reveal it anytime soon, at least not to my parents, because they're both in their 60s. My mom is pretty accepting and probably would just think it's a little weird, but my dad tends to have the boomer mentality and he'd probably shame me for it.

DergenTheDragon

The cutest derg
There's one person in the entire world who knows me irl and knows and am a furry, and he's cool with cuz he's one too. I ain't revealing it to any of my family yet, it's been a total secret life of mine for unofficially probably around 5 or 6 years

D

Deleted member 134556

My siblings didn’t mind, father thought it was funny, and my mother thinks it’s a disgusting mental illness

D

Deleted member 134556

Really? the mothers are usually the ones who understand.. huh
The gods cursed me with a closed minded one who gets her info from all the wrong sources.

I love her, but still, she thinks furries are deviants and perverts, and for that I avoid discussing anything personal about my life with her

DergenTheDragon

The cutest derg
The gods cursed me with a closed minded one who gets her info from all the wrong sources.

I love her, but still, she thinks furries are deviants and perverts, and for that I avoid discussing anything personal about my life with her
That sucks, sorry it's turned out that way man.

Chomby

Just Another User