• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do I become king?

RareDrop

Hey guys absolutely new to the fandom but I have lots of things I want to make and share with the fandom. Physical plushies, real motion moving tails, etc. Can anyone point me in the direction to what I can and shouldn't do and how to climb the fur pile?

Skychickens

Late Healer Ferret
Well. Don’t act like it’s an identity. In the meantime, don a crown and have fun. That’s what you do.

I

Infrarednexus

Just be friendly and nice to others. Compliment what they create and share and they in turn will do the same to you. That's the best way to get a following and support.

Crimcyan

Chum bucket with the u
To become king the current king must step down from being king, and if you are in the royal bloodline you have a chance of being king.

I don't think anything I just said was right

Yakamaru

Very Speshul Title
I don't like eating shrimps either, especially not when the kingdom is at stake.

RareDrop

Just be friendly and nice to others. Compliment what they create and share and they in turn will do the same to you. That's the best way to get a following and support.
Let me give an example. I find a popular suitmaker but they are closed all the time. I check and they do not have license over their image. Can I parody their style and to be fair charge the same rate and not offer commissions for that "style" while the suiter is open. Also before I parody anyone I would offer 10% proceeds to them and if they turn it down the money will be held in escrow. I see no legal problems and capitalism is how the world turns. My concern here is getting too much negative ire from the community.

I

Infrarednexus

Let me give an example. I find a popular suitmaker but they are closed all the time. I check and they do not have license over their image. Can I parody their style and to be fair charge the same rate and not offer commissions for that "style" while the suiter is open. Also before I parody anyone I would offer 10% proceeds to them and if they turn it down the money will be held in escrow. I see no legal problems and capitalism is how the world turns. My concern here is getting too much negative ire from the community.
That's not something I would do personally.

Crimcyan

Chum bucket with the u
That's not really a good idea, knowing some of the fandom you will be burned on a stake for copying.
If you do have the skills to "parody" the popular suit makers, why dont you just make/design your own suits?

RareDrop

That's not really a good idea, knowing some of the fandom you will be burned on a stake for copying.
If you do have the skills to "parody" the popular suit makers, why dont you just make/design your own suits?
Designing a new suit is not meeting the market want "that" suit and I want to provide the suit people want when they want it.

RareDrop

Vs parosing their suits selling them 30% less and within 90 days.

DarkoKavinsky

ʎʇʇɐq ʇıq ɐ
There's a difference between style and Chinese rip off.

You can decide to pursue making suits in the style and if you can fill the market niche that's business.

But taking designs directly is not a good thing and you will be called out on it.

Seeing what general styles are popular and going from there to meet the demand is good. A lower price fur suit of a similiar quality to the always sold out one won't hurt a the guy whose always sold out.

RareDrop

There's a difference between style and Chinese rip off.

You can decide to pursue making suits in the style and if you can fill the market niche that's business.

But taking designs directly is not a good thing and you will be called out on it.

Seeing what general styles are popular and going from there to meet the demand is good. A lower price fur suit of a similiar quality to the always sold out one won't hurt a the guy whose always sold out.
Directly every exact spotvand marking, no it would be a similar suit using the same structures and techniques to "parody" the original designer but would have differences obviously. I am not going to sell an exact copy of "diezel" or anything like that.

Crimcyan

Chum bucket with the u
I would sell it as gig work to those who have proven the skill to met the rigid requirements.
So you would almost be running a suit making sweatshop sort of thing?

I'm not sure if people would be into that. I know alot of people who do buy suits buy them because of the maker who makes them, and the reputation that maker has.

RareDrop

So you would almost be running a suit making sweatshop sort of thing?

I'm not sure if people would be into that. I know alot of people who do buy suits buy them because of the maker who makes them, and the reputation that maker has.
At an average of $1600/full suit I dont think my gig workers would go hungry. I would consider contractors or work with other makers (to take more comissions) I expect hollywood grade suits for $4k or less and 90 days or less to deliver.

Crimcyan

Chum bucket with the u
At an average of $1600/full suit I dont think my gig workers would go hungry. I would consider contractors or work with other makers (to take more comissions) I expect hollywood grade suits for $4k or less and 90 days or less to deliver.
Just saying, if I was in the market for a suit I'd probably go with dropping alot of money on a well known maker then a company that has different workers working on a suit.

Ciderfine

Slow as sickness but true as sap
Banned

You are doing and asking all the wrong questions

Ciderfine

Banned
If this is what your aiming for then this place isn't for you and your not for this place. You come off as hundreds of furries I've ran into looking for prime fame, royalty respect, skill, class and wishing to place themselves above others for the sake of wanting to be "THE FURRY". Frankly I don't think you even have what it takes to do such things or even if you really understand who you are and what the fandom really means for you.

Takes years and thousands of dollars and hours to become a decent a crafter and that's not just the bad news. In general a very small percentage of the fandom is inserted in such things, meaning should you start crafting things you'd have to compete with the big names who already have a working ethical reputation to their craft and business name.

There is no real way to say "learn" about these things other then diving into it and finding what ever etsy world/creator can talk to you about it. But frankly its a very costly, stressful and laboring process. And you can't just point and become a master. Frankly this maybe is just a giant pipe dream.

Ciderfine

Banned
I can understand that and would need to either do/purchase market research on brabd loyalty

Your really dodging a lot of whats directed at you, I really dont think your able at all to make amazing suits or constructs at all. Your really all in with your approach and that's kind of worry some as if this plan fails what then?

Ciderfine

Banned
But the real question is do you have the skills to "parody" the popular suit makers?
Suits may be alot harder to make then you think.

I agree with this, not only hard but way more harder. These are pieces of worn and fragile covers that have to be able to take wear and tear and also have a good life span. Also with having to map out and scale a buyers body size dimensions woven into all without fail.