• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do I make a shaped tail?

Avlenna

Shadow of the Night
If this is in the wrong place please move it.
I didn't see a thread that said anything about this, so I will ask. How do I make a shaped tail? I'm looking for a tail that has more of a J-shape to it rather than an S-shape. I'm basically looking for what I need to do to make it shaped. Do I cut the fur a certain way? Does the shape just come from a foam base? I need help!

Hutch

Keep Smiling :)
Like this one?
http://tinypic.com/r/2z4icrt/5

Mine isn't foam. Its stuffed. Draw out the shape on newspaper or something and draw in your markings and put your fur direction on it. Just cut the shape you want and sew the two sides together and stuff it. Just remember you probably have to cut it in a couple different pieces to have the fur lay the right way. My tail was 10 different pieces.

Willow

FAF's #1 Terrorist
Do I cut the fur a certain way?
Yes. And then you stuff it. Though I think the problem people have with stuffing tails is that eventually the batting sinks to the bottom and gives it a funny shape.

Alternatively you can carve the shape out of foam but that may require a little bit more work.

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
Don't make a "fluffy piece of crap" tail, where it looks like the suiter is pooping out a huge piece of furry shit.

Hutch

Keep Smiling :)
Yes. And then you stuff it. Though I think the problem people have with stuffing tails is that eventually the batting sinks to the bottom and gives it a funny shape.

Alternatively you can carve the shape out of foam but that may require a little bit more work.

it doesn't sink to the bottom if you use shaved foam instead of the cotton stuffing. You may just need to give it a shake every couple wears or so.