• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do RP?

Rose McCoy

I probably hate it.
So this is something ive never actually done. I play lots of table top RPGs, but I never got how encounters would play out without a DM or the all powerful dice. Sory in advance if this thred is in the wrong place by the way.

M

modfox

do what i do what i do make up a story and basically play as a character in that story with other people .
basically like imagination coop

Rose McCoy

I probably hate it.
Yes but what happens in combat? Or a despute? Or an obstacle? Does the game just devolve into the playground game where the only winner whas the kid who said he had an everything prof shild? Is everyone a merry sue? How is there order?

M

modfox

i am new to RP to but i will just say devolve into the playground is the way to go

cyclingswitch

Furry Engineer
Really depends on the members of the RP. It can be bad like that...but good RPers generally try to advance the story and/or keep it interesting. Being Mary Sue is not interesting.

M

modfox

it is really bad when some one interrupts and says'(every one died the end).

Rose McCoy

I probably hate it.
Exactly. When I was a DM I alwase had my players have flaws. I had a frend who was afeade of spiders, and hated orcs. So a nother player played as an orc warrior, and at one point they all went through a spider infested forest. In the end it was the first player who landed a killing blow on the spider theemed boss at the end. And he had got over his orc hatred. Its a character ark.

TidesofFate

Your friendly neighborhood Executioner
Just flip a coin or something. Heads, you get dodge and tails you get hit or something like that. That's what I would do if I didn't have dice. It's hard to do an RP without a DM or dice since no one wants to get hit or die so you're better off doing it the traditional tabletop RPG way.

Osrik

Yeah, forum based role-playing definitely has its problems. I have not done any here, but on other forums I have encountered quite a bit of trolling and Mary Sueing, as well as many posts simply out of context to what is happening at the time in the story.

Usually, you just need to find people who actually want to role-play convincing characters and keep consistency in the story. It also helps if you have some way to do die rolls on the forum (so people can't fudge their rolls), but i don't think FAF has that.

In regards to the "everyone died" troll posts, I usually just ignore them entirely, and treat continue the story from whatever the last relevant post was.