• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you choose backgrounds for colorful characters?

dahbastard

I have been working on a character, this week, and I really like how he's coming along. Here are 3 WIP versions of him:

I prefer the top-down shading to the side-baised shading of the middle image (because I imagined a noon-day sun shining directly down on him), but I also plan on working the sparkles into his garment (and fixing up the blending in the shading, because it looks tacky)
The trouble is that this character kind of has a split-complementary color scheme going, which makes it difficult for me to think of what I should do for his background. As you can see from the second image, I planned to place him on top of a precipice, overlooking a snow-capped mountain range, but I thought that might be too generic (though the white from the snow would definitely help, since it is a neutral color). At any rate, I love that he is so colorful, and, as far as I can tell, the color scheme doesn't clash. So, my question is: what are techniques I can use for putting a colorful character against a background?

Also, do you have any suggestions for how I can improve upon this design? Thank you for your time.

MissNook

The colors next to your characters colors in the color wheel can really make it pop (I'm thinking of this yellow: #ffe275 and this blue-green #75ffbe for examples)

Also you can use some of the colors of your characters with more luminosity and less saturation to use as background.

I like his design by the way ^^ Maybe you could try to darken the snake design so that it will be more visible with the blue under (except if it's meant to be a little more hidden than the rest of course :) )

Hope that helps!