• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How Do You Feel About Adopts?

drawain

Artist
I don't have anything against adopts. Just the majority of trash on the adoptables market. :I

AwoDee

Daddee
Sometimes people's original species designs are so general that it would be unreasonable to consider them exclusive intellectual property.

For example a strawberry fox isn't so unique that somebody could claim that anybody else with a strawberry fox character has stolen their idea.
imo the main/only thing worth it for stereotypical/extremely basic species designs is if the design's wicked awesome as fuck, and has extremely interesting/detailed lore behind the species ahaHAha,,,

else wise??? even my OS loving ass stays away from them like all hell. I ain't going to hold myself down n back by whatever stupid rules it'll have, purely because I want a dog with, what? Probably just oversized saber teeth. Complex ones with more original anatomy are the way to go,,,

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
imo the main/only thing worth it for stereotypical/extremely basic species designs is if the design's wicked awesome as fuck, and has extremely interesting/detailed lore behind the species ahaHAha,,,

else wise??? even my OS loving ass stays away from them like all hell. I ain't going to hold myself down n back by whatever stupid rules it'll have, purely because I want a dog with, what? Probably just oversized saber teeth. Complex ones with more original anatomy are the way to go,,,

I don't understand how the original artist is meant to enforce any terms of use they imagine the adoptable character will have anyway.

AwoDee

Daddee
I don't understand how the original artist is meant to enforce any terms of use they imagine the adoptable character will have anyway.
Generally enforcing rules is more or less giving a poke on someone's shoulder to remind them abt the rules if they see them breaking it, but if they continue to do so/tell you off, you blacklist them. Anyone who takes back the design's bullshit and scam worthy, imo. Tbh tho, it's like a herd mentality almost with black listing? If 3/4 ppl blacklist you, then you'll end up getting blacklisted by a large number of others.

Besides that, if you break species rules, normally you get a tap on the shoulder and then if you continue, they'll tell you that your design's not considered an official member of the species anymore. Normally you'll find yourself banned from the groups surrounding it, and can go on about your way. Though again - like I've mentioned, there's a good few douchebags out there who'll try turning around and taking back the designs from folks who rightfully paid, but ended up breaking some stupid, minor rules. Like 'don't redesign' (which imo is a bullshit rule, I loathe that w/ my every being) - regardless of how long they've had the design, or how much money spent. Majority of the time, the owner of the character doesn't even know that their design was taken back. Unfortunately, this bit is way more common outside of species communities, rampant in the 'one off' general communities.

Though yeah, there's a ton of trash to pick through with it all. Thankfully? A lot of folks who pull that shit don't even have good enough designs to stick for, anyways. Tends to happen with dime for a dozen designers, aka folks who try turning out as many designs they possibly can within a day, sell 'em cheap and try pushing more quantity than quality.

Also? Heavily uncomfortable here w/ anyone who's like 'credit me anytime you draw this character',,, like bih, we already credit you for being the creator of the design anytime someone asks abt the design + on their written bio??? why you wanna get even more credit, that's like getting a ton of free, perma advertisement. There's a lot more I can go on abt ahAhaa,,, tho!!! There's a lot of good I can go on abt, too. A lotta folks and their designs are diamonds in the roughs, takes a little bit to find 'em but they're certainly there.

adiostama

I think well made adoptables can be cute and I like closed species that also have some sort of community so we can talk about our characters together.
Tho at that point I usually would just prefer to commission the artist to make a custom one so it still has some of my own ideas.

What pisses me off tho is seeing adoptables from free bases trying to be sold for like 20$.
Just doesn't seem right to me :/

Xavier Fox

Adopts were completely off my radar until recently.

I don't get the point.
It's not your character, it's generally a generic character with different colouring to another one being sold.

Why would you buy an adopt?

TimFox

I never cared much about adoptables - especially considering I solely use my fursona for everything I do considering "Furry".

I used to adopt the "unwanted" (and/or ugly) OCs within another fandom, but I think that's different.
I never identified with those - compared to my fox of course.

Sprite

The Sheepish Sheep
I personally enjoy adopts. At least when they're well-made.

I think the common argument against them is that buying an adopt is considered lazy, and people should instead take the time to make a personalized design themselves. But this can be difficult for some, as not everyone is artistically or creatively inclined. I think adopts serve an excellent role in giving these people an opportunity to own original characters without having to struggle with the designing process. Whether an adopt feels personal to someone is up to them to decide. Some people really don't mind not having a hand in creating it.

Even for those who are creative, sometimes the quality of an adopt is simply far beyond the scope of one's own imagination. I know I've personally seen many incredible designs that I would have never thought of making myself. In these case I think it's perfectly fine to make a purchase. (As long as you're comfortable with the price of course.) An artist's job is to be creative, so it's not too surprising that they would create better designs than an average person.

Adopts can also serve as great springboards for creating better, more fleshed out designs. One of my favorite fursonas started out as a cheap chibi adopt and it was easily worth every penny. I ended up keeping the basic idea, but made a few tweaks which resulted in a really fun, creative design that I never would had came up with otherwise.

Many adopts are lazy and uncreative. I would say most aren't worth a buy. But hidden in the sea of bad adopts are a few hidden gems and there's nothing wrong with wanting one.

Last edited:

GemStoner

I turned bitter about them pretty quick.

I remember when every day I would see a new sheet of adoptable "elemental wolves" pop up on DA....Every day a new fire wolf, water wolf, etc. every single person had to come out with their own set of the same damn thing.

I even called someone out kinda rudely and unwatched them for selling as an adoptable: a straight up tabby cat anthro (completely typical tabby markings and colors) with a brunette human haircut and a pair of glasses.. They were asking something substantial like $40 for it.

I know there's a lot of neat designs out there that most people couldn't come up with themselves, and i appreciate those for what they do for the community, but to me this was the perfect example of something anybody COULD come up with for themselves.

I think what's even more annoying now tho is how this has led to the new trend of massive hoarding and then selling of characters like they're trading cards.

SabreMutt

One of my 2 fursonas was gotten after SerialDad made them as an adoptable - after one look, I fell in love and just knew I would have tons of fun making lots of art for them!

I am currently working on some adoptables that will be unveiled soon, but not yet because I want to be sure the designs are great before releasing them!

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
How about somebody adopts me, and then, I don't have to work. I just need a place for my books, and a small 'mischief den' a fursuit, a computer, three meals a day, and can't be bothered with chores, but anyone who adopts me will be rewarded simply by my cuteness, charm and wit, not to mention my modesty.

~

But as for closed species that one buys into: I can't say I like the idea; never have, but if somebody wants to, fine, I just can't say I get the whole concept, and also, that it can seem kinda snobby, in ways.

Minerva_Minx

Succumbing to her own psychosis
I would consider adopting you but i am not so sure about your being housebroken. besides, we have an artist trying to give some moron a fursona, lol

Minerva_Minx

Sometimes the only time someone gets you just right is an adopt.

My ava is an adopt someone thought they had wrong. it turned out perfect!

Simo

Professional Watermelon Farmer
I would consider adopting you but i am not so sure about your being housebroken. besides, we have an artist trying to give some moron a fursona, lol

Not only am I housebroken, but I provide home security. : )

Nobody tries to break into a place, when they see a skunk! More effective than even a barky Rottweiler, we are, as a deterrent.

HistoricalyIncorrect

Shekel collector
I do not feel at all but i would not like to have one, i can create a character with complex personality and with long backstory.
Using adopdable would be empty for me

Minerva_Minx

Hmm, tough sell with good points. And free sarcasm. wow, choices...