• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you feel about people hating children?

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Yes. Because no one believes in punishment anymore as it is child abuse.

I find that's hardly a factor. It's more a problem of being too lazy to discipline (or just being annoyed by its difficulty.) Parents nowadays would rather the tv babysit their kids while they go off and do what they want. And don't get me started on the strange morals popping up.

I work at a place that sells games, and I have adults that purchase M-rated games for kids 8 and younger. Games I know have a ton of profanity and sexual themes. I have to explain what the rating system means due to a state law (which I think people should do anyway) and the parents either shrug it off or give in after the kid throws a hissy fit if they think they aren't getting what they want. I can't legally deny the sale to the adult.

It's just sickening to me how much people let their kids control them and not the other way around.

Khopesh

Ruin Raider
I don't hate kids. I've known plenty that are good people. The problem is, yeah, the parents. Sometimes it's because of instinct. Sometimes it's because of lack of knowledge. Hell, I know a guy who was accepted to both UCLA and USC, but his dad was going to make him go to a Cal State University because he didn't want to look up financial aid options. Kids that are just major jackasses can have that traced to the parents. People, if you don't want to spend the time actually being a parent (you just want to be friends with your kids), then you shouldn't have kids.

Aleu

Deuces
I find that's hardly a factor. It's more a problem of being too lazy to discipline (or just being annoyed by its difficulty.) Parents nowadays would rather the tv babysit their kids while they go off and do what they want. And don't get me started on the strange morals popping up.

I work at a place that sells games, and I have adults that purchase M-rated games for kids 8 and younger. Games I know have a ton of profanity and sexual themes. I have to explain what the rating system means due to a state law (which I think people should do anyway) and the parents either shrug it off or give in after the kid throws a hissy fit if they think they aren't getting what they want. I can't legally deny the sale to the adult.

It's just sickening to me how much people let their kids control them and not the other way around.
It could be both. Just read up in the parenting section in Yahoo. If you so much as look at a child wrong or suggest that a child's attitude needs to be corrected, shit breaks loose.
See that really bugs me when people don't know the difference between punishment and throwing a kid out the window. Spanking a child is not beating them with a bat. Putting them in time out is not akin to solitary confinement for a decade with no food or water.

Lucy Bones

Banned
Banned
My parents beat the shit out of me.

Closed fists, I had many bruises as a child.

I think I was abused. :U

chagen

Banned
Banned
a parent that goes ape-shit when a kid has done something wrong but does not deserve to get hit for it is just plain abuse in a my opinion.

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
Yes. Because no one believes in punishment anymore as it is child abuse.

In my day, if kids acted out on public, you'd get Mr.Switch on your hind-pots or a slap on the ass with a hand or a belt. Now it is abuse.

When you acted out in the neighborhood or acted disrespectful towards the neighbors, the neighbors would punish you...and now that's abuse.

Between this generation's Disney Channel and a lack of parenting, I don't know which one to blame. >:V

Judge Spear

I remember when I was 12 and I saw Awesome Grammy (that's what I called her) at the with my mom. She had her grandson with her and this peculiar thin wire like thing at ready in her hand. He wanted a drink from the fountain and he was fumbling trying to get up to the faucet. She tried to help him up and he said "I CAN DO IT MYSEEEELF!!

She whipped him in a fashion that would make Simon Belmont proud. I was DYING!!

My parents beat the shit out of me.

Closed fists, I had many bruises as a child.

I think I was abused. :U

This man got banned again...

I've gotta say though, a lot of kids these days are spoiled, uncontrollable brats. Has parenting taken a backseat to giving the child what they want?

Spoiled kids get on my nerves. That...damn what is it called? That tiara toddler pageant reality show thing is a prime example of children that could land me in my grave should I ever meet them OR their parents in person. Never. I could NEVER allow my child to become that.

Last edited:

Rilvor

Formal when angry
We like to pretend it is a lack of punishment, but it is not just that. Punishment without measures taken to correct the behavior is worthless. It doesn't actually teach the child why it was bad.

A lot of people miss out on the addition of corrective behavior, and you'll see this in any discussion that involves punishing children.

As a child I was punished with switches and such, sure. I certainly deserved it, but being made to understand what I did wrong is likely why I never got in trouble for the same thing twice.

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
I'm pretty sure a child's behaviour is affected by other factors than just discipline. For example, happy couples seem to have happy, friendly kids. Depressed, lazy parents are less likely to such social and polite children. Attitudes of parents may well rub off onto their sons and daughters.

Troj

Your Friendly Neighborhood Dino Therapist
I'm pretty sure a child's behaviour is affected by other factors than just discipline. For example, happy couples seem to have happy, friendly kids. Depressed, lazy parents are less likely to such social and polite children. Attitudes of parents may well rub off onto their sons and daughters.

Well, and some theorists have argued--quite eloquently and effectively, I think--that we often pay too little attention to genetic factors, when considering personality and temperament.

So, rather than being grouchy and ill-tempered because her parents were distant and aloof, maybe a child's parents became distant and aloof because she was naturally grouchy and ill-tempered, and their aloof style only served to exacerbate these problems.

It's a tricky chicken-egg problem.

O

Outcast

I'm respecting of all human beings, that being said, children still manage to become the topping to my shit sundae... some things never change, and when I say "change", I mean "change themselves".

Nerii-Fur

Furry Artist
I have the upmost hate for 95% of the children I meet or so, but the reality of it is that it's not them to blame-- I guess I should just say I despise parents of out-of-control-screaming-brats.

Also OP, people often hate what they once were. I don't really know where that thought of your's is stemming from.

I'm happy to say I'll never have kids.

Last edited:
I mean, I guess it always bugs me when people rag on children in general. I mean, one specific child? Sure, some of them are completely insufferable to be around. But that's far from all of them. I think hating children in your 20s is what leads to hating "those young people these days" in your 40s. It's a lack of empathy, and a lack of a will to understand, combined with a wish to just blame it all on someone. And who better to blame for everything than the people who don't have any rights to defend themselves?

Here's a little chicken-and-egg theory question: Do parents hit their children because they are obnoxious, or are children obnoxious because their parents hit them? I dunno about where you guys went to school, but around where I was the kids who were bullies were the ones who generally had an ass-whupping waiting for them at the door if they did something bad. Since they learned that power was determined by fear and physical force, they bullied smaller, weaker children to assert their dominance, particularly over kids they viewed as a threat (usually for being smarter). Yes, there are absolutely problems with parenting in the 21st century but abandoning corporal punishment is not one of them. If anything, I think corporal punishment disguised lousy parenting in the past; you could shut your kid up with a good smack, so it didn't matter if you were otherwise useless.

EDIT: And for the record, I have a horrible relationship with my 11 year old brother, and my parents used corporal punishment on me when I was little.

Kvasir

Zumba!!!
I personally do not like kids mainly because I am super jealous because I never really had a childhood, I simply cannot connect. Every time I try I drive the wedge deeper. I can hardly stand to be around my cousins, nieces and nephew. To me they are an avoid when possible but pay attention to them because I don't want our next gen to be f'ed up, I think some people shouldn't even consider parenthood (sadly they don't) but end up breeding profusely and passing on the thought that it is ok to mate with everything available. This is my opinion however and it isn't saying that all people are bad parents, simply most of the parents that I have met excluding a few.

Aleu

Deuces
Does this help to redeem children at all, for those of you who aren't big on them?
That severely got on my nerves.

I mean, I guess it always bugs me when people rag on children in general. I mean, one specific child? Sure, some of them are completely insufferable to be around. But that's far from all of them. I think hating children in your 20s is what leads to hating "those young people these days" in your 40s. It's a lack of empathy, and a lack of a will to understand, combined with a wish to just blame it all on someone. And who better to blame for everything than the people who don't have any rights to defend themselves?

Here's a little chicken-and-egg theory question: Do parents hit their children because they are obnoxious, or are children obnoxious because their parents hit them? I dunno about where you guys went to school, but around where I was the kids who were bullies were the ones who generally had an ass-whupping waiting for them at the door if they did something bad. Since they learned that power was determined by fear and physical force, they bullied smaller, weaker children to assert their dominance, particularly over kids they viewed as a threat (usually for being smarter). Yes, there are absolutely problems with parenting in the 21st century but abandoning corporal punishment is not one of them. If anything, I think corporal punishment disguised lousy parenting in the past; you could shut your kid up with a good smack, so it didn't matter if you were otherwise useless.

EDIT: And for the record, I have a horrible relationship with my 11 year old brother, and my parents used corporal punishment on me when I was little.

Parents hit children because they are obnoxious. Duh. That's the point of corporal punishment.

I think you're still mad that your parents used corporal punishment when you more than likely deserved it but thing "Oh hitting is bad therefore they're wrong and I'm right!"

Last edited:

Yago

Ambered Amaranth
I really don't like children. Or most people for that matter. Some children aren't too bad. And as a whole, they're fine in small doses. But I dont' see myself being able to be a parent or babysitter, or to put up with them for extended periods of time.