• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you fix brain fog?

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
(Being that this is on the internet, I don't have high expectations on the results, but I thought I would try anyway)

How do you fix brain fog? I'm talking about that heavy feeling in the head that renders you useless and makes thought difficult.

Apparently taking vitamins, exercising, and eating healthy did not work.

This person who is having this issue is in Software Development, he did not have these problems before in high school and his first college year but started experiencing this in his last two quarters, used to draw a lot but just gave up on it, is very smart and naturally good at thinking and problem solving but not so much with his brain fog, is a loner, and
has Asperger's Syndrome

Any ideas what he can do about this? It would be really great if this guy can get back to his normal self.....

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
Try using a dehumidifier. That gets rid of my fog.

in all serious, if the fog is constantly in the way, there could be a reason for it; perhaps a symptom of mental fatigue, ADD or simply a lack of vitamin D and/or B12. Depression can manifest itself in more ways than just feeling sad. Sometimes day-to-day stress can pile up and manifest itself as a mental block. if taking a serious break and starting fresh isn't an option, i'd try taking D and B12 for a start and perhaps seeing a doctor if nothing improves. Keep in mind the "nocebo" effect as well going forward with tests to find the cause.

Good luck.

MadKiyo

I've been de-batted, oh no!
I have sleep problems quite often and I end up browsing or texting for a while before falling asleep, Occasionally I will be fogged out for hours on end. I'm wondering about your sleep patterns.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Well him having autism is very likely a large part of why he's having this. It's been documented that a large majority autistic people can't express discontent and other shit like that which just builds up and then gets vented out through other unhealthy means like violently rampaging everything or pretty well becoming useless until it's out.

Could try Melatonin as supplements to help with sleep since that might help

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist

in all serious, if the fog is constantly in the way, there could be a reason for it; perhaps a symptom of mental fatigue, ADD or simply a lack of vitamin D and/or B12. Depression can manifest itself in more ways than just feeling sad. Sometimes day-to-day stress can pile up and manifest itself as a mental block. if taking a serious break and starting fresh isn't an option, i'd try taking D and B12 for a start and perhaps seeing a doctor if nothing improves. Keep in mind the "nocebo" effect as well going forward with tests to find the cause.

Good luck.
Haha.

Anyway, he has just started taking B12 this week, and he drinks 2 glasses of milk a day (at breakfast and at dessert). Breaks are not an option for him right now, he is more than halfway through his final quarter. We have scheduled an appointment with a doctor for him. What is the "nosebo effect" by the way?

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
Well him having autism is very likely a large part of why he's having this. It's been documented that a large majority autistic people can't express discontent and other shit like that which just builds up and then gets vented out through other unhealthy means like violently rampaging everything or pretty well becoming useless until it's out.

Could try Melatonin as supplements to help with sleep since that might help
He does have trouble getting his feelings out and usually ends up getting very frustrated. He can get pretty violent sometimes.

Melatonin? Thanks, I'll look into that. We're trying whatever we can to get him back to himself.

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
I have sleep problems quite often and I end up browsing or texting for a while before falling asleep, Occasionally I will be fogged out for hours on end. I'm wondering about your sleep patterns.
This guy does have problems and is usually restless. He has been regularly going to sleep as late as 4AM, and on few occasions as late as 5AM. This week we talked and he is trying to improve his sleep schedule, he went to bed at 2AM last night and awoke at 11AM. He mostly has problems falling asleep since he claims that his mind is racing even though his body is tired.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
He does have trouble getting his feelings out and usually ends up getting very frustrated. He can get pretty violent sometimes.

Melatonin? Thanks, I'll look into that. We're trying whatever we can to get him back to himself.

Just don't take it too much or else your body adapts to the dose you take which lowers your natural production

This guy does have problems and is usually restless. He has been regularly going to sleep as late as 4AM, and on few occasions as late as 5AM. This week we talked and he is trying to improve his sleep schedule, he went to bed at 2AM last night and awoke at 11AM. He mostly has problems falling asleep since he claims that his mind is racing even though his body is tired.

Alright HERE is where I can say something even better. Have him go to either a doctor or a therapist and specifically ask for Mirtazapine. 45mg of that at night will knock you the fuck out and leave you waking up practically high for a few hours. It's amazing for stress and anxiety; no joke it legit saved my life.

Like seriously, it actually saved my life

MadKiyo

I've been de-batted, oh no!

Whoops for some reason I thought you were talking about yourself. Well, what I said still stands so whatever.

A solution I'm trying is making sure I wake up early. Yeah, it does sound kind of crazy, but a normal person really can't go without sleep, you eventually will fall asleep. Setting that pattern might put the time he normally falls asleep back a few hours. Also, exercise is really important for rest.

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
Just don't take it too much or else your body adapts to the dose you take which lowers your natural production

Alright HERE is where I can say something even better. Have him go to either a doctor or a therapist and specifically ask for Mirtazapine. 45mg of that at night will knock you the fuck out and leave you waking up practically high for a few hours. It's amazing for stress and anxiety; no joke it legit saved my life.

Like seriously, it actually saved my life
Mirtazapine? Been looking at that one, it seems relatively similar to Fluoxetine, which is what he is currently taking. We'll think about it.

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
Whoops for some reason I thought you were talking about yourself. Well, what I said still stands so whatever.

A solution I'm trying is making sure I wake up early. Yeah, it does sound kind of crazy, but a normal person really can't go without sleep, you eventually will fall asleep. Setting that pattern might put the time he normally falls asleep back a few hours. Also, exercise is really important for rest.
Might try to get him to wake up early, although not too early since he goes to night classes.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
Mirtazapine? Been looking at that one, it seems relatively similar to Fluoxetine, which is what he is currently taking. We'll think about it.

Shit man I take it and, after being on it for close to a year, it just makes me a little drowsy, but when you're not used to it it will knock you the fuck out like a horse kick to the face

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
He mostly has problems falling asleep since he claims that his mind is racing even though his body is tired.
I suggest melatonin, turning off electronics a couple hours before bed, and not doing homework right before bed if possible. Alternatively, instead of turning off all electronics, an hour or so of Netflix might help. It's something that shouldn't require much mental effort, so it might help him "wind down."

Also in all seriousness, if it's legal, a little marijuana can help a lot with that kind of thing as a last resort.

Sergei Nóhomo

Spicey Memes
Banned
I suggest melatonin, turning off electronics a couple hours before bed, and not doing homework right before bed if possible. Alternatively, instead of turning off all electronics, an hour or so of Netflix might help. It's something that shouldn't require much mental effort, so it might help him "wind down."

Also in all seriousness, if it's legal, a little marijuana can help a lot with that kind of thing as a last resort.

Way to copy me

NERD

PlusThirtyOne

What DOES my username mean...?
Haha.

Anyway, he has just started taking B12 this week, and he drinks 2 glasses of milk a day (at breakfast and at dessert). Breaks are not an option for him right now, he is more than halfway through his final quarter. We have scheduled an appointment with a doctor for him. What is the "nosebo effect" by the way?
B12 in supplement pill form is fine but i don't recommend milk for vitamin D. Whole milk is best, with a higher amount of D than 1 or 2% but you don't want (or need) all the other stuff that comes with milk. Milk is actually quite bad for you when you drink it straight. Canned tuna is a better alternative or just plain supplemental pills taken every other day. Supplements are usually a huge waste of money but if you're truly running low it never hurts to bring it up. As for the "nocebo", it's the opposite of the placebo effect, where one can take a sugar pill and experience "real benefits" despite the pill being useless. The nocebo effect is one where a patient can believe so hard that a drug doesn't work that in the end it doesn't show improvement. if you adamantly try something you're sure won't work then it probably won't. ie: "Vitamin D doesn't help so why am i taking it?!"

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
For Aspie brain fog, one of my first things to suggest is to check for sensory distractions. Bad clothes from tacky dress codes, loud-mouthed students, and stuff like that. And then counter with frequent breaks, noise-cancelling headsets, and whatever addresses the issues. My attempt at college was sensory hell for me because there was absolutely no discipline in the classrooms whatsoever and they were remodeling too so those fumes were making me sick every day on top of the pounding noise headaches I was getting.

An introverted Aspie is likely being over-socialized and might can benefit from online classes if the online classes in questions are worth a flip. Maybe get him a good stimtoy or something to vent his frustrations on.

As for trying to shut the mind down to sleep at night, good luck. Some people benefit from calming music, relaxing smells, yoga, meditation, movies, breathing exercises, and whatnot. I just started channeling the brain activity into thinking myself to sleep, like daydreaming and stuff.

Confound you, you beat me to it!! :mad:

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
For Aspie brain fog, one of my first things to suggest is to check for sensory distractions. Bad clothes from tacky dress codes, loud-mouthed students, and stuff like that. And then counter with frequent breaks, noise-cancelling headsets, and whatever addresses the issues. My attempt at college was sensory hell for me because there was absolutely no discipline in the classrooms whatsoever and they were remodeling too so those fumes were making me sick every day on top of the pounding noise headaches I was getting.

An introverted Aspie is likely being over-socialized and might can benefit from online classes if the online classes in questions are worth a flip. Maybe get him a good stimtoy or something to vent his frustrations on.

As for trying to shut the mind down to sleep at night, good luck. Some people benefit from calming music, relaxing smells, yoga, meditation, movies, breathing exercises, and whatnot. I just started channeling the brain activity into thinking myself to sleep, like daydreaming and stuff.

Confound you, you beat me to it!! :mad:
He has learned to block out the world, thankfully.

He tried an online class once, he hated it and failed. He got very frustrated with the EBooks and online interface. Stimtoys don't work for him.

He also tells me how he wishes he knew how to daydream, he tells me he can't focus anymore.

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
He has learned to block out the world, thankfully.

He tried an online class once, he hated it and failed. He got very frustrated with the EBooks and online interface. Stimtoys don't work for him.

He also tells me how he wishes he knew how to daydream, he tells me he can't focus anymore.

I absolutely hated my online classes too, so I can't blame him there. :p

Are there any puzzles or games that would make for a good distraction? Sudoku, crosswords, word search, logic puzzles, or anything like that?

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
I absolutely hated my online classes too, so I can't blame him there. :p

Are there any puzzles or games that would make for a good distraction? Sudoku, crosswords, word search, logic puzzles, or anything like that?
He used to do word searches and a few other puzzles like that, but he says he got bored of them. He wants to learn more than anything.