• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you guys handle art blocks?

T

thiivdan

Recently I feel like I've hit a giant wall when it comes to being creative. If I try and draw, or write, or do anything creative, I just immediately feel demotivated and anything I make I feel is absolutely terrible and I end up just deleting it. I'm not really sure how to handle this sort of outlook on my art, and I was wondering what you guys did when you felt stuck with your work. I feel like this is a good time to look towards improvements in things like my anatomy and maybe a change in style, but I have no idea how to even begin doing that.

Narri

Will fly you around for hugs and pats
These Three Videos By Jake Parker Explain A Bit.
This last one is more of a web seminar (it goes for just over an hour all about battling creative block)

I'm not great at words so I hope these videos help somewhat.

Juju-z

50% metal, 45% Feathers, 5% Owl
Doodle while playing music. Try short term projects that will only take 10-20 minutes max. Which actually does work with anatomy and pose study. Go outside, put in some earbuds, and try to quick doodle some people in motion, start simple with stick figures and slowly expand from there. Worry about how you will incorporate that into a style once you're up for a bigger project.

mimibast

STUDY STUDY STUDY. You've lost your creativity for just a bit, so don't waste time dotting on what you should draw and how you should approach it, pick up your materials and take a reference and study it, paint it the best you can the most realistically, and then keep doing it whether its gesture posing or lineart or shading, keep doing it until you think, man.. i wonder what would happen if I did this? or if I put this character here, or maybe even... hey you know who will look good in this pose. cuz that's how that works ( for me at least) .

Kopatropa

Drawing seriously since 2013
Art block hit you? Then just don't draw until your favorite artists post something you like. - Me. It hurts to draw when your brain is fried.

I despise studying; I want to draw what I want, not what people think will make me better. People need to not force their beliefs...

Whimsycal

The whimsical clown
I take a breather. Relax do something else for a day, something that always makes me happy and relaxed and gets me inspired. It can either be studying or going bowling for me.

You need to find what works for you.

Deathless

ĎĴĔVĔĹĔŃ
I listen to music that motivates me to draw. Some music makes me feel certain moods (angry, excited, motivated, etc) and that would make me want to draw art that matches with my mood.

idkthough120

cutie but shy dragon or smth
Well...... i kinda do somethin' else like listen to music, or keep drawing....?

susu2

I can recommend several things that have worked for me.

#1: Tap into your libido: Whenever your feeling horny, use that sexual fuel to create erotic art. In the past I'd go weeks to months without drawing anything, typically because my confidence as an artist can wane. But that desire for sexual gratification is always there, and it can be a valuable energy source for creation. You don't even need to post it online, unleash your sexual energies on the page and see what you can create.

#2: Relaxed practice: Have artists you look up to? Relaxed practice is simply drawing the things that you enjoy or look up to. It could be copying the style of a certain anime so that you make it your own. Personally I created folders on my laptop for all of my favorite artists and visual inspirations. I also own a book of hundreds of rough sketches from Yoh Yoshinari (Studio Trigger) that I bought from an anime merch site. Have disposable money to blow? Treat yourself to purchasing an art book on your favorite artists or creative projects.

I'm an experienced artist but new to furry fandom so I'm not familiar with drawing furries or animals. This has provided me a creative challenge that allows me to accomplish both improving my human anatomy as well as drawing animals which I'm quite enjoying so far.

RearmedDreamer

Perpetual Dreamer
Music to stimulate the imagination. Fan and gift art to give yourself an established subject to draw leaving you less to think about in terms of what to create. Recreate a scene or situation with your own twist (like from a movie, show, or real life). Write from what you know.

inkycoils

You might want to try reading the book, "Impro" by Keith Johnstone. He talks about how people get caught up thinking about how their art reflects on them, which very often inhibits creativity. And then he provides a variety of exercises one can do to get back one's creativity. It's a pretty short book, too. I read it in an afternoon.

Two of my students said they couldn't draw, and I asked, 'Why?' One said her teacher had been sarcastic because she painted a blue snowman (every child's painting was pinned up on the walls except hers). The other girl had drawn trees up the side of her paintings (like Paul Klee), and the teacher drew a 'correct' tree on top of hers. She remembered thinking 'I'll never draw for you again!' (One reason given for filling in the windows of the local schools here is that it'll make the children more attentive!)

Most children can operate in a creative way until they're eleven or twelve, when suddenly they lose their spontaneity, and produce imitations of 'adult art'. When other races come in contact with our culture something similar happens. The great Nigerian sculptor Bamboya was set up as a principal of an art school by some philanthropic Americans in the 1920s. Not only did he fail to hand on his talents, but his own inspiration failed him. He and his students could still carve coffee tables for the whites, but they weren't inspired anymore.

So-called 'primitive painters' in our own culture sometimes go to art school to improve themselves - and lose their talent. A critic told me of a film school where each new student made a short film unaided. These, he said, were always interesting, although technically crude. At the end of the course they made a longer, technically more proficient film, which hardly anyone wanted to see.

You have to be a very stubborn person to remain an artist in this culture. It's easy to play the role of 'artist', but actually to create something means going against one's education."