• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you keep it together?

LizardKing05

Life is so tiresome
How do you stay calm when you're stressed out?

I usually zone out and stare at trees outside my window. Yet I'm curious to know what others do to deal with life (especially during these troubling times).

Btw this is not my window, just an image from google.

window-tree.jpg

Lucidic

Distancing myself from others and taking hours out of the day to draw, read, or play games is enough for me. Simply just getting lost in your own little world (or the world of another source); blissfully ignorant things like that.

I wish I had a pretty scenery to look at, though.

Toasty9399

Above Earth
I try to solve whatever is stressing me out. If it's homework, I do the homework. However if it isn't that simple, try doing something productive: cleaning the house, doing your bed, draw, do a hobby ect ect. I will say its been proven that a clean environment is known to calm people, so if your room is super messy, you should clean it.

Deathless

ĎĴĔVĔĹĔŃ
I seem to always be under some kind of stress, and especially with the quarantine, I've been a lot more depressed and unmotivated to do anything. There are a few things I do to cope with this though, which is playing the bass, drawing, playing Guitar Hero, listening to & singing music, and talking to friends that make me feel happy! Maybe sometimes if I'm in the mood and I need to get out of the house, give my eyes a break from the screen, I walk to Dunkin Donuts and get some fresh air, obviously and of course distancing myself from the others.

Stressful situations are not easy for many people, but I really wish everyone to hang in there and just the best!

Glossolalia

just happy to be here
This is embarrassingly elaborate, but I made myself a little booklet with tools to help me when I'm feeling anxious or down. It has a list of little things to do to help lift my mood or distract me, instructions for simple meditations, cognitive behavioral worksheets, and a list of reassuring true statements to keep in mind. It can be hard to remember these kinds of things when I'm struggling, so it's nice and simple to just pause and pick up the booklet.

Night.Claw

People say jump into the most extreme conclusion, and immidiately stuff yourself with medication that helps or professional help. That's not always the needed solution.

I would say, if you zone out, you need a hobby that lets you think while you do it.
For that, drawing, playing some games and such can help. Mostly things that doesn't need much concentration.

If you want to get your mind occupied, read stories. There is a lot of good books online. Or even write your own stories.
Cook. That satisfaction, when the food you make came out good can make you happy for a while.
Do chores. Things like cleaning, or just organize things. Making things comfortable around and more welcome for your taste can increase your mood quiet a bit.
Talk to people. Share your ideas, ask for theirs. Start a debate over something you find interesting. Not an argument, just a simple discussion.

Little things like that can help a lot. You don't need therapy or strong antidepressants immidiately. Try to fix the issue yourself first. It might be a long process, but it works.

D

Domjoe414

i get some excersise and get away from screens for a bit, or listen to/play some music

quoting_mungo

Depends a lot on what sort of “stressed out” I’m experiencing. In some cases, I might benefit from finding boyfriend for a cuddle or a walk outside. In some cases, playing a moderately to highly captivating game might be a good distraction to let the emotions pass. In other cases, I might be better served solving sudoku or similar logic puzzles, which let me zone out and concentrate on something with no emotional component whatsoever. I use that one a lot when I need to take a step away from a situation that’s upset me.

Sometimes, I just need to take my damn benzos. XD But that’s because I have an anxiety disorder and now and again it’s the only thing that will stop my brain chewing on itself. (This might happen a few times a month, at most; I go through that prescription very slowly.)

Little things like that can help a lot. You don't need therapy or strong antidepressants immidiately. Try to fix the issue yourself first. It might be a long process, but it works.
I would never recommend against therapy, tbh. Everyone would benefit from it, not just people who struggle with mental illness. Therapists don’t solve your problems; they give you tools to cope with them better.

Like, obviously going to a therapist once or a couple of times a month to unpack the difficulties you’ve encountered in that time might not be financially viable, depending on your situation and what is covered by your health insurance, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be beneficial. It certainly isn’t a drastic, last-resort solution.

Night.Claw

Depends a lot on what sort of “stressed out” I’m experiencing. In some cases, I might benefit from finding boyfriend for a cuddle or a walk outside. In some cases, playing a moderately to highly captivating game might be a good distraction to let the emotions pass. In other cases, I might be better served solving sudoku or similar logic puzzles, which let me zone out and concentrate on something with no emotional component whatsoever. I use that one a lot when I need to take a step away from a situation that’s upset me.

Sometimes, I just need to take my damn benzos. XD But that’s because I have an anxiety disorder and now and again it’s the only thing that will stop my brain chewing on itself. (This might happen a few times a month, at most; I go through that prescription very slowly.)

I would never recommend against therapy, tbh. Everyone would benefit from it, not just people who struggle with mental illness. Therapists don’t solve your problems; they give you tools to cope with them better.

Like, obviously going to a therapist once or a couple of times a month to unpack the difficulties you’ve encountered in that time might not be financially viable, depending on your situation and what is covered by your health insurance, but that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be beneficial. It certainly isn’t a drastic, last-resort solution.
I didn't recommended against it, i said you don't need to jump into it immidiately. There are things that you can try to change yourself.
But everyone to their own, i suppose.

MaetheDragon

Queen of Laziness
Well, after something stressful happens, I just dive deep into my hobbies.

Reading, writing, watching my favorite shows, etc. are all ways I deal with my stress. I'm still a pretty skittish person in general, but that's what I do to keep myself contained, for the most part.

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
How do you stay calm when you're stressed out?

I usually zone out and stare at trees outside my window. Yet I'm curious to know what others do to deal with life (especially during these troubling times).

Btw this is not my window, just an image from google.

window-tree.jpg
Ooo I was gonna say you live in Paradise.
This landscape is so pretty, living somewhere like this is pretty much my only ambition in life

M

MetalWolfBruh

Medicines and alcohol work the best, until I suddenly have that epiphany moment where my mood suddenly lifts and I feel weirdly okay for a few moments or hours on select days.

dragon-in-sight

mane diva
Since I have a quite stressful life, I use a combination of different things to keep going

1. I do regular exercise because, because doing something physical helps me distrect my mind from rumination
2. I do fasting 4 out of 7 days per week. This has a tranquilizing effect next to other health benefits.
3. I meditate 2 times a day, in the morning and evening to keep focused.
4. I take Ashwaganda and Maca root extract to reduce cortisol levels.

Inanis

I often distract myself laying comfortably in bed listening to old Video Games Soundtracks. (Aquatic Ambience, Stickbrush Symphony, Forest Interlude...)
It reminds me when I was a kid, not worrying much about the future and how it is only a projection of little things you know at a time. Frivolous, so to speak.
And by then, I just allow myself to rest.
The currents do all else because I'll disappear eventually.

Garshasp

I stare out my window at trees. I'm glad that we have spring at a time like this - green soothes me. Otherwise I yell at squirrels to get out of my garden like an old man yelling at kids to get of my lawn! Counter-productive stress control!