• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you like your steak?

How do you like your steak cooked?

• Total voters

Zenia

Well vegans stay away from meat just because they love animals so much.
I love animals! They are delicious!

My last roommate went from being an omnivore one day, to a vegan (except for honey) the next. She was ok at first but became more and more 'holier than thou' over time.

Shiroka

Love is the message
inb4 "STILL BLEEDIN CUZ IM RELLY A WOLF AND WOLFS DUN COOK THERE MEAT, RAWR!!1"... oh wait, I'm two pages late.

I like mine medium-well; mostly dark brown with just a bit of pink in the middle. It doesn't taste like charcoal and it doesn't taste like blood. With red, black and white pepper, it's just... perfect <3

Shiroka

Love is the message
Nothing like a spicy steak as I said before, but red pepper? I might try that.

There was a time when I used to put cayenne in everything, it's like tabasco in powder form! If you're not used to eat spicy though, go easy on it if you don't want to literally crap fire =P

Ley

I've always had it burnt whenever my dad cooks it.

Whenever I cook it, I use cherry and hickory wood, and before that I let the steak marinate in lemen juice and a light brush of honied A1 Sauce for about a day or so.

I grilled some string beans and corn on the cob over the fire pit as well (burning myself.. as per usual x_X) and then had mashed 'taters afterwards.

The rare things I cook always involve grilling or baking <3

Lobar

The hell am I reading, here?
Guide to Proper Steak Preparation

First, the Golden Rule: Heat cooks the outside, time cooks the inside.

Think of your steak in layers - you have the exterior, where the crust forms, then envision beneath that, is an interior perimeter, which surrounds the center. The center is the hardest to cook, because it is effectively insulated by the perimeter, which in turn is also not getting direct exposure to heat in the first place. If the exterior is getting heat full blast, the perimeter's getting maybe half that, and the center gets a fourth (don't quote me on exact numbers, I'm just illustrating a principle). Thus, resist all attempts to turn the heat up and rush a steak, because it will only burn your crust and dry out your perimeter, to maybe save a minute on cooking the center.

Before you begin

Before you even throw the steaks on the grill, or in a pan, just let the things sit out on the counter for about half an hour to an hour, depending on thickness. Why? Because if you just pulled it from the fridge, the meat is almost ice cold, and it's cold throughout. Keeping the Golden Rule in mind, you'll already have a finished crust by the time the center just starts to get warm. Therefore, let them sit and come to room temp, getting as much heat into the center as possible before you even start. That way, when you do cook them, they'll hopefully end up coming out more like the one on the right:

(They won't actually come out as perfect as the one on the right, as that one was cooked sous-vide, a much more complicated process requiring special equipment. But hopefully they're closer to it than the one on the left.)

While they're just sitting there, you may want to do an optional salt absorption. After pulling the steaks out of the fridge, coat both sides with kosher salt. While the steaks sit, the salt will start to pull water (and just water, not flavor) out of the meat, concentrating the flavors. This water will dissolve some of the salt, and a little of this dissolved salt will be pulled back into the meat, where it will start to denature the proteins somewhat. Between this and the removal of excess water, you have sort of a faux-aging effect, plus now you also have a salted steak interior, something you normally can't really do. These things are all good for flavor. Once you're ready to cook, rinse the excess salt off the steaks and pat them dry with paper towels.

Begin!

Our Golden Rule gives two goals, accomplished different ways: cooking the outside with heat, and cooking the inside with time. Thus, we cook in two stages. The first stage is called searing, and it requires heat, and lots of it. My preferred method is a heavy cast-iron pan, because it's so massive that it acts as a heat battery - it takes tons of energy to bring all that mass up to temperature, which it can release into the surface of my steak in very short order. From the moment you pull the steaks out above, stick the pan in the oven and preheat to 500F. When it's time to cook, carefully pull it out with an oven mitt that's up to the job, put it on a burner going full-blast, and turn down the oven (see stage two). If you insist on cooking on a grill instead, put one side on high direct heat.

Pat the steaks dry with paper towels (even if you didn't do a salt rub). Throw them in the pan/on the grill over direct heat, and let sit for about a minute. They will initially stick to the pan/grill, but after a minute or so they should release. Don't force it. The surface should form a brown (not black!) crust, this is called the Maillard Reaction (unless you're a pedant wanting to argue if it's true Maillard or not, don't be that guy) and it promotes great flavor. Once you've got it all over the surface (just a minute or two), flip them over and do it to the other side. Use tongs for this, never pierce the steaks while they're cooking. If your steaks are thickly cut, you may also want to hold it up and sear the sides as well. Once the sear is done, it's time for stage two.

Stage two is finishing, and it's done with lower heat (relatively, it's still pretty high). The stored heat mass of the cast iron pan should be pretty much used up now. Just lay the steaks evenly in the pan and put them in the oven. How hot the oven should be and for how long depends on two things: how thick your steaks are, and how done you want them to be. Determining the exact temp and length of time is thus an inexact science that you will develop a sense for with experience. You will likely want your heat in the 400s (450ish for rare), and they shouldn't be in there any longer than a few minutes. Counter-intuitively, the thicker your steaks are, or the more done you want them, the lower the heat should be. This is because time is the primary factor here, and the more time you need, the lower the heat should be to keep the exterior from overcooking, per the Golden Rule. If you're cooking on a grill, you don't really have these options to begin with, just use the indirect heat on the cold side of the grill.

It's a good idea to learn to sense doneness with the poke test - the more done a steak is, the firmer it feels when poked with your fingertip. Some cooks use the flesh in their palm over their thumb's metacarpal as a reference. Touching the thumb tip to pinky finger tip, this should feel well done (though every hand is different), while at thumb tip to index finger tip, it feels rare.

Almost done!

Okay, the steaks are done, and you've pulled them out of the oven/off the grill. Don't cut into them yet! They need to rest. Set them in a warm place to sit for half the total amount of time they spent cooking (not counting the initial coming to room temp). You may tent some aluminum foil over them to help retain heat. This allows the muscle fibers to relax again, and the juices pulled to the surface to reabsorb. If you cut into it now without resting, the juices will all leak out onto the plate, and the steak will taste dry and tough. Once it's rested, you can season them to taste (just salt and pepper please, or fresh herbs, "steak seasoning" and bottled sauces are an abomination), and eat!

Now, go make steaks!

Last edited:

Wreth

GERTY
I hear that most people just add so damn many flavourings just to make it taste like meat. I don't even understand why tofu-eating vegetarians want to taste meat, anyway.

Er, because someone might like the taste of meat, but not the idea of eating an animal.

They have something that tastes like it but isn't it.

Lobar

As far as how done I like them, it depends on the cut. My favorite is a medium-rare ribeye, followed by blue rare tenderloin (skip finishing entirely).

Well done steaks are, in fact, ruined. Steak cuts are chosen primarily for tenderness, and cooking them well-done nullifies that entirely, leaving you with an expensive piece of sub-par beef. If you still want beef well-done, consider braising a brisket or some short ribs instead.

Trance

Likes blueberries?
I've had filet mignon cooked blue and that was... interesting.
Not bad, but raw enough that it tasted different from the usual steak.

I go for rare most the time.

RayO_ElGatubelo

My gif animation doesn't work
Medium rare, YAY!

This is cool because I'm going to Longhorn Steakhouse tomorrow...

Oddly, I have never seen it mentioned on Eat This, Not That... time to see what's the most caloric dish on the menu and order that!

I'll probably just order a huge ribeye anyway.

Ratte

Medium rare, grilled on a charcoal grill, a little bit of Lawry's seasoning salt and butter. Top sirloin is my favorite cut so far. Steak sauce is for morons.

ghilliefox

SUPER DUPER PARATROOPER!
medium well with A1 and a baked potato and a cob of corn.my kind of meal. also youre basic stereotype Texas meal.

RayO_ElGatubelo

My gif animation doesn't work
medium well with A1 and a baked potato and a cob of corn.my kind of meal. also youre basic stereotype Texas meal.

That was about the only thing Rob Reiner got right in North.

Lobar

medium well is gross too

Dizro

Ich bin deine größte Angst.
Throw it on the grill 15 seconds each side, mines done.

FoxPhantom

I rather have it well done.

FireFeathers

Mr. Red Flag
Medium Rare, Parsley garlic salt and a bit of butter on top. My lower intestines say "no no" but my mouthgasms say "yes yes!"

damn that's tasty.