• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you make online friends?

Fishie-Lips

It something I have trouble doing. Supposedly you can meet people in forums, but I never know what to do once I'm staring at the forum directory.
Any advice or stories about successful online friendships? I'd appreciate any insight anyone may have on this...

Mei

Aderpable Fluffbutt
Send me a request ;) I've been members of forums in the past, and generally it just means being an active member (not spamming). Be nice to people, but be yourself! You will meet people with common interests and start talking more and more. Importantly, just have fun!

Ieono

Uberaffe
Post up a shirtless pic highlighting your tight bod, and then you'll have nonstop private messages from people "trying to be your friend".

Astus

Well Known Foxxo
Just be yourself and communicate with others really, on Xbox I would really just talk to people on snd just like "yo what's up guys?" And just start conversation like that. I usually had to empty my friends list by the end of every three months to about forty people but I made some good online friends along the way... and met some very..... ummm interesting..... people

Pinky

AKA Allie or Aouzy
Having very similar (almost specific) interests really helps. I'm still friends with some people I met in 2009. It sounds weird coming from a shy person, but don't be shy and be talkative and interesting.

Find something that people are interested in e.g just by liking tf2 and talking about it on the forums ,my steam friends list has swelled in numbers.

But yeah try not to be any as well I kinda fail in that regard , in my eyes I do atleast.

N

Nyro46

I don't even know. It just sort of... happens over time.

Though I have recently lost my best online friend. She... changed. And replaced me with someone else ._.

Bidoyinn

Talk to people! If you click, you click, and there you go! Just, uh, make sure your first impressions isn't that of a spammer, because people remember that.
I'm not sure how to go about making friends in this forum specifically, but you probably won't get there if you don't post as much (maybe).

Fishie-Lips

First of all, Thank you all for the advice. I'll put the common advice theme into immediate use and start doing more.
I am kind of shy and hesitant and I'll make an effort to get past that.

PM'd

I'll keep my selfies to myself thank you. I am seeking friends, no emphasis on the word, not stalkers.

I don't have a problem speaking to people to make friends, I just get a little lost in forums online. There always seems to be threads I can't relate to, or people who are talking in a thread without listening/communicating with anyone else.

I am trying Senpai!

I relate to this. I will work on it.

I've been trying. My interest is in art, but I never seem to have luck in those forums. Whatever forum it is.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been abandoned by several people I loved, though they were irl friends (It doesn't change the amount of hurt, i know. You can't measure emotion in actions or experiences).

I don't think I come off as a spammer? A lot is lost in tone and inflection with communication, so I try to be careful of wording.
You have other forums you've had luck making friends in? Would you mind sharing where?

I'm working on it. Thanks

Half-Note

My oh my! Have we decided to seek out e-friends? Why, how delightful! Well then, follow me, and I shall hold your hand as I guide you through the world of e-friendship.

So! You're lonely, and you want to make some friends online because you can't find anyone in real life. We've all been there. But that's something that YOU no longer have to worry about, because you have me to help you out. :D

First of all. Find the person you would like to befriend. You'll want to avoid Caucasian (because you can't say white anymore, that's racist. Instead of using a word that directly describes someone's colour, you have to use a word that's "racially sensitive", which ironically ends up sounding more racist than the initial word) Americans, because of their 1/3 chance of being morbidly obese. Yes, there are still 2/3 Americans that are not obese, but overweight ones aren't accounted for, so there's still a pretty big (pun somewhat intended) chance that letting them come close enough to sit on you will have lethal effects. However, should you be at the point where you have no standard anymore, you can weigh (pun intended, again) loneliness against the risk of getting squished.

So, say Sylox (You don't mind that I use you as an example, do you? You do? Well screw you, because I shouldn't have to ask for permission to do so anyway!) is our target. You want to become friends with him. So... First step would be... Any guesses? RIGHT! To message him. So you send him a message. Well, what should it say, you dont ask? Well, that's up to you, but you want to convince them that you're a sane person (even if the opposite might apply). So you give them a sane opening. "Oh hey dude, I just checked out your profile and you seem like an okay guy. How are you doing?". Then you get a response, which'll be equally boring to yours, then you take (or feign) interest in their hobbies. Sylox is a writer, so pretend to, or actually care about that interest. Ask him about it. "I see you're into writing. Have you been making any stories recently?". Then Sylox here will most likely say that he has, given that it IS an interest of his. Then you can ask to see it, which he'll most likely refuse to do, then you push again, saying you're really curious about the things he writes about (even if you're not). He will then most likely send you a paragraph of his story.

So, what next? Well, you read over it, then you tell him that you like it, and that it's good. You ALWAYS Have to say that it's good. If you say that it's bad, you might as well consider the friendship as likely to develop as my sanity. Never critique an artist unless they directly ask for critique. We all know we have to massage their egos to make them feel good about their failures. Pick out the part that you tolerate the most, and tell him how much you loved when this or that happened.

Just keep throwing questions at him and answering questions he might have, and you're good. :D

Last edited:

Kazolas

Or you could just bark at people when they squeak a dog toy over teamspeak. *cough half-note cough*

Half-Note

Or you could just bark at people when they squeak a dog toy over teamspeak. *cough half-note cough*
I refuse to interact with you... PEOPLE... After what you did. How was I supposed to know that Chuchi had those things going for her if no one told me? >.>

Mikazuki Marazhu

I hate you all
First of all, Thank you all for the advice. I'll put the common advice theme into immediate use and start doing more.
I am kind of shy and hesitant and I'll make an effort to get past that.

PM'd

I'll keep my selfies to myself thank you. I am seeking friends, no emphasis on the word, not stalkers.

I don't have a problem speaking to people to make friends, I just get a little lost in forums online. There always seems to be threads I can't relate to, or people who are talking in a thread without listening/communicating with anyone else.

I am trying Senpai!

I relate to this. I will work on it.

I've been trying. My interest is in art, but I never seem to have luck in those forums. Whatever forum it is.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've been abandoned by several people I loved, though they were irl friends (It doesn't change the amount of hurt, i know. You can't measure emotion in actions or experiences).

I don't think I come off as a spammer? A lot is lost in tone and inflection with communication, so I try to be careful of wording.
You have other forums you've had luck making friends in? Would you mind sharing where?

I'm working on it. Thanks

Ladies and gentleman, I present you... Professional multi-quoter.I commend thee

J

Jaden Darchon

I'm in a similar boat as OP in regard to making new frenz, but have a few pretty badass friends online & IRL. Better to keep a tight circle of awesome than a hoola hoop of "facebook level" friends, but that's just me. I know it's not helpful at ALL but yeah it does "just happen". The golden rule is to be yourself and just be "whatever" if someone doesn't click with you - it's life, people are different and have different personality types; naturally not everyone's going to be holding hands and singing kumbayah despite what Reading Rainbow may have implied.

My oh my! Have we decided to seek out e-friends? Why, how delightful! Well then, follow me, and I shall hold your hand as I guide you through the world of e-friendship. <snip>
^^^ Okay, this is seriously one of the most hilariously informative texts to grace the internet to date. Respect! ... and, uh... a smidgen of fear ^o_O^

Have a memorable avatar. Then people will start recognizing your posts, and figure out what kind of person you are by what you post.

Fishie-Lips

But Senpai, that sounds like lying...!
I'M TERRABAD AT LYING!

Also I'm an artist, LOL. If you tell me what your really think of my art does that mean you don't want to be friends? *poke poke*

I don't do the video gaming internets. Why do all assume I can talk in the gamerings? Can I even do that with out a game system?

*takes a theatrical bow* Thank you!

I agree completely. My question is very specific to making friends in forums. I keep wandering into forums and coming out dissappoited in the internet's ability to bring folks together.

*covers nipples* I don't know about the impressions I've been making...

Half-Note

But Senpai, that sounds like lying...!
I'M TERRABAD AT LYING!

Also I'm an artist, LOL. If you tell me what your really think of my art does that mean you don't want to be friends? *poke poke*
Relax! You see, online, in text messages, you have the upper hand, because they can't see your body language. :D Which makes lying so much easier. :3

I'm the greatest friend material there ever was, by the way. Have no doubt about that.

Last edited:

Morbidity

The Morbid
Really the easiest way to get a friend is help somebody. Stalk the forums for your chance to make a post and do it.
Everyone appriciates help. Maybe on the first time they'll befriend you. If not, eventually they will. Thing is, you aren't supposed to look for specific friends. Friends come to you, you only have to open the way for them. Some will leave, but some will stay because they like the company.

Gronix

Catless Cat Lady
When I first came here, I was in the some boat, but it's not as hard as it seems to be
Even tough I lost contact with a lot of people over all my school crap, I still have some of the best people I know known from this site

It's kinda been explained already, find a person you like, and just message them, talk to them, I always asked for an external chatting thing like skype in my 2nd, 3rd messages because I'm much more comfortable with that.

Other than that, just be yourself, and you'll find friends eventually :p

Fishie-Lips

I see.... ,,* v *,,
Is that an invitation to add you as a friend in the forum...?!
,,,* A *,,,

That makes a lot of sense.

I hope senpai will notice me.
Which Senpai do you have your eye on?

I hope senpai will notice me.
You're hard NOT to notice XD
I saw Senpai first! *spring jumps into Senpai's fluff and clings like a Hayao Miyazaki film*
,,@ M @,,

This is one of the best forums I've found for just talking to people. I have a good feeling about this forum.

Ratical

Watch a lot of people on the main site and keep up a regular rapport with 'em. Since lots of people follow the "watch me, I'll watch you" system, you'll have a more people listening in when you make journals or post art. It's like your own little community.

So, say Sylox (You don't mind that I use you as an example, do you? You do? Well screw you, because I shouldn't have to ask for permission to do so anyway!) is our target.

*Looks at post, looks at sig*

Did you really just pick Sylox randomly?