• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How do you sew fabric onto digigrate legs/padded body parts?

ExperiMUNt

The Creationist of Monsters
I am an experienced seamstress, but, I am actually going to be creating my first costume. However, I am curious to know as to how one would sew fabric onto padded legs? Before I start my project off I want to have a solid understanding of how to properly create the suit, then getting down to business. Do you just make a cover over them like you would with a pillow? Or do you glue them on somehow?

Help would be wonderful!

Thank you!

Misomie

Lazy Artist
It depends on wha style you are going for. You start by making that pattern for the digilegs. For the padding, you can add velcro, straps, or glue it onto under armor if you're working with foam, or you can sew a pillowcase to the fur backing or make removeable (velcro or straps) pillow cases if using polyfil. The fur itself is not sewn directly on to the padding though. Also, you don't really want to glue the padding onto the fur directly as it could likely cause early wear-and-tear.

ExperiMUNt

you can sew a pillowcase to the fur backing or make removeable

So the digi-padded legs and fabric are completely separate from each other then? I guess it does make sense, must make washing so much easier too. I'm actually going to be contrasting a Velociraptor suit, so the fabric will be fleece (unless I find something that is similar to scales so that way I can air-brush it). Machine washing will be so much easier too, as I heard fur melts in the washers D,:

Thank you a bunch for the help, it's so appreciated you have no idea.

ExperiMUNt

I watched a few of them, but it seems like most of them have the padding glued or sewed with the fabric. It doesn't make too much sense, unless it's the pattern the maker made to give it that illusion?

LegitWaterfall

Forever done
I just sprayed the padding down with spray-adhesive and stuck large pieces of fabric on, then trimmed them down when the glue set and dried.

ExperiMUNt

Really? That's interesting to hear.. Thank you for your input, I'll keep that in mind.

As for leaving the foam padding separate, do I need to make the legs more baggier for them to slide in easier, or more tight fitting?

Hutch

Keep Smiling :)
Really? That's interesting to hear.. Thank you for your input, I'll keep that in mind.

As for leaving the foam padding separate, do I need to make the legs more baggier for them to slide in easier, or more tight fitting?

after you have the padding "pants" made you would want to put them on the DTD, then wrap the whole thing with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and then make a whole other DTD on top of the original plus the padding. That will be the pattern for the fur. Just draw on whatever markings you want and make sure to add your arrows for fur direction and all that jazz. then cut off just the new layer of the tape (the one above the plastic wrap or aluminum foil).
Also make sure to add in any seam allowances for sewing :)

Misomie

Lazy Artist
I watched a few of them, but it seems like most of them have the padding glued or sewed with the fabric. It doesn't make too much sense, unless it's the pattern the maker made to give it that illusion?

They are most likely velcroed or there is a pocket. Glueing padding directly to the fur is not the best way to go. It works fine for areas like the head, but the body while go under a lot of stress from movement which can cause the foam and fur to tear at one another. Velcro, straps or sewn-in-pockets don't cause this strain to the fur. I'll try to find some examples.

ExperiMUNt

Thank you so much for the help guys, it is SUPER appreciated. Right now I just finished off the concept work, and I should start working on it sometime next week.

Do you think this is an alright concept for the digigrade legs? Or should there be adjustments?