• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How does one ask this politely?

Is there any polite way to gently prod an artist whom you made a request off months ago/ won a kiriban from months ago, that you know is pissing around not doing anything important just posting doodles and sketches. Or is it best just to leave it be? I have a few artists on my watch list were i am in such situations.... ,6.=.6, any suggestions or should i just sit and twiddle my thumbs for a wile longer?

Stockton

As someone with a long memory forced to exist around people with short ones, I would leave it be. It's not worth trying to make them remember (assuming they don't). That's just my experience, though.

Tevildo

As someone who's often been in this situation, I've found it very counterproductive to send any sort of reminder until at least six months have elapsed since payment. (And if no actual money has changed hands, if it's just a request/kiriban, don't bother at all, the artist is _not_ going to do it.)

At the six month mark, I think it's OK to ask if there's been any progress.

i would try to reminde them by hints

Grimfang

Ya.. I had someone doing a tattoo for me once... they stopped working on it, and totally forgot about it. I mentioned it a couple times, but they just didn't feel like getting to it.

So, from my experience, I'd say leave it be, unfortunately... if they aren't interested in doing it, they'll either just not do it, or do a quick job.

SlushPuppy

A little bit daft.
It depends on the artist. Some artists are quick to forget they offered... some forget on purpose.

If they didn't offer, and it wasn't paid for, it's probably best to let it drop. As it was a request, not a commission. The only thing pressing the issue will do more than likely (if they're from the latter bunch) is to strain relations. It'll put them on your grudge list, and you on their grudge list.

If you think they honestly totally, absolutely NO doubt in your mind, forgot, and it was something they OFFERED to do without prompting, give a polite question. "hey, remember when you said?" and no more :)

As a typical rule I follow (as taught to me by professors) :
Never give free art to people, give gifts when YOU feel inclined. Even with family- charge for it if they want it. Unless you feel like making it their christmas present.

It strains a lot of relationships when an artist halves prices, or does free requests for people and not for others. As you're finding out!!

Tremaine

Arteeeste
It's always best to start things off with a positive note. Artists--and most people, really--tend to really, really enjoy praise, so give genuine compliments to them or one of their latest pieces.

Even if you knew that they've been slacking off, you can still say things you know that are genuinely true in your heart. You could, for instance, say quite honestly, "Hey, I appreciate that you run that kiriban contest awhile ago! I really enjoy your artwork and thought it was really cool that I got it! I was just wondering how my drawing was coming along."

By being sincere with the artist in question, and starting with a positive approach the question "how is my art coming along?" may seem less like you're nagging and asking for selfish reasons but more that you simply enjoy the artist's work.

One common complain I hear from many fellow artists is that while constructive criticism is cool and all, I don't ever hear anyone go, "Gah!! What the heck is it with people saying all these nice things about me and my stuff???"

If it's been awhile, and each follow-up is met with silence, or it's clear the artist just doesn't care, it's all right to just give up after awhile.

TheGru

I have some request I've been waiting for two months now, I think you should at least be inclined to ask if they are going to do it. (For no other reason then to know.)

I'd say just ask if the artist wants to do it, if the artist says that he/she hasn't had any inspiration then that is all the hint you need to drop it and move on.

I think prize arts should take precedence, but not everyone can hold to their word.

Tremaine and Slushpuppy gave good ideas on how to ask, so I'd say just take their advice, (might try it myself.)

If I were you I'd be really blunt and hostile. Don't pussyfoot around, just unleash a swarm of bloodthirsty flying reptiles at him.

peterobear.jpg

stoelbank

Pterodactyl Handler said:
If I were you I'd be really blunt and hostile. Don't pussyfoot around, just unleash a swarm of bloodthirsty flying reptiles at him.

peterobear.jpg

I don't get this guy..

I think it's impolite to prod for free art. Kiribans and requests are just that: Free art offered out of the kindness of the artist's heart.

Sure, it'd be *nice* if they kept their word, but it's not really a business transaction if no money or goods are bartered, exchanged or given. And if they never gave a time limit for the art...then they're not held to any standard there.

I'd just forget about it, if I were you. If it shows up...great! If not...you didn't lose anything at all.

stoelbank

if you paid for it, give them hell. if not, to bad.. the only thing you can do is hope in situations like this.. its just like XianJaguar said

tyciol

I'd be indirect, like make comments on the sketches about what's good, and how they are inspiring as to where they could lead if combined or expanded.

there's always the ever so subtle 'haha joking but not really method'

something along the lines of:

"so.....how 'bout that drawing you owe me. *coughcough*nudgenudge*winkwink*"

Necrosis

Meh, I've had to wait about two months for a picture for me before. I just eventually forgot about it but it was a nice surprise when I finally got it. You can always just wait a little and then ask them how the progress on it is going. Don't do it too often though, otherwise you'll just piss them off =

SlushPuppy

A little bit daft.
I donno about other artists, but beating around the bush would piss me off. As well as being nagged for something that was asked for and I said "if I have time"... which is in no way a promise to ever make the picture. Perhaps I'm a little disenchanted with people asking for pictures since a cousin of mine is constantly asking for stuff. =___= and I have to tell her "if I have time" which is a polite way of saying "go away."

Eevee

Banned
Banned
XianJaguar said:
Sure, it'd be *nice* if they kept their word, but it's not really a business transaction if no money or goods are bartered, exchanged or given. And if they never gave a time limit for the art...then they're not held to any standard there.
I was under the impression that "honesty" and "doing what you said you would do" were standards. Making excuses to wriggle out of it, or claiming that one's word only counts if money is involved, is despicable.

XianJaguar said:
I'd just forget about it, if I were you. If it shows up...great! If not...you didn't lose anything at all.
Just respect for the artist.