• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How does one date in the fandom?

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Like, I'd love to date in the fandom, but how does one go about doing that? Everyone seems to have a BF or GF but me? What am I doing wrong?

KittenAdmin

Sup nerds
Like, I'd love to date in the fandom, but how does one go about doing that? Everyone seems to have a BF or GF but me? What am I doing wrong?

1. You need to talk to furries to get to know them. You will find many crazies and a few decent folks. You gotta actively weed out the crazies.
2. Keep your physical standards realistic. If you're a 5, seek 4-6's. Not 8's.
3. Be prepared for long distance bullshittery. LDRs are awful, but due to the nature of the fandom it's probably what you're going to be doing.

quoting_mungo

Heh. My first reaction on reading this thread was to send a Telegram message to my loves "the three of us need to go on a date; I've hardly ever been on one". (Seriously, the closest I've ever been was probably going to see a movie with my husband and getting a smoothie or something after.)

I think part of how to approach dating, in or out of fandom, is going to depend on how you personally see/approach relationships. I hear some people are capable of pursuing maybe-relationships with virtual strangers (dating sites, blind dates, etc), but I've never really seen the appeal of that approach, personally - I find my romantic interests within my friend pool. If you have any... "specialty interests", let's say, that you know might become dealbreakers to a potential partner, searching for one who shares, is willing to indulge, or at least tolerates said interest might also be important.

Getting to know people in general can only really improve your chances, though, regardless of whether you're the kind of person who starts dating friends or the kind who starts befriending dates. If you're not particularly interested in LDRs, start by looking into what furs and activities might be in your area, such as furmeets, communities for furs in your town/state/country (a lot of states have group accounts on mainsite, check the group listing thread in Site Discussion, and some might also have independent forums or similar), or listings on furry dating/personals sites like Pounced (yeah, I'm behind the times, I know there are newer ones than Pounced by far but can never remember their names).

And, I mean, also keep in mind the stuff that goes for all relationships. Be willing to give and take, and to make some compromises, but make sure you communicate and don't do anything you feel like you don't actually want to do. Resentment is a very quick, very ugly, way to kill a relationship.

Maximor_Bloodpanda

The True Anti-Conformist
You're not doing mating rituals? That's what you are doing wrong.

Either that or you are not meeting just about every furry stereotype imaginable.

Spatel

Ah, furry dating... A lot of furries enter the fandom trying to do this, and leave disappointed. Fact of the matter is every furry dating site sucks... for actual dating. If you use pounced skillfully you can find good friends with it though.

It's funny actually because if someone made a furry version of a dating/hookup app that combined the best aspects of tinder(you can post a lot of photos) and grindr(you can browse everyone at once) or something it would probably work really well, and I'm shocked it doesn't exist yet.

Anyway, best of luck. If you're into male-male stuff and you're patient you can probably find some dates without even lowering your standards. Just go to meetups and cons and talk to people.

If you're exclusively looking for women... I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

L

lockaboss

ive found being a straight male is the worst thing to be in this fandom if you trying to get a mate

Grruelty

Metail Head
It's funny actually because if someone made a furry version of a dating/hookup app that combined the best aspects of tinder(you can post a lot of photos) and grindr(you can browse everyone at once) or something it would probably work really well, and I'm shocked it doesn't exist yet.
Takes notes. I am a programmer ;)

Last edited:

Notkastar

Notka- What?
1. You need to talk to furries to get to know them. You will find many crazies and a few decent folks. You gotta actively weed out the crazies.
3. Be prepared for long distance bullshittery. LDRs are awful, but due to the nature of the fandom it's probably what you're going to be doing.

Oh I know that trip,
Talking to the 'Out There' ones that take the whole fandom too far for you
and being in a 'Let's call it what it is' shitty LD relationship with the decent ones.
I've personally dropped out of that cycle altogether to stop that sorta thing from happening again.

Sorry @Sylox,
I can't give you any solid advice on starting a relationship inside the fandom.
My advice is more intone with face to face things/scenarios and most furries you'll meet will be online.
All I can say is to try a dating site made for furries, keep your options open and to not be afraid to make the first move. Plus learning how to take rejections and know when you should reject others will be a huge plus =)

DravenDonovan

You can call me Oni~
Talk to people, be open, be honest and if something happens than it does, if not than it doesn't.

Rokuna

Let's see, I found my gf while playing video games, so try to find someone who has the same interest then you. Be bold and go for a relationship, also be nice and spend time with said person. @-@ hope that helps

he is so very right i have this person that i have been seeing and LDRs suck ass