• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How does one draw fur texture?

mangomango

Well-Known Chee
Hi! I've been pretty happy with how my art is coming along recently, but there is one part that I would like to improve, which is how to draw more detailed and correct-looking fur. Here's a few examples of what I currently do:

killer cheese.png
Saber new ref.png

doge with collar.png

If anyone could offer some tips on what patterns to draw or how to get it looking better, it would be much appreciated!

Lyrule

Warrior of the Sun
Hi there! I hope this helps!

Fur is rather flowy. It's soft and light. Often times the direction of the fur is dependent upon the direction of the animals body, similar to human hair lines! Wind direction, positioning of the character, is also a factor.

Art style also factors into play here. You can have it more cartoony, realistic, or somewhere in-between. Ultimately it comes down to experimentation. I recommend looking at references to help you decide what you think best fits your art style and go from there. It might not look right when you first experiment with it, but that's the beauty of it. Everyone starts somewhere. :)

mangomango

Well-Known Chee
Hi there! I hope this helps!

Fur is rather flowy. It's soft and light. Often times the direction of the fur is dependent upon the direction of the animals body, similar to human hair lines! Wind direction, positioning of the character, is also a factor.

Art style also factors into play here. You can have it more cartoony, realistic, or somewhere in-between. Ultimately it comes down to experimentation. I recommend looking at references to help you decide what you think best fits your art style and go from there. It might not look right when you first experiment with it, but that's the beauty of it. Everyone starts somewhere. :)
Thanks! I think that’s a good starting point : )

uydbbg

If your goal is realistic looking fur, keep in mind that fur generally consists of at least two layers- an undercoat and an outercoat. use a soft brush to draw undercoat and layer the overcoat (the actual hair) over it with a sharper brush, paying mind to length, curliness or straightness, direction of hair, etc.

Ziggy Schlacht

Hasn't figured out this "straight" business
Depends on what you want - photorealistic fur would look odd on your characters, they're more cartoony. Everyone else covered the basics here - but the big thing is thinking about fur as a block, not individual hairs. So the broad colors should be soft, then you can highlight individual hairs as needed to add texture - not every single hair, just enough where light would hit to show "hair."

One thing I do is when there's different colors, I use short sketchy lines at the boundary. It won't be a hard line between them, because some hairs are one color, some hairs are another color, so the boundary gets messy. As a (photo) example:

1603753633705.png

Looking at the neck - the dark fur is basically a single color except at the edge, where it gets fuzzy going between white and black. It's not a hard edge. Then in the white sections, it's mostly one color, only a few darker areas define the fluffiness Basically, if you were painting this, just squint/unfocus your eyes and that would tell you roughly what details are needed to make the fur obvious.

1603754041942.png

Or, as an intentionally rough sketch, I kept the linework roughly following the lines of the face. You can see the rough edges between colors.

DergenTheDragon

The cutest derg
This is how I draw fur, once you get the knack it's actually really simple

Attachments

• IMG_20201028_160847.jpg
    IMG_20201028_160847.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 27