• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How does your species fit into the world you inhabit?

Paws the Gryphon

*Technically* an Opinicus
It may be difficult to explain this one's context here, as it is a two-parter that may not be well-defined, sorry. :)

Basically asking out of curiosity, (1) what is the relation of your particular species to the world/setting itself, whether you have an otherdimensional, or non-Earth (or at least non-*this*-Earth setting), or if you are just another denizen of this Earth right here where you sit in front of the computer/tap on mobile devices... and (2) what is your position in regard to other races of that world/setting?

Essentially, where did you come from, and how isolated are you in your backstory?

For (1).... Were they created by a forgotten, now-possibly-extinct mystery, hibernating for millennia until only recently freed? Are they invaders from another dimension? Were they the product of genetic experimentation?

For (2).... Is your character the last of their unique species - possibly through your own actions, or are you just one of many of your kind? A setting of one, a few, or many races?

---

Starting with myself, for (1)...

Paws is from a parallel Earth roughly the same as this one, originating in the year 2004. She was a late teenage Canadian human, a car and tabletop gaming enthusiast who, while visiting a gaming convention, volunteered for a hypnosis demonstration along with an online friend who was visiting from the US. Due to Unforseen Consequences, both ended up mysteriously dead during the act, only to regain consciousness minutes later outside inhabiting the bodies of a fantasy display kept outside the room (a gryphon and eastern dragon, respectively). Though they are unaware of the reasoning behind this, it seems it is the result of interdimensional 'meddling' by alternate versions of themselves, that decided to pass them a 'gift' as they were capable of manipulating external realities in impossible ways, but sadly, not their own, in the hopes someday that they may gain the same ability to return the gesture.

For (2)...

Paws (and Bao, the dragon) are unique, for the most part. The world's view on reincarnation is generally the same as it is in real life. They are unaware of the catalyst for their changes for the moment. While they are 'animated' to the point that they can move as simply as if they were living, with the exception of some unusual physics (Paws is quite large, but extremely light, and could potentially be blown away in a strong wind), adults perceive them in ways that makes perfect sense - Bao appears to be a person in a well-designed costume while Paws appears to be a pristine animatronic with potentially three or four operators either inside or hidden outside, perhaps using radio controls. To children however, they appear as living, immortal fantasy equivilent constructs, a real live, albeit toy, plush dragon and gryphon. Over the first few days, each adapted visually to resemble the physical characteristics they envisioned in themselves, both straying somewhat from the classical appearance of the creatures but resembling them enough to still be recognized as dragon and gryphon. Later on they discovered that prolonged subconscious thought could continue to subtly cause changes in their appearance, though only within a certain limit.

It turns out their incidents are, in fact, not limited to just them, and there could be other rare 'creatures' in the same predicament out there. Perhaps someday, they will all discover one another. :D

Last edited:
For (1).... Were they created by a forgotten, now-possibly-extinct mystery, hibernating for millennia until only recently freed? Are they invaders from another dimension? Were they the product of genetic experimentation?

Since Marius is used in various stories with a wide variety of places and times, I suppose it's a parallel worlds/multiverse situation, where different anthro species just happened to evolve that way "naturally".

I like to leave the official "prime" world as an ambiguous mix of real world and cartoon world. For example, he lives on the Jersey shore, in a nest with a finished basement and practically worships Daffy Duck. While he goes to modern day restaurants, he might also still dive for fish as a real merganser would.

For (2).... Is your character the last of their unique species - possibly through your own actions, or are you just one of many of your kind? A setting of one, a few, or many races?

One of many, he's just another face in the crowd. Legend has it Marius used to migrate with his flock from northern Canada to New Jersey (as some real-world red-breasted mergansers do). But since he doesn't enjoy traveling and hates the cold, he decided to leave his flock and just stay in NJ.

Hm. My fursonas are all red foxes, whom I've only recently gotten around to defining at all. Flame, my primary fursona, is just me, or my spirit I suppose you could say. But Andrea (also nicknamed Flame), my secondary fursona is kind of an incarnation of her, and I've been tentatively been putting her into Eden, the high fantasy setting I'm working. So:

(1) what is the relation of your particular species to the world/setting itself, whether you have an otherdimensional, or non-Earth (or at least non-*this*-Earth setting), or if you are just another denizen of this Earth right here where you sit in front of the computer/tap on mobile devices...

Within Eden, Andrea is a Foxkin, or Werefox, where all Beastkin are descended from Humes and Elves who -- partly deliberately, partly through the natural workings of Edenic magic -- developed the ability to shapeshift into animal forms, their descendents becoming "fixed" into an anthro form.

The Foxkin are themselves pretty influential, having inherited the prosperous Kingdom of Rosaria from their Foxfae (Kitsune, Elven werefoxes in this setting) forebears and forming part of the Four Kingdoms alliance, which is the core setting for the stories I've percolating in my mind.

(2) what is your position in regard to other races of that world/setting? Essentially, where did you come from, and how isolated are you in your backstory?

Andrea was born a vixen to minor noble branch of the Flammifleure clan. She inherited her father's minor wine-growing estate, which she runs in addition to also being an author and free priestess of Daxis (meaning, she can officiate in sacrifices and other rituals, but is not bound to a Temple or religious order, though she is still answerable to the local bishop or high priest or whatever I decide to name the position).

Foxmen are, as indicated, a pretty common race in Eden, which has your normal blend of western fantasy races -- Elves, Dwarves, Halflings, Orcs, Goblins -- as well as various kinds of Beastkin, and Humes (humans). Andrea isn't too special as far as red Foxkin go, although she is starting to make a name for herself for her writing and her performances. She has at least one sibling and probably friends, as well as her servants/staff -- a typical lesser noble.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
The Order have their own civilization, Moebians have jobs, education, technologies, and government. I would say a cyberpunk like setting with a bit more eco-friendly technologies, ironically characters like Grief and Scylla also fit in, despite their superpowers. Now, on the prime world they ravage it but in theory their own little cities would look much akin to human settlements. Moebians and Mobians generally need to consume less than humans, (minus Scylla and Grief.)

The problem, Moebians are very hostile and discriminatory towards humans and their prime world counterparts, they're warmongers and exploitive. Under the Order, they're organized and worse. They want to destroy the main world's technological industry, meaning conflicts and warfare.

Moebians actually were in the old Archie Sonic comics, but I gave their concept real meat to where they're not some petty warlords lead under recolor Sonic but instead their own empire. Even in the comics they were at odds with Sonic's world right off the bat, so the mentality hasn't much changed. They just follow Grief and now try to justify their aggressions under the pretext of war. As far as ecological and issues with their species, I would say it's basically a grimdark version of Zootopia, with superpowered freaks among them too.

Kinguyakki

Alignment: Chaotic Stupid
Kinguyakki is a bastard, sired by a dragon and born to a wolf mother. It's not entirely uncommon in his world, but his parents' relationship was not a good one and he was abandoned at birth. His mother intended for him to simply die, but he was instead found and raised in a human village. The humans didn't know quite what to do with him - raise him among the human children, treat him as a pet, treat him as a beast? That shaped a lot of who he is now, and how many in his world view him. He's somewhat feral, though he's able to walk on his hind legs he usually prefers to go on all fours.
Akki has moved around a lot, sometimes finding cities or clans that welcome him. Usually, they want him as a guard or fighter and he tires of taking orders so he either leaves or makes enough of a nuisance of himself to get kicked out.

Jaredthefox92

Banned
Banned
Kinguyakki is a bastard, sired by a dragon and born to a wolf mother. It's not entirely uncommon in his world, but his parents' relationship was not a good one and he was abandoned at birth. His mother intended for him to simply die, but he was instead found and raised in a human village. The humans didn't know quite what to do with him - raise him among the human children, treat him as a pet, treat him as a beast? That shaped a lot of who he is now, and how many in his world view him. He's somewhat feral, though he's able to walk on his hind legs he usually prefers to go on all fours.
Akki has moved around a lot, sometimes finding cities or clans that welcome him. Usually, they want him as a guard or fighter and he tires of taking orders so he either leaves or makes enough of a nuisance of himself to get kicked out.

Helga was booted out of her tribe for not preforming well as a hunter, (her brother is a jerkass.) Her anti counterpart Ubel was an orphan who was raised by humans.

The_biscuits_532

big anxious kitty
Helga was booted out of her tribe for not preforming well as a hunter, (her brother is a jerkass.) Her anti counterpart Ubel was an orphan who was raised by humans.
Iza was full-on kidnapped as a small child, for reasons I've haven't entirely nailed down yet.

She was raised as part of Constantine's criminal band and abused for most of her childhood, until she ran away in her early teens.

Sure, she ended up with a rival group but at least they don't treat her like shit.

Foxridley

A fox named Ridley
I've partially abandoned Ridley's backstory, largely because I've come to view him more as a personal avatar than a character with a backstory, but he remains a cross between a kitsune and a non-magical red fox. But as far as that backstory goes:

He lives within a vast, sentient, interconnected multiverse called the Conglomeration. What races are present and their relationships vary between universes. The world Ridley inhabits has cities and infrastructure built and inhabited mostly by humans. The kitsune generally look down on humans and prefer not to interact with them. Humans generally fear and mistrust kitsune. Ridley was conceived as the indirect result of a magical accident on the part of his kitsune mother. Since other kitsune would not look kindly on her having a hybrid kit, she left him in the care of a human family she knew. The family and some friends know exactly what Ridley is, but most in the community simply know he is a magical talking fox (surely, they've heard of stranger things). He fits in fairly well since it's an open-minded society. When he goes out in public, he often takes human form largely out of convenience, since two legs work better than four in a crowd. Those who know him, treat him as a person. New people may mistake him for a pet or a familiar at first sight, much to Ridley's annoyance, but quickly learn otherwise.

There are many races in this world: elves, unicorns, dragons, ogres, you name it. Hybrids are not unheard of, especially between the various humanoids, but Ridley is a unique or at least very rare mix.

Shane McNair

Ace Pilot
Shane's world is a near mirror image of our own world as it was in the early to mid 20th century. The main difference is that it's populated by various types of anthro canids in place of humans, and there are a few action/adventure and sci-fi elements to his story. The fact that he's a bipedal, talking border collie isn't anything outstanding or unusual in his world. He's just another person, so to speak.

Essentially, where did you come from, and how isolated are you in your backstory?

This is actually kind of a thought-provoking thread. Shane's ancestry is entirely from the British Isles. He is Scots-Irish and English, so his breed makes sense in that regard, but I haven't really delved deep into how the "people" in his world came to be from an evolutionary standpoint. My ideas on ethnic origin may not be entirely complete or logically consistent in every way, but the way I approach it, more or less, is that different nationalities and ethnic groups are represented by certain wild canines and domestic dog breeds indigenous to those places. For example, another character of mine is an Iberian wolf from Venezuela. He is of Criollo lineage, meaning that he comes from a line of full-blooded ethnic Spaniards born in South America.

Another one of my characters is a maned wolf, originally from Bolivia. Two other characters, Eurasian wolves, are from Germany. The Germans would also include red foxes, German shepherds, Doberman Pinschers, Rottweilers, Dachshunds, etc. A lot of Russians are Eurasian wolves, tundra wolves, red, corsac, and Arctic foxes, Siberian huskies, borzois, and Samoyed dogs. The Japanese, among other things, are Japanese Spitzes, Akitas, Shiba Inus, foxes, and the Japanese wolf which, in real life, was sadly hunted to extinction in 1905. A lot of Middle Easterners are golden jackals, while many sub-Saharan African ethnic groups are represented as African wild dogs.

There is crossbreeding, of course, but individuals generally tend to marry and procreate with their own kind. Sometimes this is affected by attitudes regarding racial distinctions, but in most instances I think it's just a matter of natural attraction and social norms.

Last edited:

vikingbeast69

A Wolf, Man!
In a Zootopia-type setting of anthro mammals, my fursona Pappy Wolf is an OC of my other OC, Nero.

Southern gentleman wolf Nero is nice to a fault. He created the character of the redneck Pappy as an outlet for his more aggressive impulses, dressing the part and adopting the accent of a country cousin of his. Once while meditating, Nero’s spirit left his body and encountered a wise cosmic being who decided Pappy should be only half pretend, and Nero only half real. This has led to a Jekyll/Hyde situation for poor Nero, since he physically transforms into his alter ego at inopportune times.

sleepy kitty

(◡‿◡✿) ꪑꫀꪮ᭙
Annabelle is a feline anthro character (domestic cat) who lives on an Earth-like world parallel to an opposite shadow dimension. Annabelle is just a regular commoner in her world, although she tries every day to make a difference and to make other people feel happy and loved.

The technology on her planet is somewhat advanced, yet nature-based and 100% eco friendly. The shadow world's technology is highly advanced (thousand times more than modern day earth) and is not nearly as eco friendly.