• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How Furry is Too Furry?

How Furry are You?

• I like some of the pictures...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm a pretty big regular on a few sites and forums

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I own one or more fursuit.

• Fursuitting isn't recreation. It's a way of life.

• I have an inner animal spirit.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I'm not a hyooman! I'm a tiger. RAAR!!

• Total voters

Dickie

At what point do you just have to take a step back and just say "whoa" when it comes to the furry fandom? There are folks that go from the occasional browsing of furry art to living as animals out in the woods somewhere. When does it become too much?

Arshes Nei

Masticates in Public
When someone says they no longer want to be human, but then bitch about it on the internet. I think they should detect the irony at the very least.

Lobo Roo

turtles natures suction cups
Well, I personally find a big difference in the "I is not 'hooman'" etc. have being therian or otherkin - but that may just be me. I mean, I'm not giving up humanity or saying I have fur and shit. Pandas are my totem animal - but I (unfortunately, not saying I wish I couldn't be a panda or something, just for kicks) am human. I have skin, hair not fur, blah blah blah...I'm not giving up humanity. I want to work with animals, yeah, but not to the extent that I claim humans are nothing and run off nekkid to the wild. That's just..insane.

I'd say about the time that people start rejecting the fact they are human and insist they are an animal. Having an animal spririt isn't so unusual, though I would probably specify that more as a spirit guide.

The fursuiting isn't so bad, and I guess it's my love of Halloween that makes me say that. It's when people are having sex while dressed in full regalia that kind of gets me.

Silverdragon00

Banned
Banned
First of all I want to say that most of the time, those believing they have animal spirits have nothing to do with the furry fandom (there are exceptions though.)

I would say the "Fursuitting is a way of life" is the beginning of going over the line. Once it goes from recreation to a way of life, it should be a bit of a concern at least.

emptyF

where my frogs at?
when you inspire other furries to roll their eyes, you are officially way too furry for your own good. and for the good of the human race.

Xipoid

Cameras
I like living out in the woods like an animal, except I don't do the whole animal part. Extreme survival is fun (to me).

Yea, I look at some pictures, go on some sites, talk on a forum or two, go to cons, nothing really special.

Ruiner

once you hate humanity more that the usual bit. Failing that... once other furries hate you for being a furry. that ought to do it.

capthavoc123

Master of Disaster
When you refuse to be known by the name your parents gave you, and instead insist people refer to you by your "furry" name.

i.e. Cloudchaser Shaconage.

foxy

Wearing a fursuit for halloween doesn't mean im a furry.
Also i dont call myself ''Furry'' because the word is meanless.

capthavoc123

Master of Disaster
foxy said:
Also i dont call myself ''Furry'' because the word is meanless.

Now that strikes me as a silly thing to say.

I suppose the word "gay" is meaningless as well?

Lobo Roo

turtles natures suction cups
Well, a lot of people call me 'fuzzy' or 'panda girl' or 'lobo' or 'bambú' , I don't care if they want to call me something other than my human name. Besides, I change THAT name too - so no big deal. (To Alexander, if you want to know, not to anything weird)

Oh, and I have a fursuit ordered.

foxy

capthavoc123 said:
Now that strikes me as a silly thing to say.

I suppose the word "gay" is meaningless as well?
According to http://www.answers.com/furry the word [Furry] by definition is:

Covered with, wearing, or trimmed with fur.

Does wearing fur make me furry ? Yes.
Does loving or owning animals make me furry ? No.
Does loving or wearing animal plushies make me furry ? Yes & No
Does loving or acting like an animal make me furry ? No.
Does loving or drawing animal arts make me furry ? No.

So i see no reason to call your self a [furry] by definition.

To be one is to wear something fur.

A woman with a fur coat is considered a furry by definition.
A woman with a fur costume is also considered a furry by definition.

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I'm not against fursuiting (I'd like to go around in one at least once) and especially not against a collar or a tail, but I do think it is a bit much when you refuse to believe you are a human being at least on the outside. I can't blame anyone for hating humans in general, but there is a line that you can go over when it comes to that.

Rhainor

Rawr.
Either that last poll option could use a little rewording, or there should be another just before it...or both. I'm a dragon otherkin (bit more than "inner animal spirit", IMHO), but I'm also human -- a fact that irks me sometimes, but certainly not to the point of outright denying that it's true.

Just because you want it to be true, and/or consider it to be true, doesn't make it true. Just because I wish I was *completely* a dragon, and consider myself to be a dragon for purposes of self-identity, doesn't mean I'm not *also* human.

And seeing the people who would fit into that last poll option go around spewing "hoomun", "hyooman", etc. just bugs me, and I refuse to do it myself.

Cygnus421

I would say that when you perpetually act like an animal, or wear a fursuit to a point where it's annoying, and it's impeding you from doing what's really important in life, then you're too furry.

Wolf-Bone

Banned
Banned
On the whole "animal spirits" thing, furry and therianthropy are not "sister fandoms" as that guy co-hosting 2Sense put it. That being said, the extent to which therians and furries get wrapped up in their respective pursuits is like two sides of the same coin. For example, I know a guy who legally changed his name to "Wolf", which to me seems unnecessary since names are just labels and if you're a wolf, you're a wolf regardless of name. Now, he might be a bit eccentric, but he's not deluded to same extent as people who believe they can or should become more animal-like physically. On the furry side of the coin, you get body modification, and on the therian side you not only get that but "p-shifters" who believe the ability to physically transform one's self into an animal on the genetic level is or will be possible. But then again, you can have delusions and still lead a healthy lifestyle, just as you can change your name and appearance and still lead a healthy lifestyle (the fact that society will make this nearly impossible for people who look too different doesn't necessarily mean they can't be productive members of society. People just won't allow them to).

What I think it comes down to is how much someones obsessions interfere with the rest of their life. Like somebody might not fursuit, body-mod or believe in p-shifting, but instead spend so much time on Furcadia or searching the net for furry art that they neglect school / work and family and their other obligations. And really, that kind of person is more self destructive than someone who wishes they were their fursona / were-side but doesn't obsess over it to the point that it takes a toll on their quality of life.

Dickie

foxy said:
According to http://www.answers.com/furry the word [Furry] by definition is:

Covered with, wearing, or trimmed with fur.

Does wearing animal fur make me furry ? Yes.
Does wearing animal costume make me furry ? Yes
Does loving or owning animals make me furry ? No.
Does loving or wearing animal plushies make me furry ? Yes & No
Does loving or acting like an animal make me furry ? No.
Does loving or drawing animal arts make me furry ? No.

So i see no reason to call your self a [furry] by definition.

To be one is to wear something fur.

Now, you're defining the adjective form of the word. We're talking about the noun. To be a furry is not the same as being furry.

While, yes, to be furry is by definition to be covered with fur, being a furry is to identify ones self as a member of the furry fandom.

foxy

Dickie said:
Now, you're defining the adjective form of the word. We're talking about the noun. To be a furry is not the same as being furry.

While, yes, to be furry is by definition to be covered with fur, being a furry is to identify ones self as a member of the furry fandom.

In that case i'll use the word anthropomorphic fan. So yes i am a fan.

Well, I have a fursiut (in-progress..I'm still building it) but the only forum I visit is this one and I don't beleive I am a dragon physically, I do think I may be spiritually perhaps, but I am sane enough to realize my body is human, though role playing as one is fun ^.=.^ and i do like dragon-spcific scaley/furry art, but I'm not about to "cast off" my human "form" and beliefs and go running around naked in the woods shouting like Tarzan. I just think being a fur is fun.

ADF

None of the poll options really apply to me; I like furry for more than just the pictures but I don’t fursuit (would be too embarrassed) or believe any of that animal spirit stuff (none religious to begin with), I don’t wish I was a wild animal either as I am very much attached to being intellectually aware and not instinct driven. Besides I love civilisation! Cloths? Technology? Plentiful amounts of food and water? Modern medical care? Rock on! Die of a common cold in the wild if you want, I’ll enjoy warm cosy nights in a house.

However, that doesn’t stop me from playing with the idea of enjoying a none human form. Given the choice I would prefer to be evolutionary originated from reptiles rather than mammals; trading soft skin and plantigrade legs for scales, digitigrade legs and a long thick tail. Why does it appeal to me? Who knows, such is the mystery of human thought. If anyone actually knows what the whole psychological appeal of an animalistic body is be sure to get back to me with that.

I just find the whole human physical form to be overrated; it’s our mind and ability to manipulate our environment that makes us so special, I don’t see how the same couldn’t be achieved in a more interesting form. But then it begs to question that if you were born into a different body would it still seem special? Probably not; but the human body itself is rather plain compared to other species. No body patterns, no additional traits outside of the basic requirements, no exceptional physical capabilities, no offensive or defensive… We’re a soft meat sack with standard limbs and sensory organs attached, is it any wonder some people fantasize about being something else? But now I wander off topic…

I can’t say if desiring to be a different species is taking furry too far; hell if they have civilisations like ours they probably wouldn’t do much better than we are right now, most furry fantasies do portray them in a world like our own after all. However I have seen examples of people who have taken this fascination with an animal form too far; I recall reading an online journal by a woman who actually wanted to be a plain dog. To give up all responsibility and become a carefree canine who relies on someone else to take care of them. She even wrote about how she attempts to be more like a dog; covering how she was subjecting herself to self hypnosis tapes to make her think she is one and how she sneaks out late at night to pee in the bushes to feel more like a animal… I don’t know if I would even consider such a person a furry, but a scary example none the less.