• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How have I improved?

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
I got some help with anatomy from DeCat, and applied it to a character I've been working on:

1369762075.transformerrobot_corono_raptor2.jpg

Have I improved in any way at all?

If so, how have I?

DeCatt

Parking Lot Enthusiast
Well done, this is a huge improvement over the last one. Everything across the board has improved. Like I mentioned in a PM, invest in some Loomis books or search for the PDFs, they're really good and they'll help you understand anatomy a lot better. Also try and find Jack Hamm's How To Draw Animals, it helps with dealing with digitigrade feet, muzzles, etc.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Well done, this is a huge improvement over the last one. Everything across the board has improved. Like I mentioned in a PM, invest in some Loomis books or search for the PDFs, they're really good and they'll help you understand anatomy a lot better. Also try and find Jack Hamm's How To Draw Animals, it helps with dealing with digitigrade feet, muzzles, etc.

I don't have to keep her this way do I?

I wanted her to be a little bit chubbier (because that's how I do).

Originally I had modeled her after a friend of mine, but that didn't give me enough reference for her mid-section. Would've asked her to come over in a bikini, but that would be too awkward.

DeCatt

Parking Lot Enthusiast
I don't have to keep her this way do I?

I wanted her to be a little bit chubbier (because that's how I do).

Originally I had modeled her after a friend of mine, but that didn't give me enough reference for her mid-section. Would've asked her to come over in a bikini, but that would be too awkward.

No, you can make her more chubby. It's just important to learn how body fat sits on the body. In the older version, there was a lot of weight in the breasts and hips, but not enough in the mid-chest, navel and lower leg areas. I suggest either referencing from some other artists you like to get an idea of how body mass is spread out.

Edit: It is really good to hear that you tried to get a RL model for reference. Drawing with RL references is one of the most effective ways to learn. If you have trouble convincing a friend to sit still naked for 2 hours or whatever, look online for local art schools or groups that have study classes. There is one down the road from me that runs once a week, you pay something like $15 and you get some artistic advice and they pay a model to hold a pose for the entire class. See if you can find one near you.

Last edited:

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
No, you can make her more chubby. It's just important to learn how body fat sits on the body. In the older version, there was a lot of weight in the breasts and hips, but not enough in the mid-chest, navel and lower leg areas. I suggest either referencing from some other artists you like to get an idea of how body mass is spread out.

Edit: It is really good to hear that you tried to get a RL model for reference. Drawing with RL references is one of the most effective ways to learn. If you have trouble convincing a friend to sit still naked for 2 hours or whatever, look online for local art schools or groups that have study classes. There is one down the road from me that runs once a week, you pay something like $15 and you get some artistic advice and they pay a model to hold a pose for the entire class. See if you can find one near you.

Now, if I wanna make it more like the original model, could I simply just add more weight to the mid-section while shortening to limbs a bit? (She's only 4 feet tall)

Zydala

Kisses for everyone!
The same "rules" work for furries/dinosaurs/humans/whatever, just little superficial differences. It's kind of like building blocks. Start big (shapes, rules), go small (details, tweaks)

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Well here's something else bothering me.

DeCat says I needed to have her eyes further apart at first, but lots of animators and artists draw characters with their eyes unrealistically close together (Even when they're not merged together like in Sonic).

I was hoping to make my own art style out of this, so doesn't that mean I shouldn't have changed her eyes?

Eiriol

If you're really serious about becoming good at drawing, you need to get yourself a graphic tablet and a program like Photoshop. Using the line tool in Paint looks very amateur and like a child drew it. Also, if you want it to look realistic, then you need to study anatomy properly. There are no perfectly straight lines on a body. You also need to learn how to cel shade and use shadows properly.

Also, I sincerely hope you're not seriously using Comic Sans on your reference sheet...

Last edited:

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes

PastryOfApathy

DeCat says I needed to have her eyes further apart at first, but lots of animators and artists draw characters with their eyes unrealistically close together (Even when they're not merged together like in Sonic).

I was hoping to make my own art style out of this, so doesn't that mean I shouldn't have changed her eyes?

You can't stylize the human body if you can't actually draw the human body.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
If you're really serious about becoming good at drawing, you need to get yourself a graphic tablet and a program like Photoshop. Using the line tool in Paint looks very amateur and like a child drew it. Also, if you want it to look realistic, then you need to study anatomy properly. There are no perfectly straight lines on a body. You also need to learn how to cel shade and use shadows properly.

Also, I sincerely hope you're not seriously using Comic Sans on your reference sheet...

It's in Flash, not Paint.

What's wrong with using Comic Sans on a reference sheet?

0rang3

Hurdur

Art style is exaggeration of subjects, so unless you've learnt how to draw real human eyes or animal eyes, you can't stylize them.

If you do it would look kinda weird

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Art style is exaggeration of subjects, so unless you've learnt how to draw real human eyes or animal eyes, you can't stylize them.

If you do it would look kinda weird

Well so do the styles of shows like Dexter's Laboratory or TUFF Puppy.

Also, shouldn't I have kept her forehead almost unseen? She's based on a velociraptor, and look at the head on those little monsters:

8357-velociraptor_1038.jpg

I only drew her head somewhat different from that so she could have her eyes forward.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
Since she's a velociraptor, which had it's eyes more to the side rather than forward, should her eyes be more like that? Or have her eyes positioned forward?

I was thinking of keeping them positioned forward so that she was, you know, more relate-able to humans. Or would she be better off with eyes more to the side for binocular vision?

Or what about her head-shape? Since velociraptor didn't have a forehead like humans or apes, couldn't her skull be elongated at the back to make room for her brain?

Taralack

Hit 'em right between the eyes
You should study animations that have already managed to pull this off. Like Dinosaur and Land Before Time.

Dinosaur-disney-67709_1024_768.jpg

The_gang,_frightened.jpg

Do some research of your own ;)

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
You should study animations that have already managed to pull this off. Like Dinosaur and Land Before Time.

Dinosaur-disney-67709_1024_768.jpg

The_gang,_frightened.jpg

Do some research of your own ;)

I do do my own research, but who says that means I can't continue to ask for help?

*tries reshaping her head to look more like the actual raptor*

This is actually working pretty good. I'll have an example to show you soon.

Last edited:

RTDragon

RTP User
TransformerRobot do you even follow up on others advice considering i remember your previous thread here before that was locked. I would really suggest you make a sketchbook thread as well to progress your studies.

TransformerRobot

Robot in disguise
TransformerRobot do you even follow up on others advice considering i remember your previous thread here before that was locked. I would really suggest you make a sketchbook thread as well to progress your studies.

Just now I was considering going back to my sketchbook, so, sure.