• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How long do reply restrictions restrictions last for most?

-Praydeth-

The Trickster coyote.
I have had reply restrictions for nearly 12 hours now , THIS IS INSANE! I expected to be pretty bad but i did not expect them to be this bad. While i certainly agree i needed reply restrictions put on me i didn't expect them to last 12 dam hours. Also this happens to people who don't deservere the restrictions put apon them. Okami_No_Heishi Can barely be a part of the forums with him constantly having reply restrictions put on him look at his posts he barely does anything wrong at all.

There should be a system where other people can say if a person is not deserving of having reply restrictions put on them for recent actions. If 5 people say he/she shouldn't get reply restrictions and do a capatcha and were on one of the threads they were spammy, hateful or etc on. Also if people have it where there post too man small messages to close together the message get's merged with others within that same span of time. Ive seen this done in plenty of other places and should not be too hard to implement.

I also am getting Pm's from people who are also currently restricted from replying
Ill start listing people that have pm'd me and say reply restrictions are affecting them a lot from being a part of the forums.
Crimson_Steel17

Also i know this thread need to be moved to another part of the forums but i don't know exactly where to put it.

Oh look i'm famous forums.furaffinity.net: Bug/Site Problem: - The Muting Algorithm is TOO General

Last edited:

Wolveon

I swear I will not kill anyone
Not sure how long the reply restrictions last, but maybe if people would edit their posts instead of making two or three extra ones it would help avoid them.. lol.
Also if people have it where there post too man small messages to close together the message get's merged with others within that same span of time.
Basically this, but there should already be rules about double posting IMO.

-Praydeth-

The Trickster coyote.
Not sure how long the reply restrictions last, but maybe if people would edit their posts instead of making two or three extra ones it would help avoid them.. lol.
When you take every dam moment of the day to post a link to some metal in "what music are you listening to now" thread. I'm surprised you don't have them to some degree. I'm sorry but people who love metal don't get this. If they don't love metal they usually hate it but try not to say their opinions on it. Please if you want to post metal make a thread for it.
The thread is not asking you that question every moment you live, Please stop filling that thread with metal.

D

Deleted member 82554

Long enough to know that you should probably go outside once in awhile.

-Praydeth-

The Trickster coyote.
I only know it lasted that long because it happened around 4 in the morning when i had trouble falling asleep and it continued into 7pm today.

Diretooth

Dire Wolf and Dragon Therianthrope
Speaking as a person who has had experience as a moderator on a Therian forum, (Which has spammers, trolls, bad roleplayers who post in non-roleplay threads, amd unsolicited media people trying to use us as the next documentary punching bag, among other things,) I know what it's like to have several people shitpost several times all at once, often causing problems even though I didn't have a post-restricting thing beyond manually setting it, I understand the need for a (in the minds of outside perspectives) similar enough forum/community to have something that restricts potential spambots.
Or rather, more concisely, there's a good reason for it.
That does not mean it's doing its job right. I tend to not post multiple times in quick succession, so I have not actually gotten a mute for it, but I've seen plenty enough people get muted for seemingly no reason. Moderating a large enough forum is hard, and FAF is certainly one of the larger ones I've been on. I can only imagine some of the shit that went down here when furry bashing was the new best thing to do. The preventative measures taken to prevent mindless and blatant spamming for the sake of causing a disruption are justified, but they also need to be constantly tested and tweaked to make sure they're optimal for what they're needed for.
So, yeah, definitely overhaul the system so overeager forum-goers don't get muted, but don't get mad at the mods/admins/devs who use/make the thing necessary to cutting down the inevitable stream of bullshit that would ensue without it.

Mystic Thunder

Worse than a grounded pilot: a grounded pegasus
I have had reply restrictions for nearly 12 hours now , THIS IS INSANE! I expected to be pretty bad but i did not expect them to be this bad. While i certainly agree i needed reply restrictions put on me i didn't expect them to last 12 dam hours. Also this happens to people who don't deservere the restrictions put apon them. Okami_No_Heishi Can barely be a part of the forums with him constantly having reply restrictions put on him look at his posts he barely does anything wrong at all.

There should be a system where other people can say if a person is not deserving of having reply restrictions put on them for recent actions. If 5 people say he/she shouldn't get reply restrictions and do a capatcha and were on one of the threads they were spammy, hateful or etc on. Also if people have it where there post too man small messages to close together the message get's merged with others within that same span of time. Ive seen this done in plenty of other places and should not be too hard to implement.

I also am getting Pm's from people who are also currently restricted from replying
Ill start listing people that have pm'd me and say reply restrictions are affecting them a lot from being a part of the forums.
Crimson_Steel17

Also i know this thread need to be moved to another part of the forums but i don't know exactly where to put it.

Oh look i'm famous forums.furaffinity.net: Bug/Site Problem: - The Muting Algorithm is TOO General
No bro, YOU'RE not famous, your thread in my video was famous. Big difference.
Yeah, remind me how that works again? One of my more recent restrictions came after I went to class and came back to find myself muted after sitting idle extensively... can we please have logic?
Speaking as a person who has had experience as a moderator on a Therian forum, (Which has spammers, trolls, bad roleplayers who post in non-roleplay threads, amd unsolicited media people trying to use us as the next documentary punching bag, among other things,) I know what it's like to have several people shitpost several times all at once, often causing problems even though I didn't have a post-restricting thing beyond manually setting it, I understand the need for a (in the minds of outside perspectives) similar enough forum/community to have something that restricts potential spambots.
Or rather, more concisely, there's a good reason for it.
That does not mean it's doing its job right. I tend to not post multiple times in quick succession, so I have not actually gotten a mute for it, but I've seen plenty enough people get muted for seemingly no reason. Moderating a large enough forum is hard, and FAF is certainly one of the larger ones I've been on. I can only imagine some of the shit that went down here when furry bashing was the new best thing to do. The preventative measures taken to prevent mindless and blatant spamming for the sake of causing a disruption are justified, but they also need to be constantly tested and tweaked to make sure they're optimal for what they're needed for.
So, yeah, definitely overhaul the system so overeager forum-goers don't get muted, but don't get mad at the mods/admins/devs who use/make the thing necessary to cutting down the inevitable stream of bullshit that would ensue without it.
I can appreciate this, that's why when I made the thread I did (which OP was so kind as to link without me asking, and I'm not complaining because that's one less thing to worry about) I stated that the policy is TOO GENERAL and needs a tune-up- not the easier alternative that it's just BS and needs abolished. Moderation IS hard, and that's why bots are often used. However, bots alone can slap someone who's new, curious, or just overly enthusiastic with the same consequences as someone who gets on for the sole purpose of trolling other users. It's not right, and it can definitely turn someone off from the fandom if (and especially if, given this site's technique in employing such restrictions) they are not told what they did wrong, and there's no link to any specific set of rules that say how often you can post, what will get you muted, how long it lasts for, etc.
Sorry for the extra wind, but I'm really passionate about this. The point of a forum is to meet new peeps, express opinions, and have a good time. This cannot be done if the site is too busy ban-hammering people and not even telling them how to avoid it. That's my $10 worth, free of charge...

Wolveon

I swear I will not kill anyone
Also if people have it where there post too man small messages to close together the message get's merged with others within that same span of time.
When you take every dam moment of the day to post a link to some metal in "what music are you listening to now" thread. I'm surprised you don't have them to some degree. I'm sorry but people who love metal don't get this. If they don't love metal they usually hate it but try not to say their opinions on it. Please if you want to post metal make a thread for it.
The thread is not asking you that question every moment you live, Please stop filling that thread with metal.
That has basically nothing to do with this thread, but okay..
The topic is for posting whatever song you want. I happen to listen to a lot of metal, and I'm not going to change that because a random person on a furry website is mad about that lol. Maybe you should just not listen to what I post there?

Yakamaru

Yee to the haw
1. Don't double, triple and quadruple SPAM posts you can keep in ONE reply. This is why some people keep getting reply restrictions. Use the reply and quoting function. It's there for a reason.
2. You can do PM's for more personal conversations. This has no restrictions.
3. The forums is set up in such a way that if you post too much within a short timespan you get reply restricted.
4. I've warned Okami and several others on like 4-5(like, 20(?) times or something in total on the forum) different occasions before he blocked me. I have no intention of being responsible for his stupidity and unwillingness to listen.
5. I've given friendly warnings before. If you don't listen it's your own fault.
6. The normal time for people to get restricted is between 8-24 hours, depending on how many times you've been previously restricted and how much you've replied.

Quite frankly, I am tempted to report this thread and any similar ones popping up in the future as I am sick of seeing this crap popping up way more often than it should. Either people start listening and use some basic netiquette when it comes to replying to people or be forever stuck in a reply restriction cycle.

Last edited:

Sogreth

Local Cuddle Bear and Wannabe Writer
100% agree with OP. I haven't even had any restrictions, but I can definitely see how annoying it can be.

No one is "breaking the rules" either, it says NO WHERE that you can't double or triple post. Feel free to throw the rule book around, but it's not in there. The reply restriction is supposed to be used to combat bots, and seeing as how people like @Okami_No_Heishi @Crimson_Steel17 and -Praydeth- aren't bots, it's not working the way it's supposed to.

There is no "crime" being done, there are no rules being broken.

One of my more recent restrictions came after I went to class and came back to find myself muted after sitting idle extensively... can we please have logic?

Here is a prefect example. How does this make any sense? Obviously there is some major bug, or mods are just picking on people who are more active on the forums than others.

Yakamaru

Yee to the haw
100% agree with OP. I haven't even had any restrictions, but I can definitely see how annoying it can be.

No one is "breaking the rules" either, it says NO WHERE that you can't double or triple post. Feel free to throw the rule book around, but it's not in there. The reply restriction is supposed to be used to combat bots, and seeing as how people like @Okami_No_Heishi @Crimson_Steel17 and -Praydeth- aren't bots, it's not working the way it's supposed to.

So you're saying people should be allowed to spam as much as they want, like what an actual bot would do? Even if they can easily condense their replies to a single comment/reply by multi-quoting, preventing cluttering? Again: Basic netiquette. This isn't about rules on the forum. This is about common sense and basic logic when it comes to replying to several people at once.

Doing multi-quoting is not hard. If you have something that can be taken to a PM, do so. If you spam the forum will consider you as acting like a bot and give you reply restrictions. People don't wanna listen and end up in a constant reply restriction cycle, which is why we're now here. I have a low tolerance of wilful ignorance.

And no. The forum and reply restriction is working as it should. It's to prevent the forum from drowning in only a few people's comments and replies.

If you follow my points above you WON'T get reply restricted.

Sogreth

So you're saying people should be allowed to spam as much as they want

Well, it's not spamming. It's being an active member of the community.

And no. It's NOT working as it should. A member was kind enough to make a video for it as well. Obviously something is wrong. Obviously something is not working.

And it's not like these active members are posting crap either, they are well liked members. Okami for example...
Notable Members | Fur Affinity Forums
They should not be punished because they want to be more active on the forums.
They should not get 12 hour locks because they want to be more active on the forums.
They should not get locks for AFKing.

Yakamaru

Yee to the haw
Well, it's not spamming. It's being an active member of the community.

And no. It's NOT working as it should. A member was kind enough to make a video for it as well. Obviously something is wrong. Obviously something is not working.

And it's not like these active members are posting crap either, they are well liked members. Okami for example...
Notable Members | Fur Affinity Forums
They should not be punished because they want to be more active on the forums.
They should not get 12 hour locks because they want to be more active on the forums.
They should not get locks for AFKing.
Then where do you draw the line between spamming and "being an active member of the forum's community"? 10 posts? 20? 50? 100? The forum, albeit far from perfect, will act according to how it's programmed and set up. If the forum's definition of "spamming" is set at lets say, 30 posts within 20 minutes, you will get a reply restriction.

I would consider myself a decently liked member as well, and I am not on a constant reply restriction spree. I am not spamming things that could easily be sent in a PM/DM.

Okami is constantly being hit by reply restrictions because he didn't listen to my friendly warnings several months ago. If you don't listen you will end up with a reply restriction, although sometimes unjustly.

This is a forum, not a Skype/Discord chat. Different rules and netiquette apply. Being active is fine. Got something you want to talk to someone about? Feel free to send a PM/DM. A decent amount of things I see on the forums can easily be taken to a DM/PM, kept away from public eyes and you prevent reply restriction, 3 birds with one stone. You can complain as much as you want, it won't change how the forum operates under its code. If you post enough replies according to the forums' own spam definitions, expect a reply restriction.

The forum ain't perfect. Bugs are prone to pop up at times. If you are indeed hit by such a bug/glitch you should take it up with an admin/mod and wait until the restriction wears off.

Again: Follow the simple steps above and you will not get any reply restrictions. Exceptions are bugs and glitches.

quoting_mungo

Hey, as much as it does make things look a lot tidier when people multiquote rather than posting multiple replies in a row, can we please refrain from insulting them over it? There's no need to involve insults, and doubly not against people who've blocked you. Thank you.
or mods are just picking on people who are more active on the forums than others.
The reply restrictions are automatic; the only similar thing staff might do is give users a time-out from a specific thread or subforum if they've been extensively disruptive and not listened when being asked to tone it down/knock it off. Since software is kind of... inherently stupid, consolidating your posts into a single one where possible is a good way to try to avoid the restrictions kicking in, tho. The forum software can't tell a legitimate member making lots of posts from a spambot doing the same; we do not have that sort of advanced text parsing.

-Praydeth-

The Trickster coyote.
So you're saying people should be allowed to spam as much as they want, like what an actual bot would do? Even if they can easily condense their replies to a single comment/reply by multi-quoting, preventing cluttering? Again: Basic netiquette. This isn't about rules on the forum. This is about common sense and basic logic when it comes to replying to several people at once.

Doing multi-quoting is not hard. If you have something that can be taken to a PM, do so. If you spam the forum will consider you as acting like a bot and give you reply restrictions. People don't wanna listen and end up in a constant reply restriction cycle, which is why we're now here. I have a low tolerance of wilful ignorance.

And no. The forum and reply restriction is working as it should. It's to prevent the forum from drowning in only a few people's comments and replies.

If you follow my points above you WON'T get reply restricted.
Yes but one thing if someone makes the same exact mistakes where each mistake can be described exactly word for word with one sentence each time the problem occurs. Here is a example
This is not the fault of the person but the method the person is being thought through or the system itself.

And the way you say it seems it's the system because they do follow these things most of the time most of the time and they still get blocked.

To quote the video. "Just because it is possible does not mean the product is finished if you constantly come across a problem that halts progress that can easily be fixed by automation it is not the fault of the user it's the fault of the programmer!"

You forget we are humans we often make mistakes in unique ways and each person act's differently. Okami's thought to text is something you can't just fix if Okami interact's through responses that are short and individualized through each moment an he cant move on to another one until the last one he thought about is done that is the way he does it. He is not inherently spammy.

It's simple add a system where replies too close to each other by the same person are merged. I could get the coder from my gmod dev team to do this for you guys if he didn't know what it was being used for. It fixes problems that would not even be present if we had to make sure we wait till other people have talked enough to do a multi reply.

Last edited:

Mystic Thunder

1. Don't double, triple and quadruple SPAM posts you can keep in ONE reply. This is why some people keep getting reply restrictions. Use the reply and quoting function. It's there for a reason.
2. You can do PM's for more personal conversations. This has no restrictions.
3. The forums is set up in such a way that if you post too much within a short timespan you get reply restricted.
4. I've warned Okami and several others on like 4-5(like, 20(?) times or something in total on the forum) different occasions before he blocked me. I have no intention of being responsible for his stupidity and unwillingness to listen.
5. I've given friendly warnings before. If you don't listen it's your own fault.
6. The normal time for people to get restricted is between 8-24 hours, depending on how many times you've been previously restricted and how much you've replied.

Quite frankly, I am tempted to report this thread and any similar ones popping up in the future as I am sick of seeing this crap popping up way more often than it should. Either people start listening and use some basic netiquette when it comes to replying to people or be forever stuck in a reply restriction cycle.
You do the crime you do the time
You two need to CALM DOWN. Nothing was EVER accomplished in the fashion you're going about it (insults, single-minded insistence, etc), and the fact that it's you two doing it is NOT going to change that. So cool it, and open your mind.

Here is a prefect example. How does this make any sense? Obviously there is some major bug, or mods are just picking on people who are more active on the forums than others.
As much as I appreciate your example using my single occurrence situation, it's exactly that- a single occurrence. An anomaly. Probably some rogue process in the TPS they use for bots, and not much more. I used it because it was my most extreme example, and no further reason. It happened, it's over, and (as much as I would like an explanation) I'm ready to move on.
Hey, as much as it does make things look a lot tidier when people multiquote rather than posting multiple replies in a row, can we please refrain from insulting them over it? There's no need to involve insults, and doubly not against people who've blocked you. Thank you.

The reply restrictions are automatic; the only similar thing staff might do is give users a time-out from a specific thread or subforum if they've been extensively disruptive and not listened when being asked to tone it down/knock it off. Since software is kind of... inherently stupid, consolidating your posts into a single one where possible is a good way to try to avoid the restrictions kicking in, tho. The forum software can't tell a legitimate member making lots of posts from a spambot doing the same; we do not have that sort of advanced text parsing.
A wise professor and programmer once told me that "A program is only as stupid as it's designer, and even then maybe just a little dumber." And you and I have clearly stated that the bots CAN'T tell the difference, the designer didn't make them to because (s)he didn't have reason to expect this to arise. Until a better solution can be found, it may be necessary for y'all to have some human oversight for the bots. Not ideal, but I can't really come up with anything better in the foreseeable future. I look forward to finding a solution, and I'm going to stop replying to this thread after this post. It's dead, and I stated my opinions elsewhere on this site more clearly.

Therefore, have a good one everybody. CD1145, out.

quoting_mungo

the designer didn't make them to because (s)he didn't have reason to expect this to arise
More likely, the designer didn't make them to because designing a program that can reliably tell on-topic, productive forum posts from automatically generated spambot shitposting is all but impossible. (Hell, sometimes that difference can be hard enough for a human to determine!) Ultimately, computers at our current state of technological development do not possess the underlying prerequisites to understand text; the best an AI can do is make a semi-convincing job of pretending to. State-of-the-art text parsing isn't exactly something I'd expect of your average forum mod developers, either; that's more the domain of some cutting-edge AI-and-robotics R&D facility or something.

We know the forum software can be persnickety about replies sometimes. We know it can be frustrating. All I'm suggesting is that since it does do this sometimes, and is being erratic enough about it that it's difficult to nail down what exactly is causing the problem, trying to do what's in your own power to alleviate the situation as much as possible.

Mystic Thunder

More likely, the designer didn't make them to because designing a program that can reliably tell on-topic, productive forum posts from automatically generated spambot shitposting is all but impossible. (Hell, sometimes that difference can be hard enough for a human to determine!) Ultimately, computers at our current state of technological development do not possess the underlying prerequisites to understand text; the best an AI can do is make a semi-convincing job of pretending to. State-of-the-art text parsing isn't exactly something I'd expect of your average forum mod developers, either; that's more the domain of some cutting-edge AI-and-robotics R&D facility or something.

We know the forum software can be persnickety about replies sometimes. We know it can be frustrating. All I'm suggesting is that since it does do this sometimes, and is being erratic enough about it that it's difficult to nail down what exactly is causing the problem, trying to do what's in your own power to alleviate the situation as much as possible.
Thank you... I would love to argue the benefits of a few additional For-loops, but I can see that this is a conversation that is out of my league- so I'll shut up now.

Sogreth

As much as I appreciate your example using my single occurrence situation, it's exactly that- a single occurrence. An anomaly. Probably some rogue process in the TPS they use for bots, and not much more. I used it because it was my most extreme example, and no further reason. It happened, it's over, and (as much as I would like an explanation) I'm ready to move on

*Sigh* Then why even bring it up in the first place? If there was no intention of using it as an argument.

One of my more recent restrictions came after I went to class and came back to find myself muted after sitting idle extensively... can we please have logic?

Obviously you were looking for answers. Then you just drop it like that. W/e, you make no sense. You're probably not going to read this anyways.

Mystic Thunder

*Sigh* Then why even bring it up in the first place? If there was no intention of using it as an argument.

Obviously you were looking for answers. Then you just drop it like that. W/e, you make no sense. You're probably not going to read this anyways.
I'm just giving up... it's obvious that I'll just have to deal with it, and probably change majors so that what I'm learning everyday in class doesn't make me want to scream bloody murder when people try and tell me that something caused by lazy programmers is actually just not possible. This fight is a losing one, so I'm choosing not to fight it.

D

Deleted member 82554

Yeah, remind me how that works again? One of my more recent restrictions came after I went to class and came back to find myself muted after sitting idle extensively... can we please have logic?
It was more a stab on being to independent on this forum for interaction. If it happens again, pass time doing something else until the restriction is lifted.