• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How long do you want to live?

Tigercougar

Nothing lasts forever, one day everyone's time comes...but if you could choose, how long would you live before the grim reaper comes calling? If my spouse was to die before me, I think 70 would be enough. That's enough to have a full life, kids and grandkids if I want, to enjoy the wisdom that comes with age, but not long enough to get extremely frail and prone to illness that the oldest of the elderly are vulnerable to. Of course this is assuming I don't develop dementia or something; for the sake of this thread we'll just pretend that sort of thing doesn't exist. So, fellas, what age would you pick?

Magick

Posing school graduate
So long as my family is taken care of, I'm indifferent at that point.

Sarcastic Coffeecup

Hand. Cannot. Erase.
Until my feet can't carry me and I find myself inept doing every day tasks.

Dreaming

Back in the day I wanted to live forever, y'know reaching 100 and all the shit, and I never understood why those around me didn't understand this...

... but now, now I wouldn't want to reach 30 at this rate. I've always figured that it's better to know when it's coming and what will happen, rather than waiting for death to sneak up on you with a nasty, painful surprise

Harbinger

The Last of Us.
I dont want to get decrepid and weak, so before then, but hopefully after i've accomplished all that i want to, discover some new species, save as many species as possible, leave safe places for them when im gone, and get a girlfriend and eventually a family. Although that last one seems the most impossible -_-

Yotipo

I can see ~80 being a nice time to depart. I get to see the 2nd half of the 1st century of the 3rd millennium.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
A few centuries ago life's wellbeing often curtailed at about 40-50. Now we can expect to even live twice that long.

Suppose in a few centuries' time that the people then look back on us and lament the fact many of us could only expect perhaps 70 years without crippling disability when they are living to 200.

I want to live forever. If this body can't survive long, freeze it. If I'm able to upload my brain, so I'll do. Long life just doesn't cut it for me. I'm too curious for the future.
I'm not afraid of being completely mechanized if it prevents my death.

Last edited:

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I want to live forever. If this body can't survive long, freeze it. If I'm able to upload my brain, so I'll do. Long life just doesn't cut it for me. I'm too curious for the future.
I'm not afraid of being completely mechanized if it can prevent my death.

I think, as far as my understanding of biology goes, that freezing your body doesn't preserve it for future reanimation, just stores an intensely frost-damaged version of your corpse.

I also want to live forever, although I agknowledge this is impossible.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
Until I get Alzheimers.

badlands

drunken pirate
until i become old

Azure

100% organic vegan hubbas
i figure the day will come when i realize that there isnt much time left, and i will set out on my end of life quest. sell everything, load up my pack, and take to the road. then it will be time to live or die, and when it comes i will be expecting it. or not. either way it'll finally be over. 80 would be nice, but with what ive done to my body, probably 50 is more likely.

DarthLeopard

Has lost his Soul
Till im 25

I think, as far as my understanding of biology goes, that freezing your body doesn't preserve it for future reanimation, just stores an intensely frost-damaged version of your corpse.
You're cooled to a temperature in which the frozen water in cells doesn't rupture cells, plus the blood is replaced with a cooling liquid. The only thing it does is slow activity in your body by a lot, and delaying body decay, in hope that revival in the future will be possible. There is no cure for it, and it is only done after death.

We have already read images in people's minds, which is a crucial step in understanding processes of the brain through electronic machinery, a step that will eventually store our minds, and perhaps create another consciousness of us, inside a computer.
There are organisms with fast regrowth such as Hydra.
I've read about an organism that can "roll back" into it's earlier stages in life if it encounters harsh area conditions, shielding it from death by exterior damage and interior damage.
Cloning is at its first steps but has open room for research.
Lengthening the telomere may fake longer cell life, but is known to turn normal cells into cancerous cells.

It is no longer a question of "if". We will reach it. The only question is, whether we'll still be alive when it happens.