• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How long do you want to live?

Rilvor

Formal when angry
I don't know, honestly. I've always wanted to live as long as there was new knowledge to learn and more of the universe to see. I've always envied the concept of cyborgs, and with recent news regarding them and the movements of a Cyborg Rights Society already made it seems to be the logical step for humanity. I well understand the limits of the flesh, and am fine with the concept of machinery replacements.

But at the same time, I know my partner is not the same and if I were to expect such extensions for myself I'm not sure what life will be like...

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
You're cooled to a temperature in which the frozen water in cells doesn't rupture cells, plus the blood is replaced with a cooling liquid. The only thing it does is slow activity in your body by a lot, and delaying body decay, in hope that revival in the future will be possible. There is no cure for it, and it is only done after death.

We have already read images in people's minds, which is a crucial step in understanding processes of the brain through electronic machinery, a step that will eventually store our minds, and perhaps create another consciousness of us, inside a computer.
There are organisms with fast regrowth such as Hydra.
I've read about an organism that can "roll back" into it's earlier stages in life if it encounters harsh area conditions, shielding it from death by exterior damage and interior damage.
Cloning is at its first steps but has open room for research.
Lengthening the telomere may fake longer cell life, but is known to turn normal cells into cancerous cells.

It is no longer a question of "if". We will reach it. The only question is, whether we'll still be alive when it happens.

Most likely not.

And I'll highlight a different between 'forever' and 'indefinite' life.

Indefinite life is possible, some creatures already do not have definitive life expectancies [either that or their life expectancies simply aren't known I guess], however endless life is not. Living creatures radiate disorder in order to maintain their own very ordered tissues. Order to consume will continue to become scarcer in the universe until it is no longer viable to support life.

Rasly

Banned
Banned
Forever, i don't know why anyone would want any less then that.

Also, some scientists say, that even people that are already alive, may reach a life span of 160 years, and this is good news for me, beause people would have more time to gain knowlage and use it, maybe even enough to bring humanity to next level. Well it is not a sure thing, but it is something.

Last edited:
Most likely not.

And I'll highlight a different between 'forever' and 'indefinite' life.

Indefinite life is possible, some creatures already do not have definitive life expectancies [either that or their life expectancies simply aren't known I guess], however endless life is not. Living creatures radiate disorder in order to maintain their own very ordered tissues. Order to consume will continue to become scarcer in the universe until it is no longer viable to support life.

Until the universe freezes over we will most likely have enough time to develop compression and rift technology in order to evacuate this universe.
Humanity will most likely be mechanical then, for the sole purpose of surviving the harsh cold and remaining intact. We won't really be alive then, though... Conscious, but not alive.
Forever's meaning is "until we get to the next universe".

We cannot advance to such technology with child's play such as "countries" or "currency". I hope to see the end of the two until the end of my days, otherwise my sacred future will be dystopian.

-={Dracimonde}=-

Lord of Darkness
I only want to live as long as my soul mate. To spend my entire life with him would be more than i could ever ask for.

Last edited:

Kit H. Ruppell

Exterminieren! Exterminieren!
As long as I can remain lucid and continent.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
Until I get Alzheimers.

Ditto. I actually come from families that always tend to get that...so unless they come up with a cure sometime before I turn 70...>.< I'll probably get it. It's very depressing to see people waste away and almost completely change into another person. It's almost as if they have already died that way.

But if the body never wasted away, I wouldn't mind living forever. Life is full of change. Things go from good to bad in a constant cycle and if you've got all the time in the world, you'll have a lot to look forward to.

Percy

o-o
I'd like to live as long as I can while still living comfortably. If I were old and seriously ill, with no chance at getting better, I'd rather just die right then. But if I were healthy, the sky's the limit.

Demensa

Characterless sack of potatoes
I could never say, only that it would suck to have to decide now.

It would be inconceivably terrible to say "I want to live to 80" now, and then once you get to 80, realise that you want to keep living.

As of right now, I'm still one of those "Live-forever-transhumanism-YEAH!" people so I would say I want to live until whatever universe we are in can no longer support life forms.

DrDingo

Moved to phoenix.corvidae.org with the others
Maybe by that time scientists may have come up with ways to treat the sorts of illnesses and ailments that come with old age. So the elderly generation in 60 years or so might be generally healthier than the generation 100 years before it. So it depends a bit on how advanced technology and medicine is by that time.

Bambi

I'd love to live long.

However I don't think that will happen as much as I'd like it to.

benignBiotic

Banned
Banned
I'm not planning on starting a family. I'll probably be done with life when my youth starts to go and my body starts to slip.

Butters Shikkon

Patron Saint of Queers
I'm not planning on starting a family. I'll probably be done with life when my youth starts to go and my body starts to slip.

I know its hard to imagine, but you can still enjoy stuff into old age. I used to work with the elderly at a retirement village and they still played games, went places (some of them had to have people drive them mind you), and (believe it or not) had sex.

So don't give up so fast.

Fallowfox

Are we moomin, or are we dancer?
I know its hard to imagine, but you can still enjoy stuff into old age. I used to work with the elderly at a retirement village and they still played games, went places (some of them had to have people drive them mind you), and (believe it or not) had sex.

So don't give up so fast.

Unfortunately, as a youth, this thought is enough to persuade me I don't want to live into old age.

Tigercougar

I've never been the kind of person to fear getting old. Becoming DECREPIT is one thing, but I actually kind of look forward to my golden years. By then, I'll have gained experiences, met people, went through struggles and, more to the point, survived them, so I can go through the rest of my life with a confidence that was sorely lacking in me when I was younger. I think it'll be cool when I can give a younger person genuine advice as to how to get through life.

Ranguvar

Probably until I can't control my bowel movements. When that happens you can go ahead and smother me while I sleep. Do worry, I will leave some change under the pillow you will use to murder me.