• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How long do you want to live?

Macxi

I make comics!
Honestly, I'm not sure what scares me more - still living at a terribly old age, or dying.

I'll take whatever fate throws at me, but akin to what has already been said, I'd probably want to kick the bucket before I become too old and sickly to take care of myself. Anything before that is fair game, I guess. As long as I can care for myself and make it through the day without immense suffering, I'm good until then. :V

M. LeRenard

Is not French
I would totally want to live for thousands of years if I could keep changing bodies. And not, like, change into other people, because that's creepy and makes me think of Full Metal Alchemist. I'm talking like if I get bored being a human, put my brain in a mecha-dragon-robotank with laser beam eyes for a few years. You know, something totally badass. Then maybe become a sentient spaceship after that and tool around the cosmos. If your brain was a machine, you could also give it sensors for other wavelengths of light, or have it be able to perceive more than three dimensions or something. You could expand your worldview indefinitely.

Only if there were awesome opportunities like that would I want to live forever. But living forever as a bland hominid with a bad back seriously doesn't appeal to me. If that was my only choice I'd be happy keeling over at 75 or 80, I think. Although my family history seems to be longer lived that that. My grandpa died at 96, but by then he was confused, had no short term memory, often became violent about nothing at all, and couldn't control his bowels. So 80 sounds better to me.

DarthLeopard

Has lost his Soul
I want to live till tomorrow cause it's "always a day away"

(yes I used an Annie referance)

I would totally want to live for thousands of years if I could keep changing bodies. And not, like, change into other people, because that's creepy and makes me think of Full Metal Alchemist. I'm talking like if I get bored being a human, put my brain in a mecha-dragon-robotank with laser beam eyes for a few years. You know, something totally badass. Then maybe become a sentient spaceship after that and tool around the cosmos. If your brain was a machine, you could also give it sensors for other wavelengths of light, or have it be able to perceive more than three dimensions or something. You could expand your worldview indefinitely.

Only if there were awesome opportunities like that would I want to live forever. But living forever as a bland hominid with a bad back seriously doesn't appeal to me. If that was my only choice I'd be happy keeling over at 75 or 80, I think. Although my family history seems to be longer lived that that. My grandpa died at 96, but by then he was confused, had no short term memory, often became violent about nothing at all, and couldn't control his bowels. So 80 sounds better to me.

I've heard of sentient spaceships in fiction. That's a pretty grand idea, becoming one - something that should be easily possible after we successfully upload a mind and build a software that maps every aspect of the ship.
I'm not completely sure about it, but don't we experience 4 dimensions, actually? 3 regulars + time dimension. Anyway we can't possibly perceive more dimensions then there are in this universe, and I'm not sure about the difference a fifth or a sixth dimension would do to us. The difference may lay in the rules of such a universe. The difference might be on a much bigger scale than ourselves, so that we won't feel anything, but how large scale movement and locations work will vary.
In conclusion, we'll have to wait more than our regular lifespan to experience that.
Plus, until then, a fix for most, if not all of your health problems will be found. That, unless you wish to say hello to a mechanical body early on. Or... say hello to a mecha-dragon-robotank early on. Same result with more lasers.

Cairn

Me? I want to live to see the day when human beings have colonized the moon or another planet. Not necessarily a large colony, but something sustainable.

That, and I want to live long enough to be able to afford a ticket to go into Earth's orbit so that I can look back at Earth and experience weightlessness.

-={Dracimonde}=-

Lord of Darkness
Me? I want to live to see the day when human beings have colonized the moon or another planet. Not necessarily a large colony, but something sustainable.

That, and I want to live long enough to be able to afford a ticket to go into Earth's orbit so that I can look back at Earth and experience weightlessness.

Now, THAT would be amazing. Especially to experience the whole thing with your soul mate. Beautiful :cry:

cillerion

Long enough to witness humanity work together to ensure our survival through science, technology and pure strength of will.

Rilvor

Formal when angry

http://www.cyborgfoundation.com/

Mike Lobo

Forever. That way I can watch as my friends and family grow old and die, and I become a cold heartless bastard who doesn't care about human life.

CaptainCool

Lady of the lake
As long as possible but definitely not forever.
Oh and not to die in a horrible way would be neat as well.

Calemeyr

Vere Adeptus
I'd want to live forever, unless all life dies except me. Unless by that point we could make life. Then life wouldn't die out...at least until the universe goes kaput. There is just so much to learn, so many interesting things. Sure, maybe I'd like eternal youth too, so no alzheimers. Pump me full of telomerase (not enough for cancer) and make me a cyborg. I'm down with that.

It's all out of curiosity. I want to see man go "faster" than light. I want to go to mars, perhaps beyond. Again, there is so much we don't know, and I don't want to miss out on man's greatest discoveries because I kick the bucket. But if I have to go, I want to do something meaningful, like work with nanotechnology. I want universal replicators made by 2100, people! Do eet!

Edit: ok, if I become a cyborg, I want the most sensitive electronics to be contained in Faraday cages. Or make them optical circuits.

Last edited:

Symlus

Sophisticated Snake
If I indeed am slowly going insane, then not too long. I'd rather die than deal with that.
However, if it's just a part of my imagination, then as long as I have the ability to remember, then I wouldn't mind living well into my 90's.

I just need to procreate. I want to see my children grow up, see my grandchildren. If I can have those, then I could die happily.

-={Dracimonde}=-

Lord of Darkness
Forever. That way I can watch as my friends and family grow old and die, and I become a cold heartless bastard who doesn't care about human life.

Huh. That's strange. For some reason I get the feeling that what you said is the exact opposite of what I said.

Troll much? :V

Kosdu

I say until my duty to this world and it's peoples are done.

I want to help people before I die. And for goodness sake, let me die after my family.

Short lives or mental deterioration runs in my family too.

M. LeRenard

Is not French
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.

Afterimage said:
Anyway we can't possibly perceive more dimensions then there are in this universe, and I'm not sure about the difference a fifth or a sixth dimension would do to us.
I'm just speaking in the mathematical sense. In other words, be able to actually visualize a 6-dimensional hypersphere or something like that. I think it would come in handy for certain things.

Furcade

Intermittent Poster
I say until my duty to this world and it's peoples are done.

I want to help people before I die.

Yeah, I agree. And other than that, I don't care. I mean, I do care, but numbers don't mean anything.

My great grandfather is 91 and is slowly dying in front of my eyes from cancer of the everything and related deterioration (far too slowly), but I know another guy who's 89 and is awesomely healthy (relatively). So if I say "I want to live until 90", I could end up a decaying vegetable who doesn't recognise his family or I could be a badass, uber-fit war veteran. And it's not up to me to decide which, really. No matter how hard I try to not be, I could still end up like the former. So I will say that I will be ready to die when "it's my time." Which will be the time that I die.

So whenever's cool, basically. Probably not anytime terribly soon, though :S

Ames

it smells like dust and moon light
I can imagine that living forever beyond the eventual heat death of the universe would suck immensely.

S

Sar

According to BBC, I am forced to live till I am 74/75 because I lived my life in Glasgow. I want to live longer.
What I will do is move to Japan when I am 72 so I get an extra decade of my life.