• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How long have you been in the fandom for?

How long have you been in the fandom for?

• Total voters

RayO_ElGatubelo

My gif animation doesn't work

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
Not enough, be more specific! :3

You want specifics? You got 'em:

I first heard about the fandom around 1988/89 (who remembers anymore?) when I got an invitation out of the blue to a 'Furry Party' at the Philcon (Philadelphia) science fiction convention. I instantly, instinctively knew what I was looking at & knew I belonged there.

I started going to Philcons to hang out with the furry contingent, then to ConFurence and Anthrocon once the fandom was big enough to support its own conventions.

That's right youngsters - the fur scene got rolling around the mid/late 1980s... and I was there, fighting off the dinosaurs and the cro-magnons (who were pretty furry in their own right).

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority
You want specifics? You got 'em:

I first heard about the fandom around 1988/89 (who remembers anymore?) when I got an invitation out of the blue to a 'Furry Party' at the Philcon (Philadelphia) science fiction convention. I instantly, instinctively knew what I was looking at & knew I belonged there.

I started going to Philcons to hang out with the furry contingent, then to ConFurence and Anthrocon once the fandom was big enough to support its own conventions.

That's right youngsters - the fur scene got rolling around the mid/late 1980s... and I was there, fighting off the dinosaurs and the cro-magnons (who were pretty furry in their own right).
It actually ranges back to the 70's I think. I'd do anything to travel back to those days when furry fandom was kewl.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
Um... Well, define "in the fandom."

Furryness... that might just be life long. Knowing what the furry fandom is, 4 or something years. Identifying myself as a furry, a little less than that. Participating in the fandom, a year tops.

Irreverent

Waaaaaiiit a minute now... I thought you only discovered this fairly recently?

The forums, sure. I remember when alt.fan.furry first showed up in my tRN back in '93. Its only recently that I've reconnected with it. And I've had an otter totem for just about forever. Although on sober second thought (yeah, like that would happen ) a totem might be closer to otherkin than furry.

Meh, I just like the art.

ToeClaws

PEBKAC exterminator
The forums, sure. I remember when alt.fan.furry first showed up in my tRN back in '93. Its only recently that I've reconnected with it. And I've had an otter totem for just about forever. Although on sober second thought (yeah, like that would happen ) a totem might be closer to otherkin than furry.

Meh, I just like the art.

Ahhhh... wow, didn't realize there was a feed on it back then. Nice.

JoeStrike

WAY older than Mr. Black
It actually ranges back to the 70's I think. I'd do anything to travel back to those days when furry fandom was kewl.

You mean we were actually cool at some point? Geez, that one got right by me...

My research has only been able to trace it back to the mid 80's when it first picked up the name 'furry.' Before that whatever anthro fandom there was was probably dispersed thruout the sci-fi/fantasy/comics/anime realms - wanderingly aimlessly and namelessly through harsh forbidding voids of non-existence... somebody please slap me when I start talking like this, okay?

I've always been how I am today. I've been drawing kitty people and other characters since I could manage to scribble out something on paper. Always acted and felt like acting more like a purring, fluffy cat in private because I enjoy being around cats so much, but if the question was, 'when did you join the internet social network of furs?' that would be last year, april, when I decided to join FA after pondering about it for a while.

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority
You mean we were actually cool at some point? Geez, that one got right by me...

My research has only been able to trace it back to the mid 80's when it first picked up the name 'furry.' Before that whatever anthro fandom there was was probably dispersed thruout the sci-fi/fantasy/comics/anime realms - wanderingly aimlessly and namelessly through harsh forbidding voids of non-existence... somebody please slap me when I start talking like this, okay?
What I meant is that they were a helluva lot cooler then than they are now.

Personally the earliest trace of furry fandom I've found is Vootie, which ranges back to 1976. But it was called "funny animal fandom" at the time, so I dunno if that counts.

One of the founders, Ken Fletcher, is actually a member of the FA main site.

Stargazer Bleu

2b forgot is worse than death
Been in the fandom for over 9 years.

I known about the fandom before the internet.
Not much about it then, but I knew of it.

Before the internet actualy came around. I had a old 8088 pc(well very new then, one of the first internal HDD home PCs a wopping 10 mhz)
I visited furry bulitin boards. Almost no art that way then. Well just computer generated pics which were super simple shapes, but recognizable barely.

TreacleFox

dem murrs
Depends what you mean... I have liked antro animals since I was like 3, but I only learnt of the fandom a bit more then a year ago. :/

I have also had my "dragon youtube" account for 2 years and still didn't know what furry was.

GraemeLion

What I meant is that they were a helluva lot cooler then than they are now.

Personally the earliest trace of furry fandom I've found is Vootie, which ranges back to 1976. But it was called "funny animal fandom" at the time, so I dunno if that counts.

One of the founders, Ken Fletcher, is actually a member of the FA main site.

They weren't cooler then. It was just about the same. Just more underground. But society as a whole has grown more open. Remember, back then, there was no internet. So if you were in the right place, it was as crazy as it is now.

shadowchaser

Pushed The Button
about 3 or 4 hours now?

Guenwhyvar

I've probably been furry since I was 5 or 6, but didn't know it was called "furry" until someone told me there were others like me 10 years ago.

Irreverent

Ahhhh... wow, didn't realize there was a feed on it back then. Nice.

To be fair, it wasn't really the fandom back then, its was just usenet nerds that liked mostly furry stories....pre-DSL, there wasn't a lot of art. Just bad scfi and some really dull erotica.

PenningtontheSkunk

What is this internet?
Really in the fandom then 3 1/2 years.

Online with others then 1 year and some months.