• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How many furries have Autism/ADHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyTheOtter

The Autistic Otter
Somehow at 3 years old I was diagnosed ADD. To this day no one can tell me HOW?!! 3 years are always hyper and shit, not even stupid tv shows can keep their attention. So it resulted in my entire childhood and early teen years of being a medical guinea pig to try all the fun new pills!

I... I don't remember much of life life, even after stopping I suffer from severe memory loss, some days it's overwhelming to realize I can't remember what I even did that morning. I hope I provided good test data on all those stupid fucking pills.
I can relate to this as far as pills go.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
I'm an ordinary dude really. Used to have memory issues and an IEP up until 7th grade, coincidentally the same date I grew out of asthma.

Other than that, I fell into this fandom just by being lonely, and my preoccupation with this and other online groups lend a hand in two directions; a perspective on adulthood, and self interests that still don't make me relatable.

Khazius

The Fruit Bat
I have not been diagnosed with any form of autism, but I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was like 7, but when I switched doctors he said "Nah bruh" basically. Other than that im pretty normal except my pancreas is a jerk (Type 1 diabetic).

Sarachaga

Definitely not a lizard
No autism or ADHD here. I've just got a panic disorder x.x

Get out of your damn bed. Insomnia can be accidentally trained by trying to fall asleep. If you know laying isn't working in 10 minutes, do pushups, a stairmaster, or laundry, then try to sleep on a different position or different surface. I used to think this was bullshit advice until I realized the best sleep I had was always single night hotel stays, housesitting, couch surfing, etc. Unfamiliar territory. Sleep on the floor on occasion, or a hammock or something to keep your bed from being familiar. Don't do things while laying in bed, even your phone or reading.
That's actually great advice. I had a tendency to insomnia, but adopting this kind of behavior helped me overcome it

Badger94

I am the world's forgotten boy

Badger94

I am the world's forgotten boy
Taking meds to fight addiction is kind of ironic, thinking about it
I just realized you were replying to my post, as I had forgotten I posted on this thread. Space cadet. Well anyways, it does seem ironic, but most things in life are. Its helped me and im doing better than I ever have. It isnt just drugs I use to combat my addicition though, its combined with a list of other things Ive done to make positive changes. The end. Thankyou.

AsheSkyler

Feathered Jester
Medical personnel and people with psychology degrees have told me I an autistic and OCD, but never in a clinical setting with an official diagnosis. So yay for the official unofficial diagnosis.

Brooks Dotson

Lost in Transition
I have Autism and it sucks really, as it really has been the only reason why i don't socialize a whole lot, if at all ):

Zipline_Orange

Banned
Banned
ADHD does not exist. Some people can easily concentrate, some are more easily distracted, a lot fall in between, it's just a natural variation.
Autism is very rear, so it does not exist too.

I have Autism and it sucks really, as it really has been the only reason why i don't socialize a whole lot, if at all ):

Someone planted this dumb idea that he's somehow deficient and look what we have now. Being good with people is a skill, you have to learn and you will learn it only by socializing. Again some people are naturally talented, some are hard learners, a lot fall in between.

Zipline_Orange

Banned
Banned
Still doesn't mean gold isn't out there

You don't have to take it literally. What I mean it's very unlikely you will have autism even if you're displaying symptoms, since it's so rear. Confirmation bias is another very important thing to consider which is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities

Generic Fox

King of Autotune
No mental illness, straight, have social life, have job.

No wonder I'm such a misfit among furries.

L

Leoni Zheitk

ADHD does not exist. Some people can easily concentrate, some are more easily distracted, a lot fall in between, it's just a natural variation.
Autism is very rear, so it does not exist too.
images

Seriously, just ask any psychologist and I'm pretty sure they will disagree with you.

Someone planted this dumb idea that he's somehow deficient and look what we have now. Being good with people is a skill, you have to learn and you will learn it only by socializing. Again some people are naturally talented, some are hard learners, a lot fall in between.
[/QUOTE]
True, but that's what we call disabilities. If a person has certain symptoms such as "a mental condition, present from early childhood, characterized by difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts" then that would be considered autistic; people who have a noticeably harder time at achieving that skill. It's easier to say I have autism rather than explain why you can't socialize as well as others.

You don't have to take it literally. What I mean it's very unlikely you will have autism even if you're displaying symptoms, since it's so rear. Confirmation bias is another very important thing to consider which is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms one's preexisting beliefs or hypotheses, while giving disproportionately less consideration to alternative possibilities

So... it's like rounding 0.3 to 0?
Sure I guess you could do that, but that literally just means you're saying the majority of the population don't have mental disabilities, which is true. It's still there though: say you have a cell that could very potentially make you sick, it's just one cell, that doesn't mean you shouldn't acknowledge it. (Disclaimer: This comparison is not to be saying that people that have mental issues are like diseased cells, I'm just using the comparison to prove what is noticed as out-of-the-ordinary and what isn't.)
Also it's "rare", not "rear".

quoting_mungo

As long as they're included in the DSM or other equivalent diagnostic manuals (since not all countries use the same ones), arguing against the existence of any given condition is pretty futile. That does not mean any given individual has to agree with or embrace a diagnosis they're given (hey, sometimes doctors can be wrong!), but refusing to acknowledge someone else's diagnosis if they're comfortable with it themselves is pretty rude. So at least for the purposes of this thread, I'm strongly suggesting we all agree that the legitimacy of ADHD and autism/autism spectrum disorders is not up for debate. If you want to discuss whether or not they exist or are over-diagnosed (which is a perfectly legitimate topic!), make a thread for that, so this one does not derail further.

I've got a definite diagnosis of depression and some form of anxiety disorder (most likely social anxiety/social phobia), and strongly suspect I've also got chronic fatigue as a result of trying to cope with those on my own for way too long before getting help. (Don't do what I did, kids! If you feel like your anxieties are impacting your quality of life or preventing you from doing things you want or need to do, consult a mental health professional if at all possible!) It sucks, but atidepressants and having wonderful, supportive partners make it livable.

BellCat

Never diagnosed with Autism, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out I have some mild form of it.

I have severe clinical depression, but meds take it from severe to mild as long as I remember to take them.

I was told by teachers that I had ADD or ADHD as a kid, but according to teachers, everyone who daydreams or gets jittery in class has those and needs Ritalin. I'm super thankful that my parents fought back and told them "it's called being a kid". Not trying to invalidate the condition, but we do throw the term around a bit too much imho.

Status
Not open for further replies.