• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How many furries know what Bitcoin is?

Do you know what Bitcoin is?

• Yes.

• I have heard of it but don't really know much.

• Isn't it like, a dark web thing?

• Never heard of it.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Foxy Emy

Two the Frog for a Tad Longer.... Get it... Tad...

Foxy Emy

Let me guess cus censored fake virus

i know what it is.. its real

Possibly. But also because PayPal is nomming on them right now and buying them up in droves.

EmpressCiela

The Empress has Returned
Funnily enough, I thought it was a joke thing until I got into cybersecurity/hacking in earnest and had to buy some tools with only that. My mentor at the tie then explained it to me, and now I'm considering delving into that industry, since it intersects with my passion for cybersecurity and cryptography, even though I'm still learning.

WitherSDL

CEO of SDL
I was curious about how much the furry fandom intersects with the world of blockchain tech.

Feel free to elaborate on your responses and/or ask me any questions you may have about it.
I know that my $200 in bitcoin is now worth $600 and as soon as I get my stimulus it's going straight into bitcoin because the dollar is fucked.

FoxesYummy

foxoxofofofoxfxo
The only times I've heard of it before now were people making fun of it and ransomwares having bitcoin addresses in them.

Rassah

I've been in the Bitcoin industry for about a decade now, worked in lots of different crypto related jobs and businesses, made a lot of high-level connections that let me know what's going on, and have been interviewed as an expert/authority on this subject many times (here's the most recent one
). Lucky for me, I understood what it is and what the prospects are back when the price was only about $6. So I am not at all surprised about this price, although I was hoping that Bitcoin would have been here years earlier. I still find it unfortunate that I have been explaining it to people on this forum and trying to convince them to invest in it since as far back as 2014, but most still dismissed it as just fake magic internet money.

I just know it as the anonymous currency people use to purchase some delicious cheese pizza on the dark web.

KimberVaile

Officially elected and actual ruler of FAF
I have a bit invested in it and the value has so far appreciated pretty well. With how much it has taken off, I wonder if we'll see crypto currency upend the technological world the same way the internet did.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
I was curious about how much the furry fandom intersects with the world of blockchain tech.

Feel free to elaborate on your responses and/or ask me any questions you may have about it.

Yes, I am aware of it. To use it in my opinion is currently insane.

It's basically a currency backed by absolutely nothing, so it's as stable as the whims of the owner of that particular chain and how strong their memory is of the passwords if they lose the hard drives (worst-case to be fair). There is no real oversight from anyone, and no actual protection from any gouvernments in the case of theft or even standardization of worth...as the whole point of it was to get away from gouvernment money. Therefore when you lose your real money from it, you will have no legal options at all. And it's still taxable as you have to convert to real money sometime...the grocery store isn't going to take bitcoin for bread and milk anytime soon.

You'd be better off trading your money for Pokemon cards...at least their value is backed by millions of fans agreeing on the card's value.

Rassah

I wonder if we'll see crypto currency upend the technological world the same way the internet did.

We're working on it ;)

@Mambi You're right, it's not for people like you.

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
Ah, Bitcoin. Got interested in it when it hit $100 and started trading more seriously. Used to mine Litecoin and Bitcoin and still have my 3 Antminer S3+. Kind of want to sell them, though at this point it's kinda more about nostalgia than anything. I wonder how much they'll sell for seeing as I've made back some 3x their value..

Foxy Emy

Ah, Bitcoin. Got interested in it when it hit $100 and started trading more seriously. Used to mine Litecoin and Bitcoin and still have my 3 Antminer S3+. Kind of want to sell them, though at this point it's kinda more about nostalgia than anything. I wonder how much they'll sell for seeing as I've made back some 3x their value..

BTC is going for $32000 per pop today. If you are sitting on a little more than 3 BTC still, you got yourself a cool $100 grand. Do you know what kind of fur suit you could buy with that money?

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
BTC is going for $32000 per pop today. If you are sitting on a little more than 3 BTC still, you got yourself a cool $100 grand. Do you know what kind of fur suit you could buy with that money?
Sadly I don't have much Bitcoin anymore. I only have like 0.1 currently. Not going to invest any more than that.

If I still had the BTC I used to trade in however.. I'd be a millionaire now.

Foxy Emy

Yes, I am aware of it. To use it in my opinion is currently insane.

It's basically a currency backed by absolutely nothing, so it's as stable as the whims of the owner of that particular chain and how strong their memory is of the passwords if they lose the hard drives (worst-case to be fair). There is no real oversight from anyone, and no actual protection from any gouvernments in the case of theft or even standardization of worth...as the whole point of it was to get away from gouvernment money. Therefore when you lose your real money from it, you will have no legal options at all. And it's still taxable as you have to convert to real money sometime...the grocery store isn't going to take bitcoin for bread and milk anytime soon.

You'd be better off trading your money for Pokemon cards...at least their value is backed by millions of fans agreeing on the card's value.

It is more like an asset than a currency and the price moves because millions of people agree it has value.

I would NOT treat anything but a stable value coin like a currency.

Foxy Emy

Sadly I don't have much Bitcoin anymore. I only have like 0.1 currently. Not going to invest any more than that.

If I still had the BTC I used to trade in however.. I'd be a millionaire now.

Aww... you were referring to selling the miners.

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
Aww... you were referring to selling the miners.
Ye. I spent like $300 on them during a sale. Easily made over $1000 from them. Still work, but my router's a bitch and won't allow me to mine anymore.

Foxy Emy

Ye. I spent like $300 on them during a sale. Easily made over $1000 from them. Still work, but my router's a bitch and won't allow me to mine anymore.

Nice!

I have played around with mining but only altcoins that my GPU can get something with.

Been mining Gridcoin by folding proteins for COVID research.

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
Nice!

I have played around with mining but only altcoins that my GPU can get something with.

Been mining Gridcoin by folding proteins for COVID research.
Oh? Earning anything from it?

Foxy Emy

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
Just enough to offset electricity costs. It is mostly volunteer.
What GPU(s) are you using? With a decent to high-end one you could actually earn money from it too. Two birds with one stone, as it were.

Foxy Emy

What GPU(s) are you using? With a decent to high-end one you could actually earn money from it too. Two birds with one stone, as it were.

Haha. The one GeForce GTX 1080 in my gaming laptop. If I wanted to make money with it, I would need to selectively chose coins I thought were undermined and undervalued.

Yakamaru

Evil Woffer-chan
Haha. The one GeForce GTX 1080 in my gaming laptop. If I wanted to make money with it, I would need to selectively chose coins I thought were undermined and undervalued.
Ah, nice. The 1080 is a good card for gaming despite getting a little old.