• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How many furries know what Bitcoin is?

Do you know what Bitcoin is?

• Yes.

• I have heard of it but don't really know much.

• Isn't it like, a dark web thing?

• Never heard of it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bitcoin itself are not harming the eco system tho, miners are, and some of them are already working to fix that, iirc there's even an italian crypto farm that only uses hydroelectric energy to farm their stuff.

That being said there's also NFTs, these aren't quite the same as bitcoin and the like, these are a type of "token". Unlike Bitcoin NFTs have been serialized and can be tracked Individually, that's why they require stupid amounts of energy to do anything, no one but stupid hollywood celebrities and brands actually like these since they are just a novelty

Yakamaru

Shai'Hulud Whisperer. Or a sand hobo
...Bitcoin is damaging the ecosystem? What?

Raever

Chaotic Neutral Wreckage
...Bitcoin is damaging the ecosystem? What?

They might mean the Economy...?
It could've been a mistake in wording.
But hell if I know lol.

Mambi

Fun loving kitty cat
@Yakamaru ...Bitcoin is damaging the ecosystem? What?

But hell if I know lol.

Data-mining uses a lot of computer power in server farms...and those suck up a lot of electricity and space, which tends to be bad for the environment.

Each time a coin is mined it gets harder and harder to mine the next and since miners are in a race against each other they buy a lot of computers to increase processing speed, this in turn increases electricity consumption

Edit:
But like i said, some people are already working on fixing this, the bigger problem right now are NFTs

Yakamaru

Shai'Hulud Whisperer. Or a sand hobo
But hell if I know lol.
Hell if I know either. Kinda sounds like jealousy because people are becoming millionaires off of it, or the very least decently richer. And people didn't jump on it and as such are losing out on it. Hell, I am now sitting at some 250% earnings on these investments.

The old don't like competition. Bitcoin and the wallet system is a competition with the banks and various other systems, and they don't like that very much.

MechaMegs

@Yakamaru ...Bitcoin is damaging the ecosystem? What?

Data-mining uses a lot of computer power in server farms...and those suck up a lot of electricity and space, which tends to be bad for the environment.
Yes the consumption of resources in the further increase in demand of components for the miner rigs to the space used up for it to the power consumed from start to end.