• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How much does Anthrocon cost?

Sylox

boi...chill out!
So I'm going to AC next year and am planning ahead of time so I can budget everything out. Can somebody tell me how much it costs overall? I don't really have to worry about travel because I can drive to Pittsburgh, but everything else I need to plan for, so can I get an estimate?

Last edited:

Half-Note

Well, as you can see, the almighty Kalmor has gracefully offered a few links to the AC homepages already that would help point you in the general direction.

Say you pay 200 USD for gas from MD to PA. That's that. Then there's a hotel room, the con ticket, food, spending money.

Rough estimate would be 1000-2000 USD (which is what plane tickets alone will cost for me),

Half-Note

Hehe I've been saving up since March dude. I just gotta pay for my partial and fund grad school as well. I think I'll have enough by next year.
Fursuits are overrated. Skip getting one and you'll be guaranteed to have enough.

Kazolas

Let's do some math, boys!
Basic Admission: $60
Gas: For me I would estimate ~$50 there and back maybe. I live about 40min south of you Sylox so it should be pretty close in price (my car gets ~30mpg)
Hotel: $173/night. Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights. $519 (I'm not sure if that 173 includes tax or not)
Merchandise: Now, you'll probably want to buy something at the con, right? Let's just reserve $100 for that. It's a modest amount, not too little, not too much.
Food: If you're being smart and spending right I would think $25/day sounds reasonable but let's say $100 for the weekend. Maybe up to $150?

All of that adds up to about $879. Of course, that can EASILY go way up =P
Finding someone to room with will split that hotel cost significantly. My trip to FurTheMore cost me about $400 (Hotel cost was split in half).

Last edited:

Sylox

boi...chill out!
Let's do some math, boys!
Basic Admission: $60
Gas: For me I would estimate ~$50 there and back maybe. I live about 40min south of you Sylox so it should be pretty close in price (my car gets ~30mpg)
Hotel: $173/night. Thursday, Friday, Saturday nights. $519 (I'm not sure if that 173 includes tax or not)
Merchandise: Now, you'll probably want to buy something at the con, right? Let's just reserve $100 for that. It's a modest amount, not too little, not too much.
Food: If you're being smart and spending right I would think $25/day sounds reasonable but let's say $100 for the weekend. Maybe up to $150?

All of that adds up to about $879. Of course, that can EASILY go way up =P
Finding someone to room with will split that hotel cost significantly. My trip to FurTheMore cost me about $400 (Hotel cost was split in half).

Thanks for this Kaz.

Half-Note

Thanks for this Kaz.
I wouldn't be so sure about taking advice from Kazolas. He has rabies and he leaves you for someone else just because you found someone else to be with. I mean, seriously. What kind of monster would refuse to be your backup plan?

Rassah

Best, or most frequent I've done: $500
Worst I've done, when I stayed at the actual con hotel and ate out in nice places all the time: $750

That doesn't include what I spent on art prints though. It really depends on how frugal you want to be. If you get a place at one of the nearby hotels, share the room and costs with a roommate, and don't eat out at fancy restaurants with other groups of furs (maybe even buy stuff to make lunch with in your own room), you could probably even squeeze it in to under $350.

(Conversely, my two week Italy trip just cost me $7,900. Ouch! :cry:)

LazerMaster5

Lost in the Static
If you don't mind travel, stay at a hotel outside of the city. The farther from downtown, the less pricey and busy the hotels are. I remember several years ago when my parents and I stayed in Pittsburgh for a few days, and we stayed in a place several minutes from downtown. Of course, I live 2.5 hours away from Pittsburgh, so travel is not a concern for me. Out of curiosity, what kind of merch is sold at AC?

Student

Anthrosexual
If you don't mind travel, stay at a hotel outside of the city. The farther from downtown, the less pricey and busy the hotels are.

Respectfully disagree. I did this last year. Ended up paying more for parking and gas. It was also a difficulty not to have a "base of operations" near the con. Plus it was a hassle and time consuming to have to drive in and out of town every day (especially if I quickly wanted to get something during the day from my hotel, like a camera battery). Was not worth it.

This year I stayed more centrally with a friend. That was a much better option. You're going to AC to have fun, not to be inconvenienced. Splurge on the more expensive and closer place.

Kosdu

Wow, didn't realize the mainstream cons were so expensive.

The one out here is like $60 admission, $10 a night for a camping spot, the gas and food just depends.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
Definitely stay as close as you can (especially since you're fursuiting). I couldn't stay at con at my last so I had to wear my fursuit on the shuttle. It's just difficult to do that, lol.

I'm starting to make plans for AC next year but I have relatives in the city and they already said I can visit so my main expenses willl be airfaire, food, purchases, con tickets, and fursuit shipping (not going to even bother putting my fursuits on the plane, lol).

Going to set aside like 2k for the whole trip.

Misomie

Lazy Artist
You guys are making me feel broke.

I guess making about 12k a year does that to you

I have part time minimum wage, but my cost of living is super low so I have an excess for saving. Plus I sell stuff I don't need anymore. That helps as well.

Erzyal

Keeper of useless information
gods I could never afford this. I live paycheck to paycheck and work a full time job...

damn

Yarra

Fuzzball
This was really helpful, thanks to all. I’m definitely going to AC next year and will be fully equipped with suit.

What sucks is I just learned of Fur the More after it ended, a convention 15 minutes away from me! I can't believe I missed it. At least it’s a month sooner next year (April). For those that went, how was it? It looks like attendance doubled from 2013 - 2014. I haven't see figures for 2015.

One line item you may want to consider adding is a bar tab budget. I know I will. Looking forward to buying you crazies a round of drinks!

Aurymn

I have been to conventions before. Mind you, that was while residing in Vancouver and really didn't have to go very far.
It is a matter of fact that if you can arrange it, going as a group can keep cost down, especially if someone is driving to and from the convention location. If they are from out of state they can drop by and pick you up on their way. It is understandable that you have to compromise on their schedule for when they depart after they event concludes. It is still the option.
Another option is how many people want to be at the location of the convention while the event is active. For convenience sake. But there are always alternative places to stay. Might be a good idea if driving into the location from out of state to stay at another hotel. Should always try to find one within walking distance. Given how big the event is and how popular, may be able to find a group rate that will lower the cost of your stay.
Someone mentioned to forgo the cost of creating a fursuit that way you will be able to afford to go to the event.
My reaction ~ you are kidding right. <---- just my opinion. no one has to agree with me.

Really am sure many already know how to keep the cost of going to convention and being at a convention on a budget. Just thought I'd share what has worked well for me in the past.