• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How My 'Sona Came to Be

Tetrachroma

"nEw UsEr"
Howdy, guys! I suddenly felt inclined to explain the reasoning behind choosing a deer as my 'sona. You see, many people would choose a species that they find cool-looking or choose one that has an interesting personality. But like some others, I have a lot of personal experiences behind my choice. So sit back, grab some popcorn, and settle in, because this is a long one!

The first reason:

I've always had this subconscious connection to deer. Nothing empathetic or anything like that. Just whenever I see or think of a deer, it always feels as though I'm looking at a physical manifestation of my internal mind, the mind that is always active, though I can never seem to express.

Externally, I'm either a painfully awkward, distanced guy with social anxiety, or a loud, goofy idiot with not a single crap to give (Evidence can be found here). However internally, I feel like I'm one with nature. While an area with lots of trees will seem like nothing more than an area with lots of trees to most people, I can almost feel the life flowing through those trees. Have you ever felt or even heard a slight difference in the air when someone enters a room, even when they're being completely silent? That's what it feels like for me when surrounded by nature.

The second reason:
Some of the more visible aspects of myself can be compared to that of a deer;

For one, I'm a very relaxed, easygoing guy. I hardly get angry at things. Even in the rare events where I'm furious, it seems like relaxing and letting the situation go is the easiest thing in the world to do. That residual anger and frustration doesn't stick around if I let it sit. It just disappears. My friends often remark at how much nothing gets to me, one friend even calling me "weed-chill".

I'm thin, and very light on my toes. Despite heart disease running on both sides of my family, being diagnosed with asthma, suffering from a pneumothorax once, and being exposed to a lot of secondhand smoke in my earlier youth, I have a very healthy cardiorespiratory system. I exceed most of my peers when it comes to endurance running. I love to walk, or to run, or just anything that allows my legs to move. And on a weirder side of this one, you honestly have no idea how fast I can run in a quadrupedal position.

I always need to explore. Ever since I was old enough to go on walks around my city, it became my personal goal to see everything within a certain distance of my home. I discovered so many awesome locations, so many creepy locations (in a cool way), so many beautiful locations, everything. And the greater my endurance becomes over time, the more that distance expands, so the more opportunities for discovery I'm given. I go on a 6-mile walk almost every morning, and I know everything within a 3-mile radius of my home. Anything that I'm capable of walking to, I need to discover.

And my favorite reason:
I remember coming home from another one of my early-morning walks once the city was just beginning to wake up. I was walking right down the middle of a road when I saw a doe at the other end. We were quite a far distance away from eachother when she locked eyes with me (This was a year or two prior to becoming a furry. Just wanted to point that out in case that sounded a bit creepy). Deer are sort of uncommon where I live, so the lack of interaction usually means they'd run off at the mere sight of a human. However this one just kept standing there, even knowing very well that I was headed toward her. At some point the doe actually continued her path in my direction. Neither of us stopped or attempted to take a different route, we just kept to our own paths at a delicate pace.

Eventually the inevitable happened, and we walked right past eachother. Like, we must've been 10ft away. If my memory serves correct, it was pretty cold that morning and I was close enough to actually see her breath! What I liked the most about that experience though, wasn't that I got that close to a deer, but rather it didn't feel like I was passing a wild animal in the slightest. It felt like we were making some kind of strong connection.What that connection was is anybody's guess, but I definitely felt like we understood eachother in that one moment.

So these are the reasons why I chose a deer as my 'sona. Perhaps you could even say it's my spirit animal of sorts. I'd like to hear your guys' inputs on this.

I feel you on that one. I do believe in spirit animals, totems, power animals, whatever you wish to call them. I have quite a few but I feel that since my furry...ness? is really just a costuming/artistry hobby for me that it wouldn't feel right in my case that I try to represent that connection to just anybody. Thusly, my character is for now, a dragoncat.

Snowfurry360

The out-of-this-world kinda gal
Yeah, this is and awesome fursona dude! My fursona is Galaxy, a wolf. He/she is very self confident and outgoing with others, which is what I cannot be in real life. However, seeing as I am a minor, I can't (or really shouldn't) Get a fursuit of Him/Her. Whatever. If I hang on to this when I grow up I might just be able to save enough! Only time can tell.

Tetrachroma

"nEw UsEr"
-.- really dude? I WILL GROW OUT OF IT IN A YEAR ITS NOT WORTH DA MONEY..... No hard feelings, dude
It all depends. A lot of people hit their growth limits as minors. I pretty much did already, and I'm 16.

Snowfurry360

yeah.... I'm 13. And I know this is nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't really wanna tell my parents I'm a furry. Not yet, anyway.

Tetrachroma

"nEw UsEr"
yeah.... I'm 13. And I know this is nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't really wanna tell my parents I'm a furry. Not yet, anyway.
I'm on the same boat as you. My mom is extremely kind and open-minded, but explaining this to her would prove to be very tricky.

And I don't give a crap about what my dad would think of me if he were to find out, so at least I have that going for me.

Snowfurry360

Yeah I at least want some artwork of Galaxy. ( and at the VERY least a ref sheet, possibly made by neonsluhie cuz Galaxy was inspired/based on a wolf called nova, one of his/her previous works) Now I have SOME idea of what he/she would look like. The outer body would be a dark blue, inside (tummy, front of neck, muzzle, maybe feet) would be white, and maybe the rim/meeting points of two colors would be a light blue. (maybe some of the color would have a slight hue of purple?) but I feel like I am a long way from anything fursuit related, because even the ref sheets cost money.

Last edited:

Tetrachroma

"nEw UsEr"
Yeah I at least want some artwork of Galaxy. ( and at the VERY least a ref sheet, possibly made by neonsluhie cuz Galaxy was inspired/based on a wolf called nova, one of his/her previous works) Now I have SOME idea of what he/she would look like. The outer body would be a dark blue, inside (tummy, front of neck, muzzle, maybe feet) would be white, and maybe the rim/meeting points of two colors would be a light blue. (maybe some of the color would have a slight hue of purple?) but I feel like I am a long way from anything fursuit related, because even the ref sheets cost money.
I like your idea so far! Blue is the only color I see normally with my color blindness, so anything with lots of blue on it is very appealing to look at!

Snowfurry360

Hold on woahwoahwoahwoah not that that is a bad thing, but ur color blind??........ Cool? Dunno how to say it...

( TOPIC TRANSITION :D) Well yeah but scince I am using a few features from nova, I hope I am not coping neon slushie! Well I guess he/she won't be totally the same color and with different names and all.. Maybe if I make it female?... Ugh I don't know where I'm going with this...

I’m Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I’ve learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door.

MadKiyo

Imma bat in yer rafters
It's good. Wut does TEAL DEAR mean?

It's a funny alternative way of saying TL;DR, which means "Too long; didn't read". When you sound it out, it sounds like "teal deer".

Half

Paragon of the Flawed
Those are... some excellent reasons.
You've actually given me a bit of a headspin, and now I'm questioning my own reasoning once again.
Thank you can curse you. Indecision reigns supreme, hah.