• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How often do you recieve requests?

DragonSam98

Dragon of Chaos
Hi! New guy here. *waves awkwardly*

I've only recently begun posting my art. It's not much, just a few posters I've thrown together in source filmmaker, like a dozen, and now I've gotten several people asking for requests.

Is this normal?

*edit*

I should mention that I may have opened the floodgates by taking one of the larger requests.

Last edited:

MissNook

Hi and welcome!

Requests bring requests. It often happens that when accepting a requests other will come :) I had the same experience in fact when I posted my first art pieces ^^

Don't forget that it's up to you to see if you want to do requests or not. Don't force yourself if it's not your thing ;)

By the way, at the moment, how do you feel about taking requests? Is it something you like to do or is it more an hinder? Or maybe you see some requests that inspire you and that can be a source of ideas?

EDIT: I re-read the title, and thought maybe you wanted a real quantity of requests. If I remember well, I received something about 4 requests a month in average. I would often receive request just after posting a new art but since I didn't post that often, it was intermittent ^^

DragonSam98

Dragon of Chaos
Hi and welcome!

Requests bring requests. It often happens that when accepting a requests other will come :) I had the same experience in fact when I posted my first art pieces ^^

Don't forget that it's up to you to see if you want to do requests or not. Don't force yourself if it's not your thing ;)

By the way, at the moment, how do you feel about taking requests? Is it something you like to do or is it more an hinder? Or maybe you see some requests that inspire you and that can be a source of ideas?

EDIT: I re-read the title, and thought maybe you wanted a real quantity of requests. If I remember well, I received something about 4 requests a month in average. I would often receive request just after posting a new art but since I didn't post that often, it was intermittent ^^

I think that I was a little blindsided by getting requests all of a sudden. Like I said, I've posted about 12 pics, three of which were posted on the day I started getting requests.

I don't really have anything against requests, and a couple of them I took on because it would give me an opportunity to try some new things. Also, to break out of my comfort zone.

There are a couple of small issues I have though.

The first one is that one of the larger requests that I tried is simply a set of very generic NSFW pics. Keep in mind that I accepted this request to try something that wasn't my niche. I intend to finish what I started there but I guess my issue is that was every pic I post in the set I get one or two more requests.

I really don't want to be known as just another generic NSFW artist.

And that brings me to the big problem I have. I've posted in my profile and on all of my new postings that, I'm not accepting requests until I am finished with what I started.

And this of course does not stop me from getting messages asking if I'm taking requests.

Not to mention that a few of the people who've message me we're very pushy. In fact the person I'm working for currently hasn't thanked me once.

Don't get me wrong I don't have a problem with helping someone out or doing a request for someone. I guess I'm just a bit disappointed people just see a pic and immediately note the person who made it, without looking to see if they're taking requests or not.

It does make appreciate what the artists who do this for a living have to go through, and I've have a couple of people who were very kind and gracious.

I guess it's just one of those things that comes with the territory.

MissNook

I know exactly what you mean and this is something that made me stop requests for a long while. Now I'm only accepting requests from the forums and from friends cause I had too much bad experiences.

I think the big issue is a lack of education in fact. A lot of people imagine that an artist can do a picture in like 10 minutes and then it's good. They don't see all the work you put on practicing and they don't see that eventually a request can take you hours!!

For the taking requests thing, there are a lot of ways to avoid having too much requests. First one is to actually only say that it's a request in the description and not in the title or in the tag. That way only people who read the description will know that you're doing requests. Because yeah, some of the requesters only wants free art, they don't care about artists.

Second one is to use only the forums to take requests (the only issue is that it's often always the same people asking for requests in the forum) by posting a thread on the Art Exchange and Trades forum and without being descriptive if it's NSFW (since it's a PEGI 13 forum).

Third one, don't accept requests from pushy people. Just don't. I've done it several times, and it's not a good thing. They will try to have more and more from you and sometimes they even have friends who are exactly like them and if you accept one of their request, their friends will come ask for one too... The best thing to do in my opinion is to tell them clearly that you're not interested in making art for them and explain to them that they should be nicer to people and stop being pushy. If you feel like it, you can explain them even more clearly that making art takes time and that they're being disrespectful.

Last thing is, I'm like you, I want to finish what I start even for requests. But don't push yourself too much or make things you don't want. If you feel it's becoming a nonsense, just explain the situation to the requester in honest and objective words. Like I said to one of the requester that I wouldn't finish his piece cause I wanted to use my time for more personal projects. I said to another one that after trying to draw his request, I realized that I didn't want to draw that and I just told him clearly that I wouldn't do it. And I didn't say I was sorry, cause I wasn't. I just explained the situation.

DragonSam98

Dragon of Chaos
@MissNook

That's very good advice are you definitely going to consider some of that.

For now I'm mainly going to take requests on stuff I'm interested in working on.

Thanks for listening. It helps knowing I'm not alone! ^^

Liseran Thistle

They/Them
I have been posting my art for years now, and I have almost never actually had a legitimate audience or following. It is only recently that people have asked me for requests, and I decided to actually just open for requests all on my own awhile ago. But I got too many offers for requests, and now I know I can't do a whole lot of it for free.

Perkaholic

Character Designer
On very rare occasions do I get requests, but because of my field, it's usually aspects/themes of new character designs.

pandaAWAKE

Sleepy, Proffesional napper, Fan of fluffiness
Hey! And welcome welcome.

I think there is some truth in opening the floodgates xD
When I first started to draw agian, after years and years of not drawing at all.
I started to do requests, anything really, just to get started agian, and after just a few weeks it was like a storm of requests >.< People wrote to me, even if I had made a journal saying I would not do more.

It was a good practice for me, but I do recommend for anyone that some rules can help you avoid specific types, and some who is pushy/like to guilttrip you. And do not expect anyone saying thank you, after you using 2 months of trying your best, its kinda 50/50 who appriate it. (Imo)

So you are certainly not alone xD

Frank Gulotta

Send us your floppy
I'm blessed, most of the time people who approach me for art know where its at

Sir Thaikard

GOTTA WRITE FAST.
From a writing perspective requests are great, and by requests I mean referrals. Not having to hunt down clients or promote myself leaves me more time to write.

I'm assuming you are also asking for some form of compensation when you get these requests?