• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How old were you when you became a Furry?

Catdog

I caused a little stir.
10ish, I was a weeb but becoming a furry took an extra year or two. It happened pretty shortly after my household got (dial up) internet. Before then I just sort of considered myself an animal nerd. Had every copy of Zoobooks, could parrot all sorts of animal facts forever (my parents hated that on car rides lol). Once I found the fandom it clicked with my existing interests, so I just kinda went for it!

Hard to say because exactly when I was a furry isn't an exact date, but around 17 and 18 years old. Currently I'm 19. I only really got into it in the past year.

MaelstromEyre

Slippery When Wet
I'm in my 40s now, but I think I've always been a furry. I grew up preferring stories about animals, or animal characters. I preferred plush toys to dolls. I preferred animal figurines to action figures or Barbie dolls. I read stories and watched movies where animals were characters, not just "props." When I played make-believe with friends, I wanted to be some sort of animal while they all wanted to be princesses and teachers. When I went to the pool, I pretended I was a dolphin or otter.
It was always just part of who I am, long before I even knew the fandom existed.

Leadhoof

Niche Internet Microcelebrity
I had to have been around 12 or 13 when I started drawing myself as an anthro bird, but I didn't really consider myself a part of the fandom until last year.

Niru the Husky

Can easily be persuaded with bacon...
15 ,-,

MalibuCat

Lioness, beach bum
10ish, I was a weeb but becoming a furry took an extra year or two. It happened pretty shortly after my household got (dial up) internet. Before then I just sort of considered myself an animal nerd. Had every copy of Zoobooks, could parrot all sorts of animal facts forever (my parents hated that on car rides lol). Once I found the fandom it clicked with my existing interests, so I just kinda went for it!

That was totally me! I had every Zoobook and was a talking animal encyclopedia. Always being that annoying person who corrected people when they called leopard spots "cheetah print", etc, lol.

Catdog

I caused a little stir.
That was totally me! I had every Zoobook and was a talking animal encyclopedia. Always being that annoying person who corrected people when they called leopard spots "cheetah print", etc, lol.
ommmgg same. I was also the kid that went "ummm actually ostriches don't bury their heads in the sand" and my parents hated it lmao. I am still I guess but to a lesser extent :p

MalibuCat

Lioness, beach bum
ommmgg same. I was also the kid that went "ummm actually ostriches don't bury their heads in the sand" and my parents hated it lmao. I am still I guess but to a lesser extent :p
Haha, yep!! I must’ve been so annoying, looking back. As an adult, I’ve learned to restrain myself lol. It’s hard because it seems most people know so little about animals!

Render

If you can lick it, it's probably safe
Banned
Maybe 13, back before the internet came along. Was probably about 19 before I found out 'furries' were a thing and I was like, 'oh, well, I guess I am this thing'