• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How open are you about being a furry?

LemonJayde

No wait I hate you
A lot of people I know (none of them being furries, for sure) are not very open about many of their hobbies. I don't quite understand it, they act like its some ass disease that you catch if they tell you about it.

So I would like to know: how open are you to friends and family about being a furry? Are you the kind of person that sweeps all signs of being a furry under the rug when people ask, or does everyone you know know about your hobby? (Please, please dont use the term "Coming out" bescause BEING A FURRY IS NOT A FREAKING SEXUALITY.)

I am the kind of person who kind of hints it to friends, but they don't quite understand it so they shrug off the term "furry". My parents don't exactly KNOW, persay. They know that I draw anthro art and all that, but other than that, not really. My best friends know and support it.

So how open are you about it? Just wondering

Well, most people know that i draw antro animals and make fursuits.
But they don't know of the term furry or anything like that.

Xeno

Don't know if you could call it being "open" but if they ask me (whatever reason that they would) I tell them.

CerbrusNL

I am legion, for we are many.
As open as your average bank vault.
(Aka, only to those that need to enter)

Lazykins

Self-Imposed Tsar
I'm completely open about it. Its not really something I need to hide.

Besides, it nets me hilarious conversations with my friends. But then again, we make bad jokes about anything.

Piroshki

Not very.
If for some reason one of my friends knows what a furry is and asks if I am one, I won't lie about it. I wear a tail sometimes when I hang out with them, but they probably think it's more of an anime thing even though I was never really that into anime. Besides that, I don't really do anything to show it. I don't like family and friends looking at my furry drawings, but I don't exactly like 'em looking at my non-furry drawings either, so I just keep everything stored away in my hard drives or in my mess of a room where they won't find them unless they already know where they are.

Dreaming

(Please, please dont use the term "Coming out" bescause BEING A FURRY IS NOT A FREAKING SEXUALITY.)

Last time I checked, ''Coming out'' wasn't limited to sexual orientations. :B

Also:

-Being secretive about the fandom:
If you think you need to hide your involvement in the fandom as if it was a sexuality please refer to this thread: http://forums.furaffinity.net/thread...-quot-AS-FURRY!

Having said that, I'm not really that ''open'' outside of the internet.

Schwimmwagen

I don't care if people know, because it doesn't fucking matter.

Though if they accuse me of being part of the yiffy dogfucking lot, that's something different.

Unsilenced

Mentlegen
When I first started doing furry art I was super-secretive about it. I actually destroyed the first drawing I made so that nobody would know.

Now there's just a giant manila folder full of sketches sitting on my desk, and often a loose drawing-in-progress or two floating around my room. fuckthat.jpg :v

Vaelarsa

resident spaceship
I really don't give a shit.
I'll wear my ears and tail out, sometimes. Some of my friends / family have seen my furry art.
I don't make it a point to be obnoxious and attentionwhorey about it, like "HEY. Did you know I'm a furry? Let me tell you about furries!" or any kind of related stupid bullshit, but I'm not going to go out of my way to hide my interests, either.
And a lot of them don't know what furry is, to begin with. It usually just comes off to them as "Oh, you like to draw and dress up as a cat."

LemonJayde

No wait I hate you
That is a good way to go about it. That's basically what I do. I explained my art to my mom (wo was going through my art on the computer) yesterday. She seemed...interested. But I don't give a shit either. I've been a caracal for three years straight for Halloween, and my friends wonder why I do that but...eh, too much explaining so I say "It's my FURsona."

Cain

Guess what mood I'm in today.
To be honest, I don't think furry would be welcomed with open arms here. >_>

I'm not super-secretive around it, but when my dad gets all nosey and shit, staring at my computer screen, scanning for BAD THINGS, I just shoo him away.
Thank god it's MY computer.
Told my sister I like anthropomorphics, though.

Told a friend. Etc.

I won't openly discuss it, least of all my parents, but I'm not trying to cover it all up.

LemonJayde

No wait I hate you
To be honest, I don't think furry would be welcomed with open arms here. >_>

I'm not super-secretive around it, but when my dad gets all nosey and shit, staring at my computer screen, scanning for BAD THINGS, I just shoo him away.
Thank god it's MY computer.
Told my sister I like anthropomorphics, though.

Told a friend. Etc.

I won't openly discuss it, least of all my parents, but I'm not trying to cover it all up.

Yeah, my friends always go through my iPad looking at art and they come across some anthro art and stuff and are like "...what is this?" and I'm like "a commission." because they don't quite understand or support it that much so I'd rather keep it to me and my best friends until I can find a way to explain it to them.

Aetius

It's Me Gordon, Barney from Black Mesa
A hobby is a hobby, i dont see a reason for shoving it into the faces of others.

Zenia

*shrugs* Everyone in my life knows about my furry hobby. I don't go around saying "I AM A FURRY, AND PROUD OF IT!!" though. It just isn't anything I think to hide. It is just like me being a Harry Potter or Doctor Who fan.

SnowFox

I'll be taking this shameful disgusting secret to the grave.

Saiko

GTWT Survivor
Eh, only 4 people I know irl know about it. For one, I don't scream FURRY. I don't have any sketchbooks or even that much on my pc, so I can't say I like to draw anthros. Second, there's not much point in blabbing about it in the hopes of people not caring because there are those who DO care and DON'T like it. Why risk being considered a freak just in the hopes of maintaining the status quo if you can maintain the status quo without the risk? Now as for the people who do know, the first was another furry. The second was a friend who was off to college, and I felt like screwing with him. The third had just seen a "1000 Ways to Die" marathon, including THAT episode; so I decided to set him straight. The fourth was a friend who moved away and seemed like she might enjoy the fandom some.

Of course if anyone asks me, ya sure I'll tell them; but I doubt that'll happen any time soon.

Last edited:

Ozriel

Inglorious Bastard
About as open as---

Ah dammit, Cerb said what I was going to say.

Its a hobby to me, so I don't tell people when asked. When they ask, I only give them one detail of my involvement with the fandom which is costume making.

Kellie Gator

Moral Minority
I'm proud of who I am but I'm a rather private human being who keeps things to myself. If people asked I'd tell the truth.

gokorahn

Fluffiness level: 9002
I don't hide it, but I don't tell everyone I meet. So far my best friend knows, some other furries, my parents, and a guy on Xbox who is/was anti-furry. It was funny was hell when I told that guy, hehehe.

ObsidianLaughter

HI GUYYYYYYYYYYYS
I mostly keep it to myself. Its not like I'm ashamed, its more employers tend to screen you when you're looking for jobs and while I might not be into the darker side of furrydom, other people may not think that.

Its an employment thing.

Cyril

Post-rock Crusader
As open as your average bank vault.
(Aka, only to those that need to enter)
pretty much this. nobody in RL knows or needs to know, a few people on another site know, and most people who know are on FA or FAF.

because frankly who cares.
I make no effort to hide it, but I'm not gonna go prancing through the streets saying "I'M A FURRY LOOK AT ME" like a lot of idiots in the fandom seem to do.

FURRY PRIDE