• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How open are you about being a furry?

Moar Krabs

Aight boys
Banned
I am still new to the furry community and I am trying to figure out how open I should be about being a furry to my friends, family, and coworkers. Currently, I am an undergrad studying Elementary Education and I will be graduating in May and starting my Master's in the next fall. I doubt my family would care all that much, but I am terrified how it could affect my career. Teachers have zero private life and if the administration or a parent doesn't like what you do outside of school, you could kiss your job goodbye. There are so many misconceptions about the furry community and I worry that they could damage my reputation as an educator. I am a very open person and I hate the idea of keeping something I love private, especially something so harmless. Are there any furries here who are teachers who can speak to this? I am just at a loss and really could use some guidance. TYIA.
Honestly, if you don’t want to tell them, don’t tell them. If you do, then tell them.

L

Leinad433

Attachments

• 60s-spiderman-meme-my-body-is-ready.jpg
    60s-spiderman-meme-my-body-is-ready.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 69

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Both my teenagers are furries. :) Heck, their interest is what ultimately
led me here.
My son tried to come out of the closet when he told me he was a furry a year ago. He got the surprise of his life when I casually said I knew & I told him I was a furry too. Which is strange, because I told him I was going to furcons whem he was younger. He apparently thought a furcon was a type of anime con.

B

BahgDaddy

My son tried to come out of the closet when he told me he was a furry a year ago. He got the surprise of his life when I casually said I knew & I told him I was a furry too. Which is strange, because I told him I was going to furcons whem he was younger. He apparently thought a furcon was a type of anime con.

You must be a pretty cool parent. :)

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
You must be a pretty cool parent. :)
My son and I get along great, so he obviously thinks so. Other parents would probably accuse me of being irresponsible and possibly criminally so!

B

BahgDaddy

My son and I get along great, so he obviously thinks so. Other parents would probably accuse me of being irresponsible and possibly criminally so!

Yeah, everyone likes to bash on parents for not raising their kids right, by which they mean not exactly like they're doing, or an idealized version of what they're probably not doing.

Telnac

Fundamentalist Heretic
Yeah, everyone likes to bash on parents for not raising their kids right, by which they mean not exactly like they're doing, or an idealized version of what they're probably not doing.
yeah. With the exception f abusive parents I try to not judge. Parenting is hard and few parents do it well. Most just do the best they can.

G

Ginza

I'm not open about it, nor closed off. I don't go up to my friends and say "oh my god look at my fursona!!" Or "I have something to tell you... I'm a... Furry". However, I will often joke about furries with my friends, which inevitably sparks discussion. Through discussion, and occasional finding of furry art I have on my camera roll, they'll question it. Usually I'm fairly open in saying "oh yeah, I'm a furry" but never going into it more. It's not a major thing in my life, and so I separate my love for anthropomorphic animals from my real life. Of those who do know, I've had one of the following reactions

- wtf man that's weird (never mentions it again except to joke a bit)
-cool
-idk what furries are in all honesty but I don't care
-*genuine interest*
-*becomes furry themself??*

midnightsparky

/̵͇̿̿/’̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ Protect your nutz
I can totally understand the OP. In a perfect world, we all could be transparent about our likes, interests and etc, with no worries or fear...but reality sucks. I am not in education... but my mum has a masters and is a teacher... and I can tell you right now, in this day and age with social media, you better keep your furry world and your teacher world separate if you want to not jeopardise your career! For the matter, you better keep drinking, partying and etc separate too. It really sucks, but all of this is taken seriously. Even something like carmeet burnouts as Legacy mentioned... Its lame arse 100%, but it is what it is.

NOT only that... but besides *those* kinds of parents, there also exists (in most areas) 'teacher politics'... What I mean by that, is bids for jobs, and there are other so called educators that will try to find any reason to knock you out of the running so they get the job (oh yeah, there is a LOT of corruptness and B.S. in school systems). Having a squeeky clean Facebook and etc is your best bet.

I am not blatantly open, but at the same time I despise hiding shit and don't go out of my way to do so. For instance, I have a large pawprint, Australia flag and 'OzFurs' text on my back windscreen of my car. Honestly I only just been opening up the past year or so. Not hiding does have repercussions, but I just got tired of the feeling of living ulterior lives. Yes, there have been those 'wtf' & 'wait, what?' moments from people, family, and etc. I do also ponder how this will effect my YT and etc, but meh. I reckon for anyone in the furry world, revealing will always be one of those grey zones with no perfect outcome.

starstorm09

inactive account
I keep being a furry secret from my family and work. I've always liked to keep the boundary between my personal life and my work very strong, so being furry naturally falls into that.

Atomic_Redhead

Minnesooootan
Thank for all the great responses! I just really wish the world could be as accepting as everyone here is. My love of Star Wars would never get me fired, but loving furries would. Hopefully, the world can become more accepting <3

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
Anyone who is a star wars fan obviously has unprotected sexual intercourse with ewoks and should be fired.
ewok pillow.jpg

And Trekkies obviously have a rubber forehead fetish, just like how Terminator and BSG fans are secretly toaster fuckers, and I won't even get into talking about fans of closeted car-shaped robots. :p

JustSomeDude84

Which is why you should consider having two accounts. One social one and one private one.
Just don't get carried away with it, in general. I've made a huge amount of accounts with different usernames over the years, none of which I'd consider an "identifying" account. Ironically, I don't even use a public account for myself IRL on social media, I've been too afraid to post anything (general stuff, like music or whatnot) at all that I might have a passing interest in. I've used anonymity too much that I don't really know what my formal name means to me, professionally or otherwise.

J

JJPaw

I am still new to the furry community and I am trying to figure out how open I should be about being a furry to my friends, family, and coworkers. Currently, I am an undergrad studying Elementary Education and I will be graduating in May and starting my Master's in the next fall. I doubt my family would care all that much, but I am terrified how it could affect my career. Teachers have zero private life and if the administration or a parent doesn't like what you do outside of school, you could kiss your job goodbye. There are so many misconceptions about the furry community and I worry that they could damage my reputation as an educator. I am a very open person and I hate the idea of keeping something I love private, especially something so harmless. Are there any furries here who are teachers who can speak to this? I am just at a loss and really could use some guidance. TYIA.

If you have second guesses about how it'll affect your life - don't be that open about it. I don't know why, to this day, this is a continual issue for a lot of furries. Coming out as a furry is not as challenging as coming out as gay to a bunch of people who are still living in the time pre-legalized marriage for same sex couples in the U.S. Furry is an optional hobby that is determined by the amount of investment you make on whether or not you're staying. Being Gay or vice versa, there isn't much of a choice there. I'm hesitant more on being open about my bi status to some people than I am throwing it out there that I'm this furry little totem.

Honestly, re-reading this, it shouldn't be a no-brainer. Again, why the hell do furries always find this an issue?

Mudman2001

Wolf of Many Talents
If you have second guesses about how it'll affect your life - don't be that open about it. I don't know why, to this day, this is a continual issue for a lot of furries. Coming out as a furry is not as challenging as coming out as gay to a bunch of people who are still living in the time pre-legalized marriage for same sex couples in the U.S. Furry is an optional hobby that is determined by the amount of investment you make on whether or not you're staying. Being Gay or vice versa, there isn't much of a choice there. I'm hesitant more on being open about my bi status to some people than I am throwing it out there that I'm this furry little totem.

Honestly, re-reading this, it shouldn't be a no-brainer. Again, why the hell do furries always find this an issue?
Because of how the main stream media treats the fandom and how other's who are open about it act. Thanks to CSI and HBO in the media most people who normally don't deal with us dailly think were sex crazed oddities. I’m talking to someone on a more “adult” site who watched the HBO stuff and I think he thinks that’s how I am. The bad part is the we know how niche it is in the fandom but most people don’t, if you want an example look how the anime community was for a while and now I trip and find someone who knows a little and is fine with it.
And don’t me started about how people assume all of us act like “John/Jane Doe” who as X rep around town because they are a furry also. Fighting that fight now...

Baalf

Will accept free hugs and tummy rubs.
Personally, if someone judges me for being a furry, then they're idiots. I don't feel it's something that needs to be a big secret.

Theonix

Theon, the Pewter Wolf
I'm also new to the furry community, and I guess I'm not open to it at all, haha; I'm pretty discreet about it. It's just that the community has taken so much backlash, I'm honestly kind of scared to "come out" as a furry. People just think furries are people who are sexually attracted to animals. I'm already gay, and coming out of the closet as a homosexual has been a journey already.

ChapterAquila92

Resident Bronze Dragon Kasrkin
Banned
I'm also new to the furry community, and I guess I'm not open to it at all, haha; I'm pretty discreet about it. It's just that the community has taken so much backlash, I'm honestly kind of scared to "come out" as a furry. People just think furries are people who are sexually attracted to animals. I'm already gay, and coming out of the closet as a homosexual has been a journey already.
Your mileage may vary.

When my friends picked up on my being a furry in high school, the overall sentiment was indifference with a bit of light trolling on the side when they discovered Encyclopedia Dramatica. Before then, they never knew what a furry was, just that I was fascinated by lizard-people at the time. To be fair, this fascination also preceded any knowledge I had of the Fandom's existence as well (starting, innocently enough, with my friends introducing me to Warhammer in Grade 6).

My parents similarly didn't care too much about it, so long as my involvement was neither illegal nor impeding my ability to function properly as a human being in society.

Sabrewulf

Storm Dragon
I guess I'm somewhat lucky in that I didn't become actively involved in the fandom until recently, even though I've known about it since around 2005. I never really went out and about telling people I was a furry, but my friends know I went to Eurofurence last August and none of them really seemed to care one way or another. My mother and my sisters just know I went to some kind of geeky convention, but I only see them once every couple of weeks, so they don't really need to know.

*shrug*

If people ask me, I'll give them an honest answer. Other than that, I just keep it to myself. I don't pester people about me watching Smash Bros. tournaments either lol.

L

lupi900

I don't i hide i use anthro wallpapers on my desktop, I've told 2 people I'm furry & never had any issuses. Beyond the second guy going a anti-brony rant's or how there paedo's...ugh.

S

silveredgreen

I'm very open. I will just straight up tell people both online and IRL that i'm a furry. Why should i be embarrassed about something harmless that interests me?