• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How to browse/search art effectively

nyshox

Hi everyone, I'm not so familiar with FA yet. All I know now is the simple search and browse in the site as well as the +watch subscription system. I'd like to know if there are better ways to look up for artwork and artists on FA.
Thanks

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
FA's not exactly good when it comes to search. People often don't bother tagging their art, either properly or at all.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Which is even more fun with exotics like Sergals.
Sergals were made up to satisfy people's gore/vore and rape fantasies. Often at the same time.
Urban Dictionary: Sergal

Welcome to the world of the socially and sexually deviant. I have no intention of being your guide. :p

L

-..Legacy..-

Yep, I'm not following cannon lol.

Maybe a wee bit of blood though... I've considered a Tokyo Ghoul variation recently.

Yakamaru

Worshiper of Monster
Yep, I'm not following cannon lol.

Maybe a wee bit of blood though... I've considered a Tokyo Ghoul variation recently.
To be honest I do like the looks of the species. Have considered making one, actually. A side character or a secondary sub-Fursona.

..Shit. We're off-topic. For the nth time.

On-topic:

I'd recommend using e621 for Furry related shit. You can use the filter settings. Safebooru, too. There are a lot of sites you can use that are more tailored towards SFW if that is what you prefer. e621 is more tailored towards NSFW.

The best is a working tag and search function. A lot of the shit going up on e621 from my personal experience are tagged properly.

L

-..Legacy..-

To be honest I do like the looks of the species. Have considered making one, actually. A side character or a secondary sub-Fursona.

I like the look, but I do feel it will get more justice with a more realistic suit. Something that will even make the velociraptor guys at Con run away lol.

We need to get back on topic...apologies.

L

-..Legacy..-

To the OP, keep in mind the menu system on the browse function should be set as vague as possible. Too specific, no hits.

Hi everyone, I'm not so familiar with FA yet. All I know now is the simple search and browse in the site as well as the +watch subscription system. I'd like to know if there are better ways to look up for artwork and artists on FA.
Thanks
You can use a few special "tags" and regex syntax to limit the search:
@keywords [keywords] will search for keywords only
@lower [username] will search for submissions posted by a specific user
@title [title] will search for a title
@message [search terms] will search in the description
@filename [search terms] will search for the terms in the submission filename (not really useful imho but it's nice to have nonetheless)
| means 'OR' (not an absolute OR though so it can match various patterns)
& means 'AND' (useful to exclude a set of things or make sure two or more patterns are both present)
! means 'NOT' it negates the pattern following it. It can also be used for keywords so for example fox !wolf.

On top of this you can use "quotes" to search for an exact match in the plain text of the description/keywords. That means you can search for ":icon[username]:" if you wish. For example this expression here ( ":icon[username]:" | ":[username]icon:" | "[username]" ) & ! ( @lower [username] ) is useful if you want to search for mentions of a user outside of their galleries.

The best way to learn though is to experiment :)
Try searching for submissions you already know and learn how to narrow down your search.

Last edited:

Belatucadros

Bitches love sticks