• Fur Affinity Forums are governed by Fur Affinity's Rules and Policies. Links and additional information can be accessed in the Site Information Forum.

How to deal with denying something

Pheanir

I recently got my first couple of art requests, yay!
However, I just had to deny a request due to it being reasonably (for me) against what I want to draw and what I am capable of in terms of "drawing skills".

And I still get this feeling like it is a bad thing that I didn't provide the requester with what they asked for, even though I cognitively know this sounds even more absurd and illogical.

Does anybody have any tips how to deal with this?
I'm usually not afraid to say no (anymore), but I'm really having mixed feelings. =s

Yakamaru

Yee to the haw
Well, IMO as an artist you have the right to refuse drawing art for someone for any reason. You can refuse to give a reason, or you can be honest with them about it. IMO honesty is the best to go about it as proper communication is important for any sort of relationship, be it a friendly one or a professional one.

If you don't want to draw something because you don't like it, let them know. I'd recommend setting up a ToS where you will let people know what you will and will not draw if you haven't already.

As far as drawing skills go, "practice makes the master" I'd say. If you don't practice you won't get better. And on that front I'd recommend asking other artists how they draw, possibly watch some livestreams to do some research. There are plenty of livestreams to watch, not to mention videos about.

This post may not help much as it's nothing more than my opinion as a regular commissioner, but I do highly value communication with artists.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, man.

Nadiafur

Sleek!
Yakamaru pretty much said it all, but I might add that if you're doing paid artwork (or even free artwork), treat it like a non-art job! If you're an electrician and your customer asks if you can do plumbing while you're at it, nobody would blame you for saying no.

Something that you can also do is recommend another artist or commissioner who might do the subject matter that was asked for?

Pheanir

Firstly, to you both, Yakamaru and Nadiafur, thanks for your replies. =)

@ Yakamaru:
The ToS is something I thought of, in the past. Haven't set up anything like that, because I still consider myself not good enough to be too serious about it. I'll keep it in mind, though.
I follow 6 different artists' streams atm, but this is good advice nevertheless. The biggest problem about this: All of them live in the US, I live in Europe; they usually go live when I'm about to go to sleep.
Thanks for your words, toughening up and accepting denial as being okay (in these cases) is really hard. =/

@ Nadiafur:
Hmm, well-nigh all artists I know/follow/watch etc. don't do requests. I would need to do some research for that. Anyways, I think it's a smart idea, maybe I can do some up-front-research for those occasions.
Thanks for clearing my mind a bit. =)

Yakamaru

Yee to the haw
A ToS could go a long way for people to know what you will and will not draw. If for instance you don't want to/like drawing vore, the commissioner/requester will have that knowledge beforehand, knowing what to expect in terms of art.

Communication is important, and the more information both parties have, especially during the beginning, the better.

Just my opinion as a commissioner though.

Pheanir

A ToS could go a long way for people to know what you will and will not draw. If for instance you don't want to/like drawing vore, the commissioner/requester will have that knowledge beforehand, knowing what to expect in terms of art.

Communication is important, and the more information both parties have, especially during the beginning, the better.

Just my opinion as a commissioner though.

It's a healthy and comprehendible opinion, I think.
I started taking requests to better myself at drawing and I fear that setting up ToS could potentially "scare people off" of that. I think I'll start by listing a few things for myself first and then proceed from there. =)